Author Topic: Snake Skinning day  (Read 38962 times)

Offline Lee Slikkers

Re: Snake Skinning day
« Reply #60 on: March 11, 2011, 04:37:23 pm »
Holy Moly that is one heck of a snake skin stash you have there!  Green with envy up here in the cold, snowy North country.
~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #61 on: March 11, 2011, 04:39:29 pm »
Nice!!
St Paul, TX

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #62 on: March 11, 2011, 11:36:31 pm »
I kinda like those dark rat snake skins, cool!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #63 on: March 11, 2011, 11:44:54 pm »
Texas is large enough to be a couple three normal sized states

Got a friend in Alaska that would tell you to pipe down or they will split their state in HALF and make Texas the third largest.

Or else claim that Texas is too small to be a state and too big to be an insane asylum.

On the other hand I always remind him Alaska don't know barbecue.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #64 on: March 21, 2011, 02:15:39 pm »
Green with envy up here in the cold, snowy North country.

Lee I just love that phrase ;D Green with envy.. never heard it before
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline criveraville

« Reply #65 on: March 21, 2011, 02:25:04 pm »
Gracias gstoneberg..  JW the dark skins look great over yellow.. Your friend from Alaska is funny and I can not imagine no barbecue!!!
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline criveraville

« Reply #66 on: March 21, 2011, 03:05:50 pm »
Gstoneberg

The possum coat is really neat!! Yes they are muy feos…
Your SIL must be an interesting chap.. I took a year of French in college.. don’t use it much here in Texas.  Elk hunting would be superb.. It is really neat that your daughter had those experiences..  That is too funny about his Spanish, but when I would go to Mexico the “natives” would treat me like a total foreigner.. must have been the accent..

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #67 on: March 21, 2011, 05:52:44 pm »
Texas is large enough to be a couple three normal sized states

Got a friend in Alaska that would tell you to pipe down or they will split their state in HALF and make Texas the third largest.

Or else claim that Texas is too small to be a state and too big to be an insane asylum.

On the other hand I always remind him Alaska don't know barbecue.

You crack me up John.  Are you coming down to hog hunt?  Got another group coming down this weekend from Nebraska this weekend.  They're gonna have the hogs all turned into sausage before you get down here?

criveraville, I took 2 years of Spanish in HS, sure wish I'd studied harder, would be real helpful here.  If you ever get up towards Abilene, let me know, would love to meet you at the lease, chase some pigs and swap stories.  Do you hog hunt where you live?

George

St Paul, TX

Offline criveraville

« Reply #68 on: March 23, 2011, 04:14:46 pm »
Stoneberg, I am up there every now and then.  Would love to meet up with you and chat a bit and chase pigs.  I know my son would love to come along too.  He is 7.  I have hog hunted a bit here in Stephenville, but not as much as I would like. 

Offline criveraville

« Reply #69 on: March 23, 2011, 07:15:57 pm »
Here is what "Me and Minni Me" look like

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #70 on: March 23, 2011, 08:01:12 pm »
Nice, looks like there should be a 6-shooter on that young mans side. ;)  You guys are almost on the way to the lease, which is near Cross Plains.  Take a look at your calendar for weekends in April and PM or email me.  Warning....my wife's birthday is the first weekend so that one is out. :)  Maybe I can talk Gary into coming out that weekend too and we can all work on bows, or arrows, or whatever.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline stickbender

« Reply #71 on: March 23, 2011, 10:56:06 pm »

Criveraville,  Well for one thing I don't think that they say "Buenos Dios,Y'all" in Mexico......just a thought as to the tourista treatment.  ;D  As for Mini Me, good looking kid.  But where "IS" his six gun, and belt, and where are his silver tips for his boots, and where is his 12 inch belt buckle, and his lariat ?  He can ride and rope can't he?  I mean he is a Texican. 8)  He should be able by now to rope a calf by his back legs. ;)  And WHERE is his Sombrero? :o  Poor kid is going to go around squinting all the time. ::)  Does he help you collect the snakes for skins?     Have ou got him scraping staves yet?
                                                                                Wayne

Offline criveraville

« Reply #72 on: March 25, 2011, 01:36:43 am »
gstoneberg, you are right, but it was a school music program and they don’t take to kindly to guns at school  Sounds great!! Thank you.  I will PM you.  Gotta check with the wife and see which one works.  It would be great to meet you and Gary up there or down there..
Stickbender,  haaaa haaaa no they don’t.. Thank you!!  He is a handsome little man…  He really wants a six shooter. Trust me, but I told him he will have to wait until he gets older..  Oh he is a Texican all right and he has a funny Texican accent too.  He has a rope, no sombrero, but a hat, George Straight hat he calls it, and he is the first one out of the car when we stop to pick up a snake.. yes, but not made a workable bow yet…
Here is a pick of him on a caballo, with his first deer every ever this last January.  Took it with a .223, and at his little buddies birthday party shooting a German WWI 8mm water cooled machine gun!!!!!  Down here in Texas we roll our own way… :o ::) Even teachers kids..  ;D

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #73 on: March 25, 2011, 02:11:34 am »
Nice pictures.   I'm envious, I've never fired a machine gun.  Hope we can get him on a hog.

George 
St Paul, TX

Offline stickbender

« Reply #74 on: March 25, 2011, 04:46:02 am »

Good for him getting a Deer ! 8)  As for scraping, tell him it is all part of the Apprenticeship. ;) Sounds like you have a partner to pick up snakes, and hunt and fish with.  Good for you !  You need to put a brim on that helmet, so when he rides his Cayuse, or Caballo, he will still be safe, but look more like a Texican! ;)  Whoo hoo, I would dearly love to have that Machine gun!  It looks like a Maxim.  If so it was invented by Hiram Maxim, an American, who sold it to all sides before WWI broke out.  The U.S. bought some, but not enough, and when the War broke out, they were scrambling to acquire more.  Just like in WWII, there was a woeful lack of Machine guns.  So much so, that during training, the soldiers used wooden ones like toys!  Hiram Maxim was also the inventor of the "Silencer"  Or more properly known as a Suppressor.  He invented it, so he could target practice in his back yard without his neighbors complaining about the noise.  He advertised it with his picture, and called himself "Doctor Shush".   He tried to sell it to the U.S. Military.  They were not interested.  Some South American countries, and Germany were though.  That and Machine guns were purchasable by anyone with the money, up till 1935, and since then you have to buy a stamp from the Government to possess one of either.  The US Military big wigs, were always a day late in purchasing better equipment, and implementing better ideas.  There was a man, by the name of Christensen, who was a machinist, and as a hobby, designed and built tanks!  Some hobby huh?  Well he made one that had solid rubber tires, and without the tank treads on it, it would go 110 mph !!  With the treads on it would still do 80 mph!!  The Military, said we have our own tank that we designed, and we don't need yours.  He challenged them to a test at their obstacle course.  They finally agreed, and all the big brass Muckity Mucks were there with their smug faces waiting for their tank to out do this amateur's tank.  Well Christie let them go first.  The course consisted of a row of logs, concrete stumps, rows of barbed wire, and a big sump pit.  Well the Military's tank got hung up on the concrete stumps, and couldn't get off.  So Christie gets in his tank, and pushes their tank off of the stumps, and goes on through the course, and then back through it, and finally gets out of his tank, and the Big boys, were leaving, and refused to talk to him.  A few years later, some time in mid 30's , he contacted the Military, and told them he had a completely new design, and it was his best tank yet.  The military looked at it, and said, it wasn't suited for military purposes.  He showed it to Germany, and they said how much?  So he sold it to Germany.  He also invented an amphibious vehicle, that crossed the Hudson River at the worst time of the year, and it went straight across, and then back.  The Military, said nah.  They didn't have an amphibious vehicle at the time, that could even get down the banks to try to cross.  Well in WWII we had the Patten tank.  Which our tank crews affectionately nicknamed the "Steel Coffin", because one round from the German tanks, and it was toast.  They had so many crews killed, that they were taking infantry soldiers, and giving them a days training, and sending them out the recently repaired tank, some still had the remains  that were spattered inside from the last crew.  The only saving grace was we had a whole bunch of them, and they were easily repaired.  It was under armored, and under armed, with a sorry excuse of a 75 MM cannon on it.  It took multiple hits, from two or more Pattens to disable a German tank.  Oh, the German tanks, that were running rings around our tanks, with their 88MM guns, that would go through both sides of the Patten tank, and destroying our tanks, like clay pigeons !  Well, according to our Military geniuses, it was not suited for military purposes!  It was the very tank that Christie tried to sell to our Military.  The Germans called it the Tiger. 
  I would love to have that water cooled Machine Gun, but I would really rather have the German MG 34!  It was the precursor to the MG 42.  The 34 was very accurate, had a slower rate of fire, and was light.  The 42 on the other hand, was not as accurate, and fired well over a thousand rounds a minute, and not as light.  They had to fire it in short bursts, to keep the barrel from over heating, and to conserve ammo.  The German troops didn't like it for that reason.  Both the 34, and 42 were very reliable, and had the nifty feature, of being able to change a barrel in under 10 - 15 seconds.  You flipped a lever, on the side, and flipped up the cover, and used the heavy gloves, to remove the shot out, or overheated barrel, and replaced it with the spare, closed the cover, flipped the lever back in place, and charged a round, and you were back in business.  Thankfully we incorporated some of the features of those guns in our M60.  I would still rather have the MG 34 though. ;) Or a Browing .50 caliber!   Boy, I bet your Son enjoyed that Birthday party!  A pony just don't cut it compared to a Real Machine Gun!  Why even a Payasso wouldn't be able to compete with that! :o ;D  Boy if you played army with that kid, you had better be sure you were on his side! :o :o  Man, I never had a Birthday party like that!  Hey, Mom, I'm going over to a friends house and play army. Ok sweet heart, be careful and watch out for snakes, Oh yeah, we WILL be looking for them!!! >:D >:D........... ;D ;D  Diego is a lucky Kid to have friends like that!  Diego,....hmmmm wasn't that the real name of .....Zorro?.... :o  I always felt bad for poor ol Sargent Garcia.  He wasn't a baddie, and just wanted ample food, and drink, and to retire on a pension, and maybe mooch a meal, and drink or two, now and then.  I felt bad for him, because of all the sashes he had to replace, because of all the big Z slashes in them.  Sargent Garcia!!  Si El Capitan?
What is the meaning of this?!  You have a big Z slashed in your sash!  Oh, well you see El Capitan, last night, "when the full moon was bright, came the horseman known as Zorro"....... :o ;D ;D All rights reserved by Walt Disney Movie Productions, Inc.  Sorry, my childhood intruded there for a moment.  The Name Diego just triggered it.  I am trying to remember Zorro's last name....Diego.......or Don Diego somthing or another.....Anyway, I could not get over the fact that they couldn't tell it was him.  It was just little eye mask, and he never disguised his voice.  Or why they couldn't trail his horses tracks in the day time to find the secret cave that he hid the horse in.  Dang, I will be up all night trying to think of his last name.  Why couldn't you have named your Son Victor, Nelson, or Bob ? ::) ::)

Wayne