Author Topic: Sinew And Rattler Backed Paddle Bow  (Read 31013 times)

radius

Re: Sinew And Rattler Backed Paddle Bow
« Reply #45 on: June 12, 2008, 03:29:11 am »
did you glue it up with jello?

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #46 on: June 12, 2008, 05:05:18 am »
Nope....Homemade Hide Glue....from the Deer I shot two years ago.took all the scrap pieces of Hide...and the knee and Hip Joints and Hooves and boiled them down...and made my Own Glue....but don't do it in the House.......I learned My Lesson.... :P....The Wife didn't go for the Smell or the Mess........... ::)
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline DirtyDan

« Reply #47 on: June 12, 2008, 11:20:06 am »
Incredible job.  It looks like a real savage made it.  Great tiller, too.  I hope you harvest a critter with it.

Dan

Offline DanaM

« Reply #48 on: June 12, 2008, 11:22:50 am »
Incredible job.  It looks like a real savage made it.  Great tiller, too.  I hope you harvest a critter with it.

Dan

A real savage did make it :D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #49 on: June 12, 2008, 09:02:56 pm »
                                              Thanks Dan....and Dana.hush...Quit telling My Secrets!!!! ::)
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Woodland Roamer

« Reply #50 on: June 12, 2008, 10:52:03 pm »
That's a nice job on that bow Destructo. It has a really nice authentic look to it.

Alan
Alan Shook-Taylorsville NC

Bring back the Stone Age!

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #51 on: June 12, 2008, 11:06:50 pm »
Thanks Alan...I tried to make it as Museum Specific (wouldn't concider it Museum Quality) as I could...I really like it....it is one that I don't see Me parting with either! I really like making Authentic Bows...I am not into the newer styles....to me you may as well Buy a Recurve...JMO
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline david w.

« Reply #52 on: June 12, 2008, 11:23:55 pm »
very nice bow! i would like to make a paddle bow. do they have to be recurved? how did you bend the nocks?

thanks!
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #53 on: June 12, 2008, 11:25:58 pm »
very nice bow! i would like to make a paddle bow. do they have to be recurved? how did you bend the nocks?

thanks!
Too much to go into here...look for a PM..Thanks David for the Interest...wish it had this much when it was running for BOM...and didn't get a Vote!!!    ::)
2024...We Will Overcome

Phillip K

« Reply #54 on: June 12, 2008, 11:28:13 pm »
Thats The one. Rattle snake is good eatin if ya like eatin chicken off of tooth picks.
Nice Primitive Bow Senior. Darn I forgot to ask How ya did the curves tie on Or steam bent or?

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #55 on: June 12, 2008, 11:42:19 pm »
Darn I forgot to ask How ya did the curves tie on Or steam bent or?
The Tips on this Bow you were asking about were cut...damned near all the way through from the back to the Belly with a Triangle File...then I boiled them...and bent them over till they touched....Glued them....I then wrapped Sinew soaked in Hide Glue lengthwise over the Tips,,,and then a course around the Limb...just below the Nock...I did this with three Layers total to make sure that there was enough strength...it's a Lot of Work....but that is the way the Hupa Indians made theirs
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline david w.

« Reply #56 on: June 12, 2008, 11:48:54 pm »
thanks for everything you are the paddle bow master

[attachment deleted by admin]
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Phillip K

« Reply #57 on: June 13, 2008, 01:36:20 am »
I went to My Local Museum And seen Some bows and Arrows and Arrowheads, lots of Arrowheads, Made by Hoopa and Yurok Indians, Pretty close ya did there on that. I should see If I can get some photos At the Museum. Those are local Indian tribes up here.

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #58 on: June 13, 2008, 06:41:20 am »
I went to My Local Museum And seen Some bows and Arrows and Arrowheads, lots of Arrowheads, Made by Hoopa and Yurok Indians, Pretty close ya did there on that. I should see If I can get some photos At the Museum. Those are local Indian tribes up here.

Thanks Phillip....I would really like that!!
2024...We Will Overcome

Phillip K

« Reply #59 on: June 14, 2008, 04:13:12 pm »
Sorry People,  for reasons beyond my control I am not able to take photos of Native American Bows And Arrows,Arrow heads  At Clark Museum In Eureka California Because of Ceremonial reasons.
You can always Come to Humboldt county to view these relics in there cases.
I Don't understand if they are so Ceremonial, why aren't they on the Reservation. Another reason to be dissapointed in  Red Tape. >:(