Author Topic: Sinew/Sturgeon Juniper  (Read 17585 times)

Offline Keenan

Sinew/Sturgeon Juniper
« on: December 14, 2010, 01:11:44 am »
 This one is a 52" NTN sinew /sturgeon backed juniper. She is a short horse bow that is 59 lbs at 25" draw. and she has elk antler tips. She was made from the top side of a 6" branch. This bow has been a little over a two year long process. The stave was roughed out and dried for about 1 1/2 years. Sinewed last spring right before my last surgery. Skinned and tillered over the last couple months. This bow is for our horse farrier who brings me the sturgeon skins and some hides now and then. The skins are off of a fish he caught himself. He has been patiently waiting for a couple years now. ::) He has had a heart dream of taking an elk from his horse. He is comming to trim our horses tommarrow. ;D  Now it's up to him to do the rest.

Offline Keenan

Re: Sinew/Sturgeon Juniper
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2010, 01:17:30 am »
 A few more:

Offline stickbender

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2010, 01:34:57 am »

Man, Keenan, that is down right beautiful!  :o :o Be sure to take pictures of your "Shoe man", when you give it to him! 8)

Wayne

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2010, 01:37:51 am »
Sweet Bow Keenan...Glad to see that I am not the Only One that Likes the Guard Spikes of the Sturgeon Hide...I prefer this over the Belly and Side Skin...got more Character....Nice Job.
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline bcbull

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2010, 01:39:39 am »
man keenan  that butiful i relley like it  iv only made 1 juniper  have some drying and many more to come as i bought a ranch in utah  place is loaded with juniper  ur puttin ideas in my head haha  great job bro  brock

Offline adb

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2010, 01:56:45 am »
Sweet Jesus... that is just drop dead gorgeous. I look in awe. That is truly beautiful!  :o

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2010, 05:06:26 am »
We haven't seen a juniper backed in quite a while!
Absolutely beautiful bow!!!

PS: that's a DREAM of a tiller profile!
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 06:32:10 am by medicinewheel »
Frank from Germany...

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2010, 06:02:10 am »
Now that's a beauty Keenan,love every thing about it.The skins really stand out,if he don't like that ,I know someone that would. ;) ;D ;D Great work. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2010, 06:41:20 am »
That bow should be on the cover of the next volume of the Bowyer's Bible.  Everything about it is amazing, to say the least.  It's bows like that that inspire all the rest of us to become better at what we do.

Offline broketooth

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2010, 07:37:04 am »
this bow is beautiful! ive seen another juniper bow you made, for your wife i think, and the ambush bow out of yew, all of which amaze me . especially how all the bows grain looks at the fades. smooth and flawless. no noticable changes at the transition from fade to working portion of the limbs. absolutely stunning .ive been aspiring to this look on a bow im working on. any advice you can give on how you did this would be appreciated. ruddy

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2010, 07:47:41 am »
Wow Keenan :o That is one awsome work of art!!!!!!!!!! From tip to tip, it shows pure craftmanship
I will say of the Lord,"He is my refuge and my fortress;
  My God, in Him I will trust."  Psalm 91:2

Offline Steve Milbocker

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2010, 08:05:11 am »
 What a beautiful bow, a work of art for sure.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 08:10:53 am by Steve Milbocker »
I'm no where near as smart as my phone!

Offline Dean Marlow

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2010, 08:47:29 am »
That is a beauty. Thanks for sharing. Dean

Offline Little John

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2010, 09:14:28 am »
Man oh Man Keenan, you  always do such amasing work. That iss pure art and perfect attention to every detail. Beautiful bow. I hope you get many many horse shoeings for this piece and also hope the shoer realizes what he is getting. You are a generous man as I would not be letting this bow go if it were mine.  You have my bow of the month vote hands down.      Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2010, 09:16:01 am »
Awesome job!  Are the sturgeon skins like rawhide or snake skins?  
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA