Author Topic: Sinew/Sturgeon Juniper  (Read 17803 times)

Offline rileyconcrete

Re: Sinew/Sturgeon Juniper
« Reply #45 on: December 14, 2010, 09:37:06 pm »
Great bow Keenan.  Love the skins.  I have some juniper roughed out that I hope to get done here shortly.  Great job. Oh and any horse shoer I know is way stout enough to pull 59 LBS.  Should be easy for him.

Tell
Tell Riley

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
« Reply #46 on: December 14, 2010, 10:30:25 pm »
Juniper is such a warm wood.  I think the finish work really stands out. Excellent stuff.  You always have those nice tips. are they from the base of the antler?
Gabe
Humboldt County CA.

Offline Keenan

« Reply #47 on: December 14, 2010, 11:17:27 pm »
Thanks again for the nice compliments,

John, ERC is a cedar and juniper is in the cedar family . They are similar but some distinct differences. Even "Juniper" has many types from mountain juniper (great bow wood) to some other junipers that are like balsa wood.  From what I've heard ERC is about the same caracteristics as Juniper.  But you can get away with unbacked juniper if good and I've heard the opposite about ERC.

Gaur: The skins are off keepers. 36 to 42"

Riley, looking forward to seeing that. And you are right He is fairly stout. Today when he was shooting it I got nervous because he is stout and long arms, but wanted a short draw horse bow. ::)  thus the main reason for sinew as well as sturgeon.  He fired some nice shots and was grinning from ear to ear.  We have some fishing trips planned soon. ;D

Gabe, yes they are side wedge cuts near the base. tends to be a little more character texture near the bases.

Thanks agian everyone.

Offline Traxx

« Reply #48 on: December 14, 2010, 11:41:41 pm »
Sharp lookin bow ya made there Keenan.
Horseshoers are a buncha Weenies!!!!!
HEHEHE.

Offline straightarrow

• "Success or failure, neither are final"
« Reply #49 on: December 15, 2010, 12:34:17 am »
All I can say is ...."you da man!!!!" That bow is a absolute work of art. Incredible craftsmanship from tip to tip.

Jon (straightarrow)

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
« Reply #50 on: December 15, 2010, 03:03:20 am »
Good lord that's beautiful! Thanks for posting that. Working on a fishing boat in the pacific part time I have collected pounds of fish skins. I am going to study your skin to wood fades to see if I can try to come close to that. One of the best bows I have seen in a while

Offline Little John

« Reply #51 on: December 15, 2010, 05:24:28 am »
Keenan, I wonder if your juniper is the same stuff that grows all over the desert south west? I really like the leather work on the handle.       Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #52 on: December 15, 2010, 10:30:06 am »
Very Cool bow Keenan. I'm sure he was pleased.  :)
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline Stoker

« Reply #53 on: December 15, 2010, 10:51:32 am »
Truly one of the nicest bows. The sturgeon skin is awesome with the barbs.We can't keep our sturgeon catch and release only.
A work of art.
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline Keenan

« Reply #54 on: December 15, 2010, 06:22:04 pm »
Thanks again for the compliments.

Loeffler, What kind of skins do you have?

Kenneth, Thank you,  You should have several types of Juniper, The one to stay away from has slash marks in the bark that will go horizontal to the tree truck and through the bark. Those kind are junk , most the others will work but I've found the darker colored the heart wood the better it seems to be. The juniper with very pale color has been ok but not as good.

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #55 on: December 15, 2010, 08:41:18 pm »
Keenan, that is probably the most beautiful bow I've ever seen.  Just WOW!  I think you may have to keep reminding your friend that it's a tool for him to hunt with. Make sure you give him a condition with this bow that we all want to see picture of the elk he takes with it.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline Gordon

« Reply #56 on: December 16, 2010, 02:58:09 am »
Well Keenan you managed to raise the bar another notch and I gave up trying to keep up about 3 bows ago. You're in a class all by yourself my friend.
Gordon

Offline swamp monkey

« Reply #57 on: December 16, 2010, 05:03:42 pm »
inspiring!

Offline snag

« Reply #58 on: December 16, 2010, 05:39:38 pm »
Keenan, are you using juniper limb wood or is this from the trunk?  That fish skin is incredible!
Is. 49:2 ....He made me a polished arrow and concealed me in His quiver.

Offline Keenan

« Reply #59 on: December 16, 2010, 11:33:03 pm »
Hedge thank you, I'm sure he get some pics ;)

Gordon, Thank you my friend,  But you know you always been one of my favorite inspirations and I've still got allot to learn. That's what is so good about this site is everyone learning from each other. And you have certainly taught me a thing or two. ;) PS. Lulyn read your post and laughed, stating "Your in a class alright, but not the one he thinks",,,,, ::)

Swamp, thank you

Snag. Yes this was from a branch,  Top side, bottom limb of the bow was the part towards the trunk. About a 6 inch branch.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 11:37:19 pm by Keenan »