Author Topic: Sinew/Sturgeon Juniper  (Read 17695 times)

Offline PeteC

Re: Sinew/Sturgeon Juniper
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2010, 09:34:41 am »
WOW!! That is an incredible bow Keenan.You bumped up the bar again.Great work. God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2010, 09:50:54 am »
That bow, Keenan, is one of the most beautiful bows I have ever seen. Well done! Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2010, 09:53:59 am »
Increbable, Keenan. As always, everything about this bow is beautiful!  I think your tweeking came out better than mine will!  ::)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Keenan

« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2010, 10:32:02 am »
Thank you everyone,  To be truthfull, I have fallen in love with this bow, and she's a hard one to part with. Seems to shoot right where I look and I definitely have one in the plans for myself. I do know Mike will love it and I'm sure he will be bringing me much more skins as well as a sturgeon fishing trip or two.  I;m just hoping and praying it's not to stout for him. When I finished tillering it was holding around 52 lbs. but after a few more weeks of the skins curing out it has creeped up to 59 lbs. ::)

Pat this isn't the one I was tweeking  ;D

Brookentooth, getting the transition to blend in is a little easier with a slightly less bulbous handle.  On these short bows if you can get then to where you feel just a very slight flex in the handle, you are about where you want.

Jeff, the sturgeon is very tough, much like rawhide but thinner and lighter. Most bottom fish are great for backings. I have one that I'm about to put some ling cod skins on.

Thanks again everyone, It's very moving to know it's inspiring.

Offline Barrage

« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2010, 10:46:47 am »
Now that is a bow!!  I love the short sinewed bows and that looks like a beauty.  Thanks for posting - it's an inspiration for sure.
Travis

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2010, 10:54:49 am »
That's one beautiful bow!! Fantastic work! I love the tips, I've been wanting to try something like that on one of mine. Again great bow, I think i know where my vote is going.

Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2010, 11:05:58 am »
excellent craftmanship and patients !

Offline oneeye

« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2010, 11:14:54 am »
Outstanding! gotta get some of those sturgeon skins. Great job on that.    Scott

Offline oneeye

« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2010, 11:18:33 am »
Keenan, do you use the sturgeon skins wet or can you dry them out with borax first?   Scott

Offline Keenan

« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2010, 11:26:21 am »
 Scott,
  For any fish skins it best to just stretch them and staple down to a board, flesh side out. No salt or borax. Then when dry just use a razor and cut out of the board and roll up and store.  Ps Mice love them so be carefull where you store.  When ready to apply soak in the glue untill pliable.

Offline oneeye

« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2010, 11:34:23 am »
Well it looks like I'm going to have to hook up Rip'n Lips and head down to the columbia for a little sturgeon fishing. You fish above or below bonneville for keepers?   Scott

Offline Keenan

« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2010, 12:07:43 pm »
Usually right below the Dam Scott. Hey if you make a trip over and want some company give me a shout. I noticed your in Boise. We go through there every now and then.  Years ago when I was doing boiler work I worked for Yankee Energy that is based there in Boise. It would be nice to hook up with you soometime.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 01:00:05 pm by Keenan »

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2010, 12:25:24 pm »
You are a true craftsman. Beautiful work. Thanks for sharing.  '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline bcbull

« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2010, 01:08:14 pm »
hey keenan  scott   want to make sure  you guys know i wanna hook up with ya  the ranch  is actually  just a couple hr s south of  ya    give me a shout somtime  ill be movin up there mid jan  brock

Offline Keenan

« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2010, 01:31:36 pm »
 Thank you Frank, You are in a Prime spot to obtain some skins ;D

Oneeye, The scales I was originally reluctant to do because of the barbs, but he really wanted them so I went for it and in the process learned how it can be done and work. As we all know that when trying to string a bow or put it in a sock that barbs can snag or even give a nasty cut. So I took some diagonal snips and trimmed the barbs then used a dremel to fine buff them and highlight the bone flake.  Several good coats of finish and it's nice and smooth. ;)

Brock, That would be great. ;)

Here are before and after pics.

« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 07:52:48 pm by Keenan »