Author Topic: Best Arrow Set  (Read 157493 times)

Offline madcrow

• Swift, Silent, and covered in wood shavings.
Re: Best Arrow Set
« Reply #195 on: March 26, 2009, 01:37:51 am »
Those are too nice to shoot.  You must have had all the planets in line to get the weight that close.  I do get to get them within 20 grains.

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #196 on: March 26, 2009, 01:44:07 am »
Naw,  I just pay extra!  The company I buy my target shafts from are real sharp at matching weights and a little care carries that match through to the finished product.  Now trying to weight match a 1/2 dz cane arrows, thats hard!   Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #197 on: March 31, 2009, 06:58:37 pm »
sweet lookin arrow M-P? gonna be using a foxhide quiver?  ;D
Modern Day Tramp

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #198 on: April 01, 2009, 12:27:06 am »
Huntertrapper,   I've got a fox hide Quiver ~ 1/2 built.  Every time I get started working on it, something seems to come up.   It'll get done though.   Ron

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

AKAPK

« Reply #199 on: June 09, 2009, 05:32:41 am »
OK.....and here are the Primitives....these are Cane Shafts that I got from Cowboy........I think.... ???  They are fletched with Turkey Feathers and served with Sinew and Hide Glue....They are Self Nocked with Sinew and Hide Glue also....and are footed with Rosewood Shafts ....and Three have Stone Points... and One has Flu Flu Feathers and a Birdcage Blunt on it
talk about outstanding,Outsatnding !

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #200 on: June 09, 2009, 07:56:48 am »
Thanks PK....you are the only one who said anything about them lately....was kinda wondering if I deleted the Pictures!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline ncpat

« Reply #201 on: April 01, 2013, 08:21:28 pm »
Naw,  I just pay extra!  The company I buy my target shafts from are real sharp at matching weights and a little care carries that match through to the finished product.  Now trying to weight match a 1/2 dz cane arrows, thats hard!   Ron

Could a person add small amounts of sand & glue into the hollow shafts to even out the weight? Or use a longer nail insert on the lighter shafts? Weigh each shaft & find the heaviest. Weigh each other shaft & calibrate weight of nail to add up to 1st?

Just a thought. I have yet to make my 1st arrow but I'm a great armchair quarterback.  :)
Remember the heroes of Flight 93.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #202 on: April 02, 2013, 12:21:28 pm »
Actually, sand + glue is pretty light.  The nail idea will add a lot more weight.   :)
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline PAHunter

• "If your not having fun, what's the point?" - Khan
    • Victory Before Combat (My YouTube Page)
« Reply #203 on: April 03, 2013, 03:11:42 am »
Thanks to all that posted!  Your craftsmanship is overwhelming and truly art.  I think I'm drooling now.   :P
Thanks,
Rob - Wexford, PA

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe". - Abe Lincoln

Offline robby

« Reply #204 on: April 04, 2013, 01:52:40 pm »
Sometimes I make these as a set and sometimes they are made from soft wood arrows, like poplar or cedar, that had the tip only broken off.

Robby

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #205 on: April 05, 2013, 12:08:15 pm »
Nice job Robby!  I've yet to try a footed arrow.  I like the nocks too.  Great work, dpg

I give all my broken arrows to my two sons.  Their quivers look more full than mine. ::) dpg
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #206 on: April 11, 2013, 02:25:14 am »
Nice job Robby!  I've yet to try a footed arrow.  I like the nocks too.  Great work, dpg

I give all my broken arrows to my two sons.  Their quivers look more full than mine. ::) dpg
I like having replacable footings/foreshafts, it makes it easy to swap out tips- I carry 12 shafts, and 36 footings when I go shooting- 12 fields, 12 blunts, 12 broad.
-Squirrel
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline Youngboyer2(billyf)

• Live by the man-née and the sa-wa.
« Reply #207 on: April 25, 2013, 08:35:13 pm »
Bamboo garden stakes, they work like a charm. The buildalong was great
"You speak Treason!" "Fluently"-Robin of Locksley
When people ask "why didn't you do that the first time" you can be sure that they  have never made a bow before.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #208 on: April 25, 2013, 09:01:17 pm »
Awesome!
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #209 on: April 27, 2013, 01:44:02 am »
Robby, Nice footed arrows.
Billyf,  Great job on the bamboo.   Ron