Author Topic: Sumac as Bow Wood  (Read 20682 times)

Offline Jesse

Re: Sumac as Bow Wood
« Reply #45 on: July 18, 2008, 10:31:02 pm »
Sumac :o I would never have thought to use that. Way to go Dana.
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #46 on: July 18, 2008, 10:49:43 pm »
Very cool Dana, looking foward to the pics.  I really like seeing all of these different woods being used.  It keeps it interesting and keeps me thinking.
Traverse City, MI

Offline BigWapiti

« Reply #47 on: July 19, 2008, 02:09:11 pm »
Dana, thats great!!

I went for a boat / hike trip up the columbia river yesterday - had my hand saw in my backpack (of course). There's groves of sumac up in those desert canyons - but for the life of me, I couldn't find a single one that was remotely straight enough to even consider for a bow.  Not even for a snakey bow. They grow like vines.

You wouldn't happen to have a before picture of your stave, just after it was cut, would you?

Anyone ever try Elderberry?  There are some very big "trees" of this stuff up in there too.  I'm going to go find one and give them a try too - I know they're pithy inside, but some of these were 6 or so inches in diam.  There must be some good wood around the pith on those.

Anyway, Dana, I love that bow - and your drive to try the new wood.

Mike
Mike B.
Central Washington State
"Take a kid hunting, it'll make a WORLD of difference" -me

Offline DanaM

« Reply #48 on: July 19, 2008, 02:41:27 pm »
Sorry Mike but I never took a before picture, not sure what type of Sumac you have up there but I'm pretty sure this
one is Staghorn Sumac. As for the elderberry I would try it, matter of fact send me one ;D

All I have left now is to seal the bow(and of course I'm out of true oil) and make a string then I can get the money shots up :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline BigWapiti

« Reply #49 on: July 19, 2008, 07:01:56 pm »
I guess the kind we have here is called Smooth Sumac - but sure looks similar to the picture posted on this thread.  I guess that may be why they're both have 'sumac' in their name, huh?  :)

So was your stave pretty straight to start with?  That is, not major curves that you had to deal with anyway?

I'm gonna keep looking

Great bow - I'll be watching this thread to see how you like it.

Thanks again.
Mike B.
Central Washington State
"Take a kid hunting, it'll make a WORLD of difference" -me

Offline The Burnt Hill Archer

• Potter County, Pennsylvania
« Reply #50 on: July 20, 2008, 01:46:24 am »
most of the staghorn we have around here is almost pipe strait. some with a gentle curviness to em, but mostly just strait.

Phil
stalk softly, and carry a bent stick.