Author Topic: Hazelnut bow build-a-long (fixed pictures)  (Read 285240 times)

Offline Dane

Re: Hazelnut bow build-a-long
« Reply #135 on: December 03, 2007, 09:52:45 am »
Gordon, let me join the parade of praise for this buildalong. Wonderful information, and I learned quite a few things from you. I am also impressed with how neat and organized your shop area is. Chaos is more my style, so I have to do better there!
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline huntinoly

« Reply #136 on: December 03, 2007, 11:30:10 am »
Great build along Gordon, I am keeping this one in my favorites so I can look at it when I am building bows. Thats one beautiful bow and it looks like a shooter. I finally have a stave dry enough to work on, got it floor tillered the other day, hope to finish it in the next few weeks. Let me know when the next bowyers meeting is. Greg

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
« Reply #137 on: December 04, 2007, 09:05:05 pm »
Bowmaking is aready an art, but you are one of those rare people who raises the bar........about a mile.
    Sean
« Last Edit: December 05, 2007, 12:25:39 am by 1/2primitive »
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

Offline Gordon

« Reply #138 on: December 08, 2007, 08:40:10 pm »
After letting the bow dry for a couple of days I made some minor adjustments to the tiller and then final sanded the bow. I used 100-grit to remove any remaining tool marks and then lightly sanded using 150, 220, and 320 grit paper.

I’m going to stain the bow using an alcohol based dye. I’m going to use a black dye for the handle accents and tips and light brown for the limbs.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 06:42:57 pm by Gordon »
Gordon

Offline Gordon

« Reply #139 on: December 08, 2007, 08:41:04 pm »
I start by applying the black dye to the area around the handle.

I then use a rag soaked with denatured alcohol and an abrasive pad to feather the color into the limb.

Next I dye the tips black.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 06:43:25 pm by Gordon »
Gordon

Offline Gordon

« Reply #140 on: December 08, 2007, 08:42:56 pm »
After the handle accents and tips are done, I apply the light brown dye to the limbs.

The dye will raise the grain slightly so after it dries I lightly sand the stained areas with 600-grit sandpaper.

And here is the bow after the stain job is completed.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 06:43:52 pm by Gordon »
Gordon

Offline BigWapiti

« Reply #141 on: December 08, 2007, 10:29:38 pm »
Just one word, "WOW!"   Otherwise, I'm speachless.  I've been gazing at your bow unable to leave the page.  its a true beauty Gordon, I love the color fade black to brown.

Mike
Mike B.
Central Washington State
"Take a kid hunting, it'll make a WORLD of difference" -me

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #142 on: December 08, 2007, 10:55:57 pm »
A true Master Craftsmen....Gordon, when they make the 5th Bible, I believe you will be in it......Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline Gordon

« Reply #143 on: December 08, 2007, 10:58:16 pm »
Thank you Mike, but there is still more to do - put a border between the limb/snake and tips, stitch a leather handle, build an arrow rest, letter the bow, and put on a finish. Lots to do yet, but the end is in sight.

Brian, I am flattered by your compliment - but I think I have a ways to go before I'm in that league - but thank you.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2007, 11:00:28 pm by Gordon »
Gordon

Offline deerhunter97370

« Reply #144 on: December 09, 2007, 02:22:45 am »
Ok Gordon, TBB 6 a chapter on Vine Maple. Joel
Always be ready to: Preach, Pray, or Die. John Wesley

Offline BigWapiti

« Reply #145 on: December 09, 2007, 06:02:57 pm »
Here's a beginner bowyer question that you might help me with:  Since we mustn't violate the back of the bow, the tip inlays have me wondering -- with the inlays you demonstrate a few pages back, you show cutting angularly into the back at the tips to accept the hardwood inlays.  The hardwood adds strength to that area, but still, doesn't this create a place of weakness where the inlaid hardwood meets the existing bow back ?  Since you didn't back the bow up into the inlays, how does it handle this stress?   I certainly feel I'm not explaining my question very well here.  I'll attach a picture - the point in question is where the arrow points; the line between the tip overlay and the bow back itself.  How does the bow wood handle this line between no back and the hardwood inlay?  Do they overlap some that I might have missed in the photos? 

I'm certainly not being critical; being critical would assume I knew what I was doing - and I've proven over nearly a dozen VM logs so far that I very positively do NOT ...yet.  :)

Thanks Gordon!

Mike

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: December 09, 2007, 06:06:01 pm by BigWapiti »
Mike B.
Central Washington State

Offline RT

« Reply #146 on: December 09, 2007, 09:03:39 pm »
Beautiful bow Gordon, I have to say , I have learned much following this build a long. RT
Skype ID:       robinpmtan
Yahoo chat ID : robt188

Offline Gordon

« Reply #147 on: December 09, 2007, 09:31:58 pm »
Mike,

I design my bows so that the last 2 inches of the tip do not bend. That's why cutting into the back is not a problem.
Gordon

Offline BigWapiti

« Reply #148 on: December 09, 2007, 10:15:14 pm »
Mike,
I design my bows so that the last 2 inches of the tip do not bend. That's why cutting into the back is not a problem.

Good to know; I figured you'd have had it figured out - I thnk I might give that a try.  Thanks!
Mike B.
Central Washington State

Offline Gordon

« Reply #149 on: December 09, 2007, 10:20:51 pm »
Actually, it's more like 3" inches of non-bending tip. But who's counting  :D
Gordon