Author Topic: water/cape buffulo with stone points........ has it been done??  (Read 47825 times)

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
Re: water/cape buffulo with stone points........ has it been done??
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2008, 06:56:29 pm »
Guys thats the funniest thing I've seen on here in a while I could just picture DT holding a camera bobbin around like crazy while he runs like mad and squeals like a little girl in a horror house.While someone else runs ahead of him yelling faster faster you fool you fool.

Would that person be from Georgia by any chance and squealing even louder????  ;D
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2008, 08:26:04 pm »
If it breathes,  sticks and stones can kill it ;D I wanna try.. HAWK
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2008, 09:28:15 pm »
But, Hawk the idea is to eat the herbavor not be worn by it!!!
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2008, 11:28:25 pm »
You guys are a bunch of little girls.  ::) Cape buffalo have a sweet spot that when shot broadside will allow the arrow to pass clear through punching both lungs and possibly the top of the heart.  Of course you want a large point since a buffalo can live for a day if you shoot it through both lungs with a small diameter broadhead.  :o Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline ozy clint

« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2008, 05:54:03 am »
okay, if you think it can be done, what would your setup be? selfbow? bow with a backing of some sort? what type of stone? what head design? etc, etc.  this has really got me intigued. i'm definatly going to look into it seriously.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2008, 10:54:23 am »
95# or more. I would use a selfbow just so people are sure it wasn't some FG abomination.  >:D I am trying to find another piece of Ipe that is suitable for the job. Salt Cedar shoots make a super heavy shaft, I have some that are 900 grains. I also might make tapered shafts from Jatoba or Ipe to increase the weight. For the points I would probably go 1 1/4" wide with a steep angle. Guys who have shot them with compounds have had better luck with steeper angle broadheads. I would make the points from the stone I got from Cowboy since it is harder than steel anyway.  ;) I have been looking into this for some time and I am going to do it.  It is just a matter of finding the time and the money at the same time.  ;D Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2008, 11:31:11 am »
yelling faster faster you fool you fool.

I think I just peed myself a little recognizing that quote from my childhood....10th Street Bridge, Bill Cosby!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2008, 11:58:14 am »
okay, if you think it can be done, what would your setup be?

At the risk of sounding like a know-it-all.....I've got two words.....atlatl dart >:D

Google mammoth hunting. Lot's of good theories there.

I wouldn't try this on my own, in any case.  Might even try driving the buffalo into water or (over a cliff) to slow it down. ;D
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2008, 01:48:18 pm »
Long range and .50  cal! Or .45-110!!!

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2008, 04:20:24 pm »
A10 Warthog with the depleted uranium shells and a second Warthog to back my shot.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2008, 05:41:29 pm »
It would be more appealing if I hadn't read all those Peter Hathaway Capstick books......;D
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2008, 07:01:31 pm »
Me too Steve! You ever read his last book he wrote? What a wild man!

I especially like the one where he is big game hunting in his suburban home near the trash dump! A little hamburger meat, an air rifle with scope and voila! Instant urban big game hunting!!! ;D

Offline Kegan

« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2008, 07:15:45 pm »
I still want to shoot a T Rex, but since they're not around anymore, I guess that would work ;D.

My 76# bow and light, 600 grain arrows hits really hard as is, even at 50 yards (after a while, I've punched a whole through our 2x4 back stop with .38 special blunt arrows). For elephant, buffulo, and other big beasties, something 85-100# with 850-1000 grain arrows would work. Mainly for elephant, as I'm convinced my 76# bow would kill a buffulo and anything else around htat size. As for points, I'd have to use whatever I can get from some other knappers. I only know how to make trade points, and that's not really stone, is it :P?

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2008, 09:42:02 pm »
  How the he^^ I get picked for this? Okay, I'll do it ;D. Let's take up a collection for the plane ticket and permits, I have the passport and I'll pay for the VISA. :) Did you ever hear the one about the Grizzly Guide that carried a 22 pistol for a back-up gun?,  all he had to do was shoot the hunter in the foot and run like hell. >:D
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2008, 10:42:32 pm »
I gues I've been volanteered for the camera man position! Can you pay for an extra ticket and expenses for a camera man Eddie? If so I'm in!  ;D