Author Topic: Life on the Farm  (Read 113425 times)

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: Life on the Farm
« Reply #720 on: May 23, 2023, 07:00:48 am »
Hospital said my brother had a good night. That they even got him up and gave him a little walk. Said today would probably be hard but he has a high tolerance for pain.

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #721 on: May 23, 2023, 07:31:19 am »
Glad to hear he made it through surgery well and is on the mend. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #722 on: May 23, 2023, 09:33:32 am »
Glad to hear he made it through surgery well and is on the mend. :)
 Pappy

Thanks Pappy. I just got a text from him. He said he was in a little pain but happy I finished planting soybeans. Told him we had everything under control and not to be in a rush to get out of there. Was really good to hear from him. He was glad to get his phone back. I’m sure he will be playing games on it.lol more than communicating with everyone. That’s ok though

Bjrogg

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #723 on: May 24, 2023, 09:31:48 pm »
Talked to my brother on the phone today. He sounded really good. He had visitors so we only talked for a few minutes but it was really good to hear his voice and it sounded strong and happy.

Getting everything ready to start planting Pinto beans.

Still cool. Talking chance of frost next two nights. Supposed to warm up next week.

Bjrogg

Offline M2A

« Reply #724 on: May 26, 2023, 06:09:39 am »
Good to hear things seem to be moving in the right direction for your brother.

Been cool nights here but looks like the frost is over till fall. Long stretch of dry weather coming now. The guys will need to be laying pipe soon and running the pumps. They planted some sweet corn yesterday, maybe 2 acres, and its going to need to be irrigated to get a good even stand. I been spending most of my time in the orchards, pretty happy with how things are looking so far there, but its a long way to go yet. 1st plantings of tomatoes, peppers, cuks, and zuks are in the ground. Strawberries are starting to color up, but the deer have been pretty hard over them over the winter. Going to be lots of small berries this year and that makes for a hard sell but thats how things go.

Been keeping busy in my free time trying to process a bitter nut hickory into staves. Was not in my plans but have to take advantage  of the moment. Nice straight stuff but has some bark pockets in the wood so going to get what i can from it and keep my fingers crossed.

Whelp coffee finished up, I best get out there.
Mike                 

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #725 on: May 26, 2023, 09:33:41 am »
Thanks Mike. Glad to hear things are looking good there. Hope the trend continues.

Dr just told my brother that there was residual cancer in the tumor they removed. He was confident he got it all though and his lymph nodes were clean

I’m planting our pinto beans now. Wish it was a little warmer. Still was a light white frost yet this morning. It’s supposed to warm up next week but they’ve been saying that for a month. Here by the lake it seems like when it should be a nice day. The wind decides it wants to blow off the lake it cools thing down a lot. Feels really good when it gets hot out but not so much in the early spring.

Not complaining though. As Pappy says Life is good

Bjrogg

Offline chamookman

« Reply #726 on: May 27, 2023, 04:32:44 am »
Thought of You yesterday Morning - had a hard white Frost here. Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #727 on: May 28, 2023, 12:02:58 pm »
Thought of You yesterday Morning - had a hard white Frost here. Bob

It was a light one here Bob. I’m sure hoping it’s the last one for this spring. And we don’t get an early one this fall.

Especially since we started planting Pinto beans. They won’t be as hardy with the cold. They like it warm. Not necessarily extreme heat, especially when they are blossoming. The lake is still going to keep us about 15 to 20 degrees cooler than inland, but when they start getting up to the 90’s that’s alright with me and my crops.

Yesterday I finished planting Pintos. This field is my cousin’s grandpas farm. The people who bought the buildings really did an awesome job fixing everything up. I always enjoy seeing it. I text my cousin a picture and he didn’t realize it was his grandpa’s place until I told him. It could be the home of the Clydesdales.

Bjrogg

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #728 on: May 28, 2023, 12:04:40 pm »
Our soybeans are just starting to poke out. You can see them shoving the ground up.

Bjrogg

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #729 on: June 01, 2023, 07:04:01 am »
Had a very nice Memorial Day weekend. Not as nice as when we all went to the primitive meet in Marshall, but we did our best. Had two graduation parties and a wedding on Saturday. I was very tired but it was fun.

Then Sunday was my youngest grandson’s birthday party. I love that boy . He’s always gotta be the old ball. Everyone else in the family is MSU. So of course he has to be Michigan. His mother made the cake and said it proves her unconditional love making him this cake. Go Spartans.

We worked hard at planting black beans the last two days. My brother is back from hospital. He’s on the disabled list yet, but he has helped us move stuff around when we switch fields. He looks good and I can tell he’s itching to get back to work. We’re holding him back though. Need him healed up good first.

Was planting black beans at my cousins farm yesterday. Getting dusty now. Definitely warmed up. Slept with windows open past two nights. First time furnace hasn’t run in a long time.

Bjrogg

Offline BrianS

« Reply #730 on: June 01, 2023, 05:16:52 pm »
Love seeing the happenings at your farm. Thank you for taking the time to post the pictures and updates.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #731 on: June 02, 2023, 07:37:15 pm »
You’re welcome Brian. Glad you enjoy them. I always try to watch your videos too.

We should be done planting now. We put a lot of seeds in the ground in the last week. I should give you all some numbers if I get a chance. Lots of fresh new green lines showing up in fields now.

I got home a little early tonight and looked at the “Jawge” graft. It looks great to me but I’m guessing I should remove any apples if it gets any this year. Maybe Mike can give me some advice.

Bjrogg

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #732 on: June 02, 2023, 07:39:22 pm »
Jawge

Offline M2A

« Reply #733 on: June 03, 2023, 08:43:34 am »
Had a big long comment almost finished then pressed the wrong key and closed out the screen by accident :fp

Remove the fruit this year. See how it grows and maybe leaving a light crop next year. Looks great! Looks like the bloom made it through the spring frosts so you ought to get some fruit from the bigger tree. 28 degree F for 3 hours is a 90% kill during full bloom. We made it down to 29 for 30 min one night this year. Interesting to see the timing difference. We are about a month ahead. Lodi(July apples) will be ready in a month about. But a long way to go on Stamen and Rome with a mid October pick date. The season for Primary apple scab is over and I think I got through things well this year. Lots of early mornings, maybe tonight I can post a few sun rise pictures from the last month. Need to turn my attention to some of the field crops soon.

Been hot and dry here for a while. No rain in the forecast either. Odd for this time of year in SW Pa. Think the last rain was May 20th and that was less than .5"

Worked hard this week to finish everything to be able to do some work in the shop this weekend. I better start by cleaning up my mess:)
Mike   

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #734 on: June 03, 2023, 09:02:54 pm »
Thanks for the info Mike. That’s what I was thinking for my limited knowledge.

I did some mowing by my pond and beach. Made everything look a lot nicer.

Bjrogg