Author Topic: Best Arrow Set  (Read 156944 times)

Offline DanaM

Re: Best Arrow Set
« Reply #60 on: November 13, 2008, 06:44:07 pm »

dana, yeah, but she's a gal.  pat tells me, men (manly men, that is) drink PBR  ;D

She might be a gal but she can drink all three of us under the table Marius :o And probably a couple more to boot
plus she only goes about 100 lbs, you of all people must know how them German girls are ;) ;D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #61 on: November 13, 2008, 06:56:37 pm »
Pat, what are "rabbit zonker tracers"?  That's the first time I've seen em.  They look like dyed hair?
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline DanaM

« Reply #62 on: November 13, 2008, 07:00:14 pm »
Zonkers are strips of rabbit hair dyed in various colors, they are used in fly tying.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #63 on: November 13, 2008, 08:44:36 pm »
What Dana said. ;) I use them to help see my arrows in flight and on contact, especially with dark fletching and natural turkey and goose feathers. When shot they lay down and don't effect flight then spring open on contact so they are quite disable. Some folks make them from marabou feathers and some use synthetic tracers.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline sailordad

« Reply #64 on: November 13, 2008, 09:31:29 pm »
primitive luminocks  :o ;D 8)

i gotta remember that,that is way cool

tim
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Dustybaer

« Reply #65 on: November 14, 2008, 05:32:06 am »
She might be a gal but she can drink all three of us under the table Marius :o And probably a couple more to boot
plus she only goes about 100 lbs, you of all people must know how them German girls are ;) ;D

yep, i know....i married one  ;D

pat, how wide are those strips of fur?  i like the appearance and i happen to have some rabbit fur at home  ;D

Offline DanaM

« Reply #66 on: November 14, 2008, 06:53:02 am »
Marius the ones I have are about 1/8 inch wide

Manistique, MI

Dustybaer

« Reply #67 on: November 14, 2008, 09:45:05 am »
wow, that's narrow.  thanks dana.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
« Reply #68 on: November 14, 2008, 10:23:52 am »
Current List of Entries:

1. ZanderPomo
2. El Destructo
3. Limey-Josh
4. jackcrafty
5. DanaM
6. anglobow
7. mitchman
8. PatB
9. Dustybaer

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas

How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #69 on: November 14, 2008, 10:39:46 am »
Marius, The ones I get are 1/4" to 1/8" wide and cheap. Probably get enough strips to make a few dozen arrows for about $2 or less. If you are gonna cut your own, be ready for an itchy nose and lots of sneezing. :o ;).   For colors, I prefer white or the chartreuse. They seem to be the most visible under low light conditions, when they are needed most. 
  I pre-fit it around the shaft and cut to length, add glue and wrap around. I have been using fletch tape lately but have used TB glue or Duco and on one occasion I used contact cement. With the fletch tape and contact cement they stick when you apply them. For other glues a few straight pins will hold the tracer in place until the glue sets.       Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline IONIAN

« Reply #70 on: November 16, 2008, 10:36:01 am »
Sorry about the picture quality, but here is the dozen bamboo hex arrows that I spent a year on.

The next dozen will be starting soon.
"aim small, miss small"

Offline PeteC

« Reply #71 on: November 16, 2008, 02:20:31 pm »
These are the first of 2 sets  I'll post for what I suppose is the neo-primitive class of arrows.This first set are 5 switchcane shafts.4 hafted with trade broadheads,(from bandsaw blade),and 1 trade field point,(from a chainsaw bar),for deer targer practice.Secondary turkey wing feathers,and all bindings deer sinew.3 weigh in at 525gr.,are 30" from nock to base of head.There is a 6th arrow with field point,but broke its nock and had to shorten,so I left it out of the picture .All 6 shoot perfect.They are dipped in oil base paint for no other reason than to increase weight.I made these a couple of weeks ago,and they are matched to my snakey osage,"Shes got legs"..The other 3 are for my wife.They are 450 gr.and have the lighter heads. God Bless

[attachment deleted by admin]
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline PeteC

« Reply #72 on: November 16, 2008, 02:35:27 pm »
This is the second set of neo-primitive I'll post.They are chinese privet shafts ,topped with" critter gitters",(from band saw blade),for small game.I made these the other day.Turkey secondaries,deer sinew binding.All these arrows (both posts), are nothing special.It's what I hunt with.,The points are different sizes to match weight,they all weigh 525 gr. I included the wasted one( courtesy of my favorite son in law,Zach,who just joined this site last week),while we were stump shootin'.It was only this arrows 3rd shot.Get this,he broke mine with one I'd just built for him!!The critter gitters show no mercy.(I hope he reads this) Just funnin' you Zach.  God Bless

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 01:47:09 pm by PeteC »
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline anglobow

« Reply #73 on: November 16, 2008, 03:31:47 pm »
Good stuff all around everyone.
Pete, those critter gitters must be devastating. Privet is tuff stuff and it looks like it was no match for that point.

Neil

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
« Reply #74 on: November 18, 2008, 11:41:38 am »
IONIAN, have you shot those arrows yet?  (have you put points on them?)  They are truly awesome looking arrows...

PeteC, very cool critter points.  Great looking arrows overall!  Good to see that they have been tested in the field as well. ;D

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas