Author Topic: bow woods  (Read 7317 times)

Offline archerforlife2

Re: bow woods
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2011, 09:51:45 pm »
i plan on leaving the front alone so which side do i carve wood off of the side facing the sky or facing down?
Everbody dies but not everybody lives

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2011, 09:59:12 pm »
You take wood off the belly so that will be the side facing the ground before you cut it, the back is the side you just peel the bark and it faces away from you when you shoot the bow the belly of the bow faces you when you shoot it. Hope this helps if you have any more questions on anything just ask I will try to help you allong. This thread is awsome and it is spot on IMO its a build allong by Gordon http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,4815.0.html you should be able to reduce the stave down like he does in this build allong but because its 2 inches through just take wood off the belly you wont need to cut the sides out like he does, and let it dry a month or so and get going on it.

Josh

Josh
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 10:03:05 pm by Elktracker »
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline archerforlife2

« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2011, 10:25:57 pm »
its in my room so drying time should be pretty short so dont mess with the tension side or the right and left sides just take wood off odf the belly? am i understanding this correctly?

Offline archerforlife2

« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2011, 10:26:37 pm »
i mean off

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2011, 10:31:16 pm »
Thats what I would do for now its gonna take allot longer to dry with the bark on and if its not reduced.
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Offline aaron

« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2011, 12:16:45 am »
i would carefully peel the bark off now to speed drying and because later it will be harder.
i would also"restrain" it while it dries- lash it to a 2x4 or something.
two inches is a little small for a 50 lb bow. how long is your draw?
post a picture...
elktracker and i both work with VM a bit.
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline aaron

« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2011, 12:45:17 am »
if you want that thing to dry faster, reduce it in thickness- working the belly only until the tips are one inch thick and the handle is one and a half inches. seeing as you have only 62 inches length, you should probably go for a bendy handle bow. VM likes to warp as it dries- don't forget to lash that sucker down. If you debark and reduce it, you'll want to store it in a cool place for the first week or two so it doesn't dry TOO fast, then move it to a warm place to speed the final stages of drying. Done this way, it should be ready in about 6 weeks.
one thing elktracker and i do differently is the whole business with the tension side vs the compression side. I do think his theorey is sound (that is, make the back from tension wood, the part facing up). however i choose what will be the back of the bow based on knots and branches. find the most knot free side of the stave, then eyeball the length of the stave to check string alignment and reflex/deflex. I look for trees that have one side with no branches and only a few knots, also making sure that the string will line up and there isn't too much reflex or deflex. when i find the 1 in 100 tree that meets these criteria, i cut it down.
if you debark it- avoid metal tools- they can gouge the back. you want a perfectly undamaged back. i use a bone knife or piece of hard wood. at this time of year the bark comes off like a dream!
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2011, 12:47:53 am »
i would carefully peel the bark off now to speed drying and because later it will be harder.
i would also"restrain" it while it dries- lash it to a 2x4 or something.
two inches is a little small for a 50 lb bow. how long is your draw?
post a picture...
elktracker and i both work with VM a bit.

I have to disagree aaron I recently built a 70 lb @26 VM bow for a close friend it was 60" long and was about two inches through when I started and ended up being around 1 1/2 wide limbs by the time it was all tillered out and only took about 1" of set, so yes it was a bit overstrained but is shooting nice after several hundred arrows. I also just got a VM bow from john strunk just recently that was taken from the woods at about 1 1/2" through and now is just shy of that and pulling 55 @ 26" it has a very high crown as you would imagine and shoots like a dream!. I would agree that if he has a real long draw it might be pushing it but he can definatly pull it off IMO

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2011, 12:54:00 am »
I agree you can use the tension or compression side of it if you want but the tension side has grown to be under tension so why not use it and it can make a higher pound bow than the compression side. One thing you dont want to do and I heard this from the master of Vine Maple him self is dont use the side wood for the back or your limbs will tend to want to twist as they are drawn. Another thing I have found is that knots humps bumps havent affected any of my vine maples yet other than being tricky when tillering. IMO

Josh

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2011, 12:55:43 am »
This is the Vine Maple I got from John Strunk and as you will see it has knots and is about 1 3/8 at the widest part http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,26471.0.html

Offline archerforlife2

« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2011, 01:51:41 am »
my draw length is 29 inches i know sounds ridiculously long but its not. so i will peel the bark off and let it dry then take wood ONLY off of the belly correct?

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2011, 01:55:51 am »
IMO yes correct and I think you can get your draw length and weight you want if you take it slow. Do you ever get out to Tillamook area?

Offline Weylin

« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2011, 01:59:54 am »
Here is a thread I started. It shows what the prepared stave looks like when it is ready for drying. I hope it helps.
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,26421.0.html

Offline archerforlife2

« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2011, 02:04:04 am »
thanks for the pics helped alot will finish peeling bark off and start carving on it with the hand axe then set it in the shop for 1 week and then place it in room for another 3-5 weeks then start making it in to a 50-55# bow  ;D thanks everybody for your advice/help and no i don't travel a hole lot so that's a no on the tillamook area

Offline Weylin

« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2011, 02:53:39 am »
You're welcome, good luck with your bow. We'll be hacking away at our vine maple bows at about the same time.