Author Topic: WHEN CAN YOU CALL YOURSELF A BOWYER  (Read 19629 times)

Offline Blacktail

WHEN CAN YOU CALL YOURSELF A BOWYER
« on: December 17, 2009, 12:37:20 am »
IS it a certain amount of bows..or a certain amount of broken sticks...this is some thing i have allways wondered...if you make one bow do you get the title...at times i call myself a bowyer..but,i dont really feel like one.. when did you feel that you could call youself a bowyer...so,what do you think..john

Offline makenzie71

• I can robin hood an arrow if I hit it just right.
Re: WHEN CAN YOU CALL YOURSELF A BOWYER
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2009, 12:38:01 am »
You're a bowyer when you build a bow.
Goodbye, friends. I never thought I'd die like this. But I always really hoped. ~ Fry

Offline Jesse

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2009, 12:49:45 am »
You're a bowyer when you build a bow.
I agree. If you make bows then your a bowyer. Maybe just an amateur backyard bowyer but a bowyer none the less.I think someone that sells bows for a living would be considered a professional bowyer  but most of us are just recreational bowyers. As far as I know there is no degree you can get that determines when to be called one.  If you make bows then your a bow maker/ 'bowyer" in my opinion.
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2009, 12:56:16 am »
I think when you can make a bow of a predetermined length/weight/draw length,etc...more times than you can't...Then, I'd say you're a "bowyer".
 IMO, other than that, you're just making a bow.
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline sailordad

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2009, 01:12:22 am »
I think when you can make a bow of a predetermined length/weight/draw length,etc...more times than you can't...Then, I'd say you're a "bowyer".
 IMO, other than that, you're just making a bow.

i agree,but disagree at the same time.
a journeyman bowyer can make a bow of a predetermined length/weight etc.
an apprenctice bowyer can make bows,may not the intended draw weight but a bow none the less
just like in most labor type occupations there are those with the abilities to do the job and get it done,and there are those that can do the job and get it done right.

me i am an apprentice bowyer with a knapping addiction ;D
oh ya i made a slow pretty one last night too(point not bow)
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline rileyconcrete

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2009, 01:28:17 am »
Well do you think the Indians that made bows new about poundage?  I think they just made a bow to fit the person.  I dont consider myself a bowyer. Only because I havent made that many bows.  All the bows I have made I couldnt even tell you the poundage.  I just make them to my likeings.  I dont think that really matters.  I think if someone can take a piece of a tree mark it out, shape it and make a bow to a persons likeing and do it like it is a second nature, then that is a true bowyer.
Tell Riley

Offline The Gopher

• Aim Small, Miss Small
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2009, 01:52:45 am »
a bow does not have to be the correct length weight etc, to be a bow. if I'm stuck in the wilderness and I make an assymetric sapling bow with aweful string follow but it is good enough to kill a rabbit, then it is a bow, and i would be a bowyer. The distinction should be; professional, apprentice, ametuer, etc.

If i use the bow to smack the rabbit over the head, then it is just a rabbit stick, and i am a caveman  ;D
45# at 27"

Offline Michael C.

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2009, 03:14:47 am »
Send me one of your best bows and I will tell you if you are  >:D >:D >:D
"Friendship makes prosperity more shining and lessens adversity by dividing and sharing it."

Cicero

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2009, 03:22:08 am »
                                          I'm just an Old Fashioned............Wood Butcher........... >:D
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline nathan elliot

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2009, 03:25:31 am »
I'm sure plenty of people will have an opinion on this one. I remember Rod once commenting that making a few bows does not constitute one being a bowyer. For me its just a label, and I hate labels. That said, Marc St Louis, Rich Saffold and Chris Boyton are all the kind of craftsmen I would want to emulate. There are loads of other bowyers out there, I know quite a few here in Germany. Perhaps it's when people want to buy your bows.

Nat

Offline canidsong

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2009, 03:29:18 am »
assuming you've made a functional bow, you can start calling yourself a bowyer. just ask yourself how much you want to mean it.

Offline Badger

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2009, 04:37:22 am »
       I look at it the same way I look at a plumber for instance, I fix all my own plumbing but am not a plumber. I would not consider someone a bowyer unless they had acheived journeyman status in at least the style of bow they specialized in. I have made a lot of bows but don't consider myself a bowyer mainly because I haven't taken the time to master the finishing aspects of bowyering. As a journeyman truck mechanic I know we have many different areas that we have to qualify in to be considered journeyman, I think of it the same way with bows and arrows. Steve

Offline Parnell

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2009, 05:54:10 am »
And I quote, "Do or do not...there is no try."

As far as the rest goes - it follows my signature tag. 
1’—>1’

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2009, 06:17:18 am »
Badger if you ant one nobody is, :) :)I don't conceder myself a bowyer,I am just a guy who loves to build bows.  :) I guess if it matters to you and you build bows call yourself a bowyer. ;) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2009, 06:45:29 am »
As someone else said, I don't like labels.
My pet hate label is 'expert', if I had to define 'expert' it would be 'the man who can put right his own mistakes'.
Maybe the same applies to 'bowyer' ?
We all make mistakes, the trick is to keep 'em small and be able to get around 'em.
Buying flowers sometimes helps :o  ;)
Del
(PS, I think you'll know when you are a bowyer, cos that's what people will be calling you)
« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 06:55:30 am by Del the cat »
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.