Author Topic: Life is good  (Read 4668022 times)

Offline Gsulfridge

Re: Life is good
« Reply #13170 on: February 03, 2016, 07:34:21 pm »
If you get to needing fur to practice on, especially beaver, give me a yell. I can hook you up Pappy.
Greg Sulfridge, Lafollette, TN

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #13171 on: February 04, 2016, 06:08:41 am »
Thanks David, nothing I could see as far as damage except the drain pipe going to the lower camp ground stopped up and water ran over the drive, should be pretty easy to clean and the good news is it cleaned the ditch behind the concessions so maybe if we get another big rain at the Classic it won't have enough debris  left to stop it up again and wash Mr Mquire out. ;) ;D ;D Greg Thanks, I will let you know how the tanning goes. I decided to just start with the Coon, I made the brains into a wet paste and rubbed it in really good, the folded it flesh side to flesh side and rolled it up tight, giving it a good squeeze now and then. I plane on another treatment today and maybe Friday, then work it until it is dry and see how it comes out. Jesse told me not to soak in the brains just use a paste and rub it in and keep brains off of the hair side so I am trying to do it the way I seen him do a beaver. If it works and comes out tanned and soft I plan on a beaver next. I have one fleshed and in rawhide form but if that works well I may take you up on a green one. :) Also got the nocks cut in my trade bow yesterday and it on the long string, all in all a great evening. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Otis

« Reply #13172 on: February 04, 2016, 07:19:26 am »
Good to hear Pappy.  It's been a weird winter so far.  We're suppose to be in the 50's this weekend and then by mid week next week single digit temps with 20 below wind chills.  That will get our
attention. I don't mind the cold, but the wind makes it far worse when the temps drop.  Have a good one.

David

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13173 on: February 04, 2016, 09:54:51 am »
I hear ya, it's about back to normal around and is supposed to be for a few days. I hope Saturday is Clear, we are planning the King Ron Memorial Saturday morning so any of you that want to launch an arrow for him , we plan on doing that at 9am sharp. :) and then move his  regular member plaque to the Advanced Scouting party board. :(
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Parnell

« Reply #13174 on: February 04, 2016, 01:59:31 pm »
The new web site is looking good, Pappy.  I'll keep you all in my thoughts this Saturday.

1’—>1’

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #13175 on: February 04, 2016, 03:17:20 pm »
Took a rough phone call this morning.  A friend called to tell me we have lost half of our beehives already this winter.  I was absorbing this when he told me that another friend had passed away two nights ago.  Ken was active in pretty near EVERY hunting, fishing, and outdoor conservation organization in the whole state.  He served numerous terms on boards of directors for those organizations. He was always generous with his time and his money and his not inconsiderable influence when he felt the organization was headed in the right direction. 

Five and a half years ago when Maggie and I announced we were starting the Black Hills Raptor Center with no budget, no resources, just hope, Ken walked up to me to shake my hand.  In his hand was a healthy wad of large denomination bills.  He looked me in the eye and said "Feed the birds, teach the kids. Do that and I will back you."  We ran off that cash until we had a revenue stream started up.  I always felt he was the third founder of this non-profit. 

You would all have loved him, and he would have loved this crowd, as well.  He instinctually got it, this whole "passing it along" idea.  I have never liked bourbon particularly, especially the cheap stuff, but tonight I am raising a glass of Cabin Still to Ken. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #13176 on: February 04, 2016, 05:53:15 pm »
Took a rough phone call this morning.  A friend called to tell me we have lost half of our beehives already this winter.  I was absorbing this when he told me that another friend had passed away two nights ago.  Ken was active in pretty near EVERY hunting, fishing, and outdoor conservation organization in the whole state.  He served numerous terms on boards of directors for those organizations. He was always generous with his time and his money and his not inconsiderable influence when he felt the organization was headed in the right direction. 

Five and a half years ago when Maggie and I announced we were starting the Black Hills Raptor Center with no budget, no resources, just hope, Ken walked up to me to shake my hand.  In his hand was a healthy wad of large denomination bills.  He looked me in the eye and said "Feed the birds, teach the kids. Do that and I will back you."  We ran off that cash until we had a revenue stream started up.  I always felt he was the third founder of this non-profit. 

You would all have loved him, and he would have loved this crowd, as well.  He instinctually got it, this whole "passing it along" idea.  I have never liked bourbon particularly, especially the cheap stuff, but tonight I am raising a glass of Cabin Still to Ken.

I have ALWAYS loved bourbon, and have never been too particular about the price point, ...but tonight, I shall raise a glass with you (remotely) and toast your friend whose memory you have honored here.  I should like to have known him, but I celebrate that you did and that he shared your path so admirably!   sláinte mhaith

OneBow

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13177 on: February 05, 2016, 04:41:12 am »
That's always tough JW to loose a good friend and especially one that has done so much good with his life. The truth of the matter is , none of us are going to be here forever so the good you do and leave behind is all that really matters in the end, sounds like he did well at that. :)
We are honoring one of ours that left way to soon also in the Morning, it will be sad but hope we can all smile a bit by knowing he is in a much better place and no more suffering. We plan on Launching an arrow at 9am sharp and then just spend a little time reminiscing. Should be a good day. :) On a lighter note it's FRIDAY and I am headed to the cabin as soon as I get away.
Got bows to work on/wood to split/drains to clean after the big storm and also stretch and dry my coon hide so I have plenty to keep me busy. ;) :) We have a meeting in the morning before King Ron's service and have lots to cover to get this new year rolling. Classic plans already underway, Looking forward to seeing some of the guys I haven't seen much since fall.
Hope yall have a good one. See ya Monday. Life is Good. ;) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #13178 on: February 05, 2016, 01:32:27 pm »
To King Ron! 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Otis

« Reply #13179 on: February 06, 2016, 07:22:57 am »
  King Ron will be missed for  sure.  Hope ya'll have a good trip down memory lane this morning.  I'll be with you guys in spirit. 

David

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #13180 on: February 06, 2016, 08:39:39 am »
Many of us will be with Twin Oaks in spirit this morning.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13181 on: February 08, 2016, 04:47:11 am »
Thanks Guys, I know he was thought a lot of and it showed Saturday. Had a beautiful weekend.
 Got some stuff done around the shop and Farm and also Saturday morning tribute to King Ron went off just like we wanted. Here are some pictures of the weekend. Got my Coon skin tanned, didn't turn out as soft as I like but not to bad for a first try and brain tanning with the hair on. I have some ides for the next on that I think will make it better. ;) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13182 on: February 08, 2016, 04:49:23 am »
Mixing and soaking in a brain paste. Also got just a little work done on my trade bow. :) Kept getting side tracked so didn't get it braced but close. ;) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13183 on: February 08, 2016, 04:51:08 am »
Michael showed up for a little bow work and stretching and drying my coon skin. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13184 on: February 08, 2016, 05:13:44 am »
Decided to make up some pine pitch glue, don't know why , :-\ just saw it and decided to make some. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good