Author Topic: Explain your screen name?  (Read 27893 times)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Explain your screen name?
« Reply #45 on: February 21, 2011, 08:51:48 am »
Kind of speaks for itself. ;) :) To tell the truth ,Have a good friend in the club and several years ago,about 18 or so I needed reading glassies,I couldn't stand the big ones cause I could see far away[that was then not now]  ;) ;D Any way I started wearing little reading glassies down on my nose and between that,getting gray and being one of the oldest in the club he started calling me Pappy and it just stuck. :) :) Now most don't even know my real name. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline cracker

« Reply #46 on: February 21, 2011, 08:56:39 am »
Pappy
  Maybe it's got something to do with having the wisdom and personality to back it up. Around here if you get called Pappy on the job it's cause you're the wisest and best teacher on the job. Somebody's gotta train the young folks.Cracker
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Grunt

« Reply #47 on: February 21, 2011, 10:03:56 am »
We were called grunts because that's how we lived and communicated, grunts and gestures.

I heard many years ago that they were called "grunts" because whenever anyone asked what their IQ level was, they'd reply "huh?"  ???

Glad to have it corrected by someone that was/is one :)

Huh!!!!!!

Offline Bone pile

« Reply #48 on: February 21, 2011, 10:20:09 am »
You might not be able to see it these days but when I was a young man I was thin,very thin.At 6'4 and 150lbs I looked like a bone pile.They didn't sell 28 X 34 pants back in the day so mom would take the back pockets off my britches and sew them up slimmer,I did't have front pockets I had SIDE pockets  ;D
Venice Florida

Offline predatorcaller

• life is short-enjoy it
« Reply #49 on: February 21, 2011, 11:19:08 am »
predator caller kind of sums it up.I enjoy hunting everything but there is nothing like hunting the hunters.I,ve called in coons-foxes-coyotes(my favorite here in the east-quite the challenge)bobcats and an occasional black bear.have a great day-Lloyd

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #50 on: February 21, 2011, 11:39:32 am »
This is actually my third name here.  When I first came to the PA board I just logged in with my first name.  Then I switched it to my full name with underscores and used that for a few years and finally went with what I have now.  Never had the interest in using anything but my real name
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline jonathan creason

« Reply #51 on: February 21, 2011, 11:53:34 am »
Not much to explain, just the same one found on my birth certificate.  Jonathan did come from the book Jonathan Livingston Seagull, but that's about the only thing that needs explination.
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #52 on: February 21, 2011, 11:54:21 am »
DNA.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #53 on: February 21, 2011, 12:11:35 pm »
^^^LOL.  I went through and read everyone's explanation of their screen names and some of them are pretty cool and creative.  Mine is just my first name.  When I first came here my screen name was "deftones3333" which is just my email address.  (@yahoo.com) I went to the Classic for the first time 2 years ago and whenever I introduced myself, I was like "my name is Josh... oh my screenname on PA is deftones3333".  As soon as I got home I changed it to my first name to simplify the conversation at future events.  It is so much easier to say "my name is Josh and my screen name on PA is also Josh. Nice to meet ya."  ;D  ;D ;D
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 12:18:03 pm by Josh »
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #54 on: February 21, 2011, 12:18:22 pm »
I like that explanation Hillbilly.  ;) ;D ;D ;D Cracker,Thanks I wished that was so, buttttt I don't think that is what they were thinking when it was gave to me,something was said about being an ornery OLD coot.  ;) ;D ;D
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

JustinNC

« Reply #55 on: February 21, 2011, 12:36:41 pm »
Eddie I woulda bet my last penny that your's was from a hair-do from a couple decades ago.

Justin was taken, so I added NC for where Im from.....I know I know, originality like this doesnt happen often, but I assure you, I'm just as humble and regular as the rest of you ;D

Offline Stonedog

« Reply #56 on: February 21, 2011, 12:48:26 pm »
My first name translated into Gaelic.
Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day.

-Aiel Saying

Offline Badger

« Reply #57 on: February 21, 2011, 01:01:53 pm »
      We had a club when we were little kids and all had animal names. Several years later I bought a cb radio and used it as a handle. When I bought a computer 25 years later it was the first thing that came to mind.

Offline Dane

« Reply #58 on: February 21, 2011, 03:13:29 pm »
My screen name is my actual first name. The story behind that is lame, but true. My parents hated nicknames such as James = Jim, David = Dave, Lawrence = Larry, etc. And, they wanted a one syllable name. Thus, my first name is Dane, which means basically “man from Denmark.” I think they found it in a baby naming book, as it wasn’t some dusty old tradition in the family.

I can relate totally to Jamie and his name. I got ragged a lot years back for having a “girl’s” name. And, no one seems to get it right. 9 times out of 10, it is misspelled or completely changed to something else.

Regarding Grunt’s explanation on the origin of the term Grunt, I served as a grunt, which in Army parlance is an 11 Bravo. The USMC has another designator for that MOS. Everyone not an infantryman is (or was in my day) known as a REMF, but I think the term pougue is now what the guys on AD use. In line units, REMFs are really not well thought of.

No one is sure what the origin of the term is, it probably originated during Vietnam, but we understood it to mean we humped a LOT. Humping is carrying a very heavy load, usually on your back in your handy ruck. Since I was RTO, I also had the PRC77, which alone will make you grunt after a few days in the field. Add the rest, the rats and the M16 or M203 or mortar tube, ammo, two to four canteens, extra socks, all the rest, and you really start to grunt, and eventually, any other form of verbal communication is pretty much impossible, nor desired.

One story says that grunt is an acronym for “government reject, unfit for normal training.” :) And considering that there were tons of stupid jokes about things being “infantry proof,” a lot of our non-infantry fellow soldiers maybe did really think infantrymen were stupid or low-speed. More colorful terms really do apply more appropriately to grunts, though. :) Some not so flattering, of course.

Which leads me to my little anecdote when I had to go into the local police station to be interviewed as part of the process to get a license to carry in my state. I asked if I was still required to do the firearms class they make you take in MA, and if my time in service could be used to waive that requirement. The LT laughed and said yeah, you do, even though you probably shoot better than all of my guys. I laughed and said probably, but I was trained to waste everything and then hold the position, so the class is probably a good idea.

Dane
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 03:17:34 pm by Dane »
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #59 on: February 21, 2011, 04:48:30 pm »
justin im guessin you never saw the 70's pic of eddie with the man-fro!!  ;D
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct