Author Topic: Life on the Farm  (Read 113319 times)

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: Life on the Farm
« Reply #405 on: August 20, 2022, 10:52:55 am »
Thoughts and Prayers sent Bud, sorry for Your loss ! Bob

Thanks Bob.

They are very welcome
and much appreciated.

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #406 on: August 20, 2022, 11:02:55 am »
That is beautiful corn. I always grew a corn patch every three years and vacuum sealed what I grew for the freezer. I put up enough the last time to last 4 years and surprisingly it was as good 4 years later as when I put it up.

I restocked this year but old age has caught up with me so I made a trip to the local Amish community and bought my corn for $3.50-$4.00 a dozen rather than grow it myself. I have put countless tons of manure in my garden spot over the years and keeping the weeds out of my corn patch is a very labor-intensive job which I can no longer do.

Thanks Eric. It could have used a little more rain but it’s looking pretty good yet.

I remember one spring one of my friends had been watching a lot of home and garden TV. He decided he wanted to turn part of his lawn into garden. I helped him till a spot. He wanted something four times as big.

I told him he’d be able to grow plenty of weeds in the area we tilled already.

A few weeks later he said I was right.

He grew enough weed seeds in that spot to last another 200 years and then he turned it back into lawn.

It’s sometimes a shame that it takes a young back to work in the garden.

The older I get the more I appreciate a nice garden.

I’ve seen pictures of yours in the past and they were well taken care of.

Bjrogg

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #407 on: August 22, 2022, 07:22:06 am »
Had a nice rain Saturday evening. I ended up getting .7” my brother got 1.5” and my nephew got .9”

It was certainly needed and welcome.

Bjrogg

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #408 on: August 22, 2022, 07:36:19 am »
I picked several bags of sweet corn and my wife and daughter husked it.

Then I boiled it and blanched it in the kids swimming pool. Really helps keep the heat and humidity out of the house.

Then my wife cut it off the cob and I bagged it in freezer bags and put it in freezer.

Had to sample several cobs for quality control. They all passed inspection. Em em good

Bjrogg

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #409 on: August 22, 2022, 07:38:18 am »
Everyone was a good tired after that. With a good feeling of accomplishment

Bjrogg

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #410 on: August 22, 2022, 01:42:45 pm »
Wow, that corn looks good!  Ours won't be ready for another week or two.  Tomatoes just starting to get ripe, too, and more summer squash and raspberries than we know what to do with.
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #411 on: August 26, 2022, 07:25:53 am »
Picked first tomato yesterday WB. Sure is hard to beat the flavor of fresh from the garden sweet corn and tomatoes.
Pretty much everything fresh out of the garden.

The guys have been working at getting stuff ready in the shop. We have a lot of stuff to get ready and make repairs on.

I’ve been working in the fields, but I’m thinking I should be able to help in the shop today.

The first navy’s we planted are starting to turn. I’m thinking about another two weeks maybe three.

Bjrogg

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #412 on: August 26, 2022, 07:30:22 am »
It’s hard to believe as dry as it’s been, but I’m finding white mold in some of our beans. I’m hoping it doesn’t spread to much. It’s late enough in the season now that hopefully it doesn’t hurt our harvest seriously. This can be a very devastating disease for us. Cool temperatures and heavy dews are the perfect environment for it.

Bjrogg

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #413 on: August 26, 2022, 07:33:57 am »
When I got home last night I finished picking the first row of sweet corn. Then I cut the stalks off and put them in my pickup bed. Then I spread them out in my field.

I did this to give my cantaloupe and watermelon a little more room.

Bjrogg

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #414 on: August 27, 2022, 07:41:19 am »
Haven’t had much time to work on personal projects lately.

Last night I put in some personal overtime and put my new ladder stand together. Then I watched the sunset

I put in a food plot this year and I know right where I want to set this stand up. Hopefully I can find the time to get it done.

Today the grandkids are coming over to help me with sweet corn. It’s always good to have their help. Especially since they are getting big enough to really help.

Bjrogg

Offline M2A

« Reply #415 on: August 27, 2022, 11:18:51 pm »
Looks like you had a good assembly line going for putting up the corn, like how you used the kiddy swimming pool. The wife and I put up about 8 doz. a few weeks ago. First year with out any kids living full time in the house so not sure if that will be too little or too much. So long as we still have some for Christmas and Easter dinners it will all be good.
We didn't grow any beans this year, Thats probably a good thing, doubt we would have had the labor to hand harvest snap beans. But I have seen that mold before....glad you think your far enough along it will not cause major issues.
Had the guys start on some Jona Macs and Gala. I hope by Monday they can get the gala in the old orchard picked off and we can start on the ones in the new orchard, they are some pretty apples. Its kinda the calm before the storm right now. Just trying plug along at things waiting for the main season apples to ripen up.
Mike           

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #416 on: August 30, 2022, 07:53:04 pm »
Saturday we really got the assembly line going.

Not sure how many quart bags will filled but had to be close to fifty. And three ice cream buckets for the holidays.

We should have plenty of corn now. My wife uses it in a lot of the dishes she makes up. It really adds flavor to them. Nothing like the canned stuff from the store.

Bjrogg

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #417 on: August 30, 2022, 07:59:43 pm »
Was planning on getting some play time jobs done Sunday but came down with a stomach flue and was in no shape for anything.

Monday was still pretty wozzy but managed to get my ladder stand up. And trim around a couple other ones.

My first real food plot.

Bjrogg

Offline chamookman

« Reply #418 on: August 31, 2022, 03:24:20 am »
Looks like a great place to Stick a Deer BJ  (SH) :-D ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #419 on: August 31, 2022, 07:20:21 am »
Looks like a great place to Stick a Deer BJ  (SH) :-D ! Bob

Sure hoping so Bob. I’ve been thinking about doing this for a couple years now. I can see them giving me a good shot already.

Bjrogg

PS when the leaves drop I’ll have a good view of the sunrise over the lake to the east just down the hill.