Author Topic: Sumac as Bow Wood  (Read 20454 times)

Offline sailordad

Re: Sumac as Bow Wood
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2008, 02:08:39 am »
cant wait to se if this onw works out.

i know where i csn get all kinds of this stuff,some of it as old as i am. not ancient,but old enough to know better :D :D

thats really starting to look like a bow,hope it flings em;' well.

peace,
                                                                                             tim
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2008, 12:23:13 pm »
Ha, never would have thought it. A sumac bow huh.....That stuff grows all over here in the ditches and over grown farm land.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline DanaM

« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2008, 12:41:23 pm »
Ryano I cut it in centarl NY, near Rome. It grow like a weed and I saw it all over in PA also.

I have it out to 43#@ 26" and it still relayes into a good 1" of reflex, shot about a dozen times and I have to say it shoots nice :)

Have to tweak it a bit yet and do some sanding and then I will post more progress pics.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline DanaM

« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2008, 02:25:54 pm »
Well I have it out to 41@26" the tiller isn't perfect :( just unbraced its pretty much flat, I started with 4.5" of induced reflex so I guess for sumac its pretty good.
think I'm going to pike it 2" and redo the tips with overlays as the wood is fairly soft, also going to narrow the grip area a little for comfort. Probably put it on the form and toast the belly also. What ya all think??? Oh yea mass is 13oz

Braced

41#226"

Just Unbraced

Back Profile

Belly
« Last Edit: July 05, 2008, 02:49:48 pm by DanaM »
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Ryano

« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2008, 09:40:04 am »
Dana, it looks a touch hingy mid limb on the right limb in the picture. It could use some scraping from out side that area to the tip. Heat treating in some reflex couldnt hurt..... ;)

Offline DanaM

« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2008, 09:52:55 am »
Yea I saw that ryan theres a knot there and I need to get it bending a bit more from the knot out.
Going to pake it and add overlays also as the string is cutting in to the back.

Manistique, MI

Offline Ryano

« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2008, 01:31:15 pm »
It should be a very striking bow with that yellowish heart wood and the white sapwood.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2008, 02:25:18 pm »
Ryan its more green than yellow it didn't show in the pic. I cut an inch of each end and put it back on the form it has about 4" of reflex again.
Won't get back to it for a few days gonna let it rehydrate.

Manistique, MI

Offline The Burnt Hill Archer

• Potter County, Pennsylvania
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2008, 02:58:23 pm »
Thanks for the info Justin. Ive only seen the one with the red/purpleish fruit around here. im deffinately going to give it a go now!

Phil
stalk softly, and carry a bent stick.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2008, 03:12:43 pm »
Looks like this:

[attachment deleted by admin]

Manistique, MI

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2008, 06:51:03 pm »
Yep Dana, thats what I got...My tree book from Mo. Dept. of Conservation calls it winged sumac, go figure..do the seed pods droop on yours or do they stay upright like the pic? The ones I have here droop or hang down from the tree/ shrub???.....Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline DanaM

« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2008, 07:03:33 pm »
Brian I cut this in New York so I have no idear, we have staghorn sumac here in yooperland but its small shrubby crap.
Sorry I can't be more helpful ???

Manistique, MI

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2008, 07:12:38 pm »
Ya Dana got both ways here..If I dont knock it down it goes from shrub to tree....Im gonna cut some and see ;).....Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline The Burnt Hill Archer

• Potter County, Pennsylvania
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2008, 07:21:49 pm »
im glad to hear its comming allong. im not surprised it takes heat well though, being how its so soft. good luck man!

Phil
stalk softly, and carry a bent stick.

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2008, 09:34:38 pm »
That's been very interesting so far Dana. Like I need to add other woods to my collection - now your gonna have me eyeballing all the sumac thickets around here ;D..
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.