Author Topic: bow woods  (Read 7349 times)

Offline archerforlife2

bow woods
« on: June 26, 2011, 07:28:19 pm »
what kinds of bow woods are their in western Washington only one i know of is vine maples is there any others? if so what are they thanks for any replies
Everbody dies but not everybody lives

Offline Weylin

Re: bow woods
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2011, 10:36:44 pm »
I'm in Western Oregon so I assume it's pretty much the same. The ones that I know of are vine maple, hazlenut, service berry, ocean spray, and pacific yew. If I missed any I'm sure some knowledgeable NW'er will chime in shortly.

Offline archerforlife2

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2011, 10:58:21 pm »
thanks weylin have yet to see a yew in my 14 odd years of meandering around the woods  >:D

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2011, 10:59:22 pm »
 weylin named some good ones I would also add Cascara, most fruit trees, Ash, cherry, Elm, oak, scotch broom, and walnut. I reallylike Vine Maple as its easy to come by and makes great bows! All of these woods listed will make a good bow if design is right for the specific wood.

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2011, 11:00:39 pm »
thanks weylin have yet to see a yew in my 14 odd years of meandering around the woods  >:D

Im sure you have seen it I harvest most of my Yew in Western Washington. and I live just out of Tillamook Oregon, it grows everywhere in your area.

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Offline archerforlife2

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2011, 12:29:47 am »
cascara dosent it give you the squirts? i no the park does but the wood itself dosent? and i will have to go to Google and look up yew trees maybe i have seen one and just don't know it

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2011, 12:38:05 am »
Ya dont bite your nails while debarking cascara ;D Im sure you have but until you look for it you really dont notice it ;)

Offline archerforlife2

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2011, 02:16:52 am »
okay i think im gonna try cascara i have some that i already peeled for bark now just to go back and find one suitable for a bow

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2011, 02:22:32 am »
Ya I would get a couple straight staves of as many dif woods as you can and let them start drying and see what you like.

Josh

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2011, 04:09:01 am »
Don't you folks have some nice crap apple too?   Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2011, 04:12:28 am »
Dang,  I need to quit relying on spell check.   Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline archerforlife2

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2011, 04:14:18 am »
haha yeah i dont like spell check and all the crab apple i have found is anything BUT straight i am going to go out collecting staves tommorow what would you recomend for arrows? around western washington of course?

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2011, 01:41:42 pm »
Archer, look for red osier dogwood in ditch lines, it is everywhere also hazel shoots are really straight. as far as bow wood look for all mentioned above are good but also look for black locust and purple plum. The plum can grow pipe straight off of branch that have been trimmed back...good luck..   as far as yew goes-see it once in the forest and there is a silhouette to yew that becomes easy to pick out from the fir it usually grows under.
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline archerforlife2

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2011, 08:37:59 pm »
okay defiantly going to be keeping my eyes open for a crab apple from now  >:D  on and went out and got a piece of vine maple today its 5'2 and 2" around at the skinny end is this to small around? i think i can get a bow out of it. i want to get my second shooter now my first one turned out to light 38# and i was going for about fifty o well first one any advice appreciated

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2011, 09:03:28 pm »
2" is plenty big around One thing to keep in mind with vine maple is take note of wich side is the tension wood, this will be the back of the bow and will yeald a better bow than the compresions wood. The tension wood you want will be the side that was faceing to the sky when you cut it or if it is growing more straight up and down the side that its leaning away from if thatr makes sense.

Josh