Author Topic: Best Arrow Set  (Read 157483 times)

EndoftheWorldSurvivor

Re: Best Arrow Set
« Reply #180 on: January 07, 2009, 01:30:44 am »
anyone know where to get some large obsidian pieces? i'm making heads. i've used flint and agate but i heard that obsidian carries a better edge.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #181 on: January 07, 2009, 04:19:41 am »
anyone know where to get some large obsidian pieces? i'm making heads. i've used flint and agate but i heard that obsidian carries a better edge.

Try trading for some in the trade section :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #182 on: January 07, 2009, 04:21:50 am »
                                                                   or there always eBay!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

EndoftheWorldSurvivor

« Reply #183 on: January 07, 2009, 06:17:49 pm »
ill check the trade posts. but ive already checked ebay. there are only smaller pieces, none big enough for spear heads.

Offline anglobow

« Reply #184 on: January 08, 2009, 05:57:20 pm »
Well, maybe there were some ballots lost in cyberspace.  :D
It was nice to see everyone's work. I am honored to be listed among the chosen ones.

Neil

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #185 on: January 08, 2009, 06:01:02 pm »
ill check the trade posts. but ive already checked ebay. there are only smaller pieces, none big enough for spear heads.

These ought to be plenty Big Enough for a Spear Point

cgi.ebay.com/RW-LARGE-BLACK-OBSIDIAN-SLICE-for-KNAPPING_W0QQitemZ300285578122QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item300285578122&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A4%7C65%3A10%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

I diabled the Link so it was legal....just add http://   to the front of it....or take the Item Number (item300285578122) from the Auction and look it up
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Bone pile

« Reply #186 on: January 20, 2009, 06:29:40 pm »
Don't know were your at ,but if there is a local rock/gem club check them out.I went to a meeting and asked around and found a fellow that had a hundred pounds or so gave me some for a buck/pound.And I'm in florida that's about as far away as you can get from the Buttes.Plus alot of them folks have saws and for a small fee will rough slab them out.
Bone pile
Venice Florida

jstarcher

« Reply #187 on: February 17, 2009, 01:24:31 pm »
Im crying with envy right now  :'(

alnbren

« Reply #188 on: February 19, 2009, 10:59:20 pm »
Jackcrafty,

I am facinated by the arrows you made for your daughter.  Not only are the fletchings, nocks and paint very cool, but those points are fantastic.  Where did you get the idea to do the points like that?  Did you harden the wood on the tip in any way?  How did you cut them the same way each time?

I love them.

Thanks,
Alnbren

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #189 on: February 20, 2009, 11:43:35 am »
Alnbren, I got the idea for those tips from some Comanche arrows shown in the picture below.
(A full size illustration of one of the arrows is also in Jim Hamm's Encyclopedia of Bows, Arrows, and Quivers, Vol 2)
I do not harden the wood unless it is hickory.  The arrows I made are birch.
I cut them the same way by eye....one at a time.  After I carve the first arrow point, I use it as a guide for the others.
I do the nocks the tapering the same way.  The tapering is a bit tricky because I have to make sure the arrow spines match and also keep tabs on the final weight.  I have to start with dowels that are matched very closely in spine and weight before they are carved.  In all, they take about an hour each to make.

Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

alnbren

« Reply #190 on: February 20, 2009, 10:20:39 pm »
Patrick,

Thanks for sharing.  They are very impressive.   I am envious and I wish i had some just like it! 

The carved heads appear to be bigger than the shaft.  Is that a optical illusion?

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #191 on: February 21, 2009, 01:00:37 am »
Thank you.  Yes, the heads are bigger.  The shafts started out as 5/16" diameter dowels....the main body of the shafts were reduced down and the heads remained at 5/16".  It probably would have been easier to use 1/4" dowels and just attach a larger diameter head.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #192 on: March 26, 2009, 01:31:03 am »
Hi Folks,  I just finished a new set for the upcoming summer 3d league.  They're modern arrows.  POC shafts, 43-45 lb spine, finished weight 360 gr + / - 2 gr.  Purchased feathers, horn reinforced nocks.
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #193 on: March 26, 2009, 01:34:06 am »
whoops doubled up on that one pick. here's more,  Ron

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #194 on: March 26, 2009, 01:35:28 am »
Dang I hope I shoot them better than I post them.   Ron