Author Topic: 2015 Primitive Archer bow trade works in progress  (Read 351002 times)

Offline jeffp51

Re: 2015 Primitive Archer bow trade works in progress
« Reply #975 on: August 26, 2015, 06:31:17 pm »
Jeff, you don't get a bow? I'll hook you up. If memory serves you made a sweet azz curvey osage bow, correct me if Im wrong. You deserve a shootable rig in return.

Pearldrums, that is a very nice gesture. If it doesn't work out with the guy who has me, I would be honored to shoot one of your bows-i very much appreciate your and steelslinger's kind words about my work. Sometimes (especially lately)with my job, that kind of positive feedback is rare.

It's one of the reasons I keep coming to this site.

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #976 on: August 26, 2015, 06:37:28 pm »
And for what it is worth, I thought that piece of Osage I sent out had some sweet curves on it too. Enjoy it, Brad, and if it proves to be flawed and breaks on you, let me know, and I will make it right.

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #977 on: August 26, 2015, 07:36:45 pm »
With what all seems to be going on, I feel like I had better put it out there that the bow I sent broke shortly after getting to its new home, the tip broke off splitting about 2" separating grain layers. He was good enough to let me know promptly and sent it back to me to repair it. Which Ill be able to get everything glued up tomorrow evening and will be testing it out Sunday. Which I thank you for giving me the opportunity to redeem myself. If everything goes smoothly it won't be long and you will have your bow back and more Which its wierd to me that it broke since a buddy and I shot it a bunch before sending it. It's probably a combination of I made the tips tiny and not padding the bow in the tube well enough. Both issues of which I'll be sure to correct. Which I'm sorry happened and I'll be sure to make it up to you.

Kyle

Offline LittleBen

« Reply #978 on: August 26, 2015, 08:24:00 pm »
I'd like to respectfully chime in if I may. I know I'm not well known by many on PA, but I've shipped a few trade bows over the last couple years and given away many more locally.

I swap because I like to gift. I did the TG swap 3 years I think, this year is my fourth. My first bow was not great but shoot able. My second was a huge step forward, my third I believe was also not my finest work ever but was a reasonable performing shootsble rig. This year I will do better than all those years past. I don't measure my swaps on what I receive but on what I was able to make and give away.

As the veterans have noted, this sort of thing always happens. Some of us will always try to do our best, and some will spend 6 months convincing themselves they've done theyre best.

I don't mean to hurt feelings, but I'm not the type to pull punches either. For the veterans who do enter, I believe they do it for love and charity and not for 'trade' per se.

One on one swaps between mutually respectful peers is really the best way. Doing so has earned me some great friends.

I think part of it too is that the forums have exploded in popularity in the last few years and it's not the same small community it once was.

Cheers

Offline bubby

« Reply #979 on: August 26, 2015, 08:46:28 pm »
Well said ben
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #980 on: August 26, 2015, 08:49:14 pm »
One on one swaps between mutually respectful peers is really the best way. Doing so has earned me some great friends.

I think part of it too is that the forums have exploded in popularity in the last few years and it's not the same small community it once was.

Amen
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Les.Bishop

« Reply #981 on: August 26, 2015, 11:32:04 pm »
  all you guys may not take much notice of this because i dont post much here just mainly lurke.  but ive been watching these trades for quite a few years now . i dont partisapate as i live in australia and most of you guys dont like shiping overseas, which doent matter . i like watching the trades , but i think you all have forgotten what the trades are about and only think its great way to recieve a great bow with out to much out lay . even the veterans appear to have aquired this attertude.  i think if you want a trade that will achieve the main goal of the trade which is boost beginers moral and help them be better bow builders then at the end of every trade all recievers must give a fair and honest review of the bow recieved. 

Offline Josh B

« Reply #982 on: August 27, 2015, 12:21:58 am »
Wow! The wheels are really coming off this train.  The point of these trades has been corrupted or completely lost it would seem.  What a crying shame that is.  Josh

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #983 on: August 27, 2015, 12:28:40 am »
Josh, I actually don't think so. Give people a day or two to cool off and I think things will be fine.  This site is full of good people trying to do the right thing.  When things calm down a little everyone will remember that.  Everything will work out, I am sure.

Offline sleek

« Reply #984 on: August 27, 2015, 12:56:05 am »
These problems cannot be fixed. The problems being people will always back out for one reason or another. Or you recieve a poor bow. Thing is, a poor bow to you may be another guys absolute best. You cant quatify what a good bow is, fit, finish, performance.  If it holds and shoots an arrow its a bow like it or not.

The higher your skill set is the more likely you are to get a bow that is less than your quality. Honestly,  you should expect it and join the fun knowing it. I know my level of inexperience is pathetic compared to many on here still. But thats the thing about life. No matter how good you get, someone is always better than you. I just do my best hoping to make a serviceable bow the other guy will at least enjoy shooting. If he doesnt find it attractive at least he could find it handy. Kinda like my wife looks at me....

Id cringe if I drew the name of some on here because I know my level of craftsmanship is just not on their level. I feel bad for beginners who draw me because im sure im not alone I my feelings.  ( should a new guy read this and you draw my name, just make the best you can. There is plenty of beauty in function. ) However, in defining beginners,  if they only made one bow,  dont join, we do like serviceable bows.

The guys who run this do try to rule out the super inexperienced for obvious reasons but I guess you cant make anything fool proof. After all, I got in. If you join, expect less than what you give if you are experienced.  If you are new, you have many months to practice. Don't waste time, and if dedicating months to a project feels like work, you shouldnt join, your not ready yet. 

I hope the hurt feelings heal soon. I dont think im the only person trying to make things right here. To help in the future,  a thread cou t threshold should be considered.  I have 2000 something posts. Whats that mean? I have invested into this community my time, feelings, efforts. This is in some ways MY community. Im invested in it and want whats best. Obviously if someone from another site wants in with a low count I should vouch for them and it should be good enough. If they fall through, it was on my word they were good, its on me to make it right.  Just future considerations.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline autologus

« Reply #985 on: August 27, 2015, 07:53:33 am »
I have been reading this and I have a comment or two, I did not join this year because I am just too busy this year with my daughter being a Senior and started a new job, I did not want to make a commitment and risk not being able to keep it.

With that said I am by no means an accomplished bowyer, I am still very much a novice.  I have been in the trade the last two years and those two bows are the best bows I have ever made, I poured my heart and soul into both of them and did the absolute best I could.  I hope they are still together and my recipient likes them because my greatest fear on trades like this is failing to make the mark. 

Being a novice I can look at pictures on this forum till the cows come home but will not learn near as much on how to properly build a bow like I would by being able to handle a bow built by someone with greater skill than I for just a few minutes. 

These trades used to be about giving and not receiving, it was to build the best you could for your recipient and push the limits of your abilities.  I understand the need for a minimum level of competence in these trades because people will use the best materials they have to create these works of art and they have a significant amount of time and money invested in them. 

I would hate to see the trades go by the way of the dodo and would rather see something like a trade for beginners and novices and a trade for the veterans because I learn a great deal from looking at what is posted as well as what I can hold in my hands.

Grady
Proud Hillbilly from Arkansas.

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #986 on: August 27, 2015, 10:03:15 am »
Lots of you have hit the nail right on the head. This is about community, and not about stuff. It is about being able to see what someone else has done, taking a bit of their thinking and being able to hold it in your hands. I will be completely honest. There were few that joined this year that I expected masterpieces from, and ALL of the people who I had reservations about knocked it out of the park. I treated the trade like christmas. I haven't received yet, and no matter what I get, I will learn from it. i am not a master by any stretch of the imagination. Thanks for everyone kicking butt. Sleek, thanks for picking up some slack. Huisme and Steelslinger, thanks for helping with the Admin duties. Thanks for all the people who have read and commented here throughout the entire time.

Jeff, your bow has been shipped. It should be getting to your neck of the woods soon.  >:D
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #987 on: August 27, 2015, 11:10:26 am »
Thanks Jojo! I know you have worked at this trying to keep the trade going.

Don't want to sound like that guy. But do you have any news on the bow that I'm supposed to receive? Thanks again, Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline sleek

« Reply #988 on: August 27, 2015, 11:18:19 am »
Slow day at work eh pat? If you dont receive a bow, ill make ya one buddy. Ill be sure its something.... unique shall we say? >:D just cause I love ya buddy... ( no homo )
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 11:34:09 am by sleek »
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #989 on: August 27, 2015, 12:09:20 pm »
Thanks Jojo! I know you have worked at this trying to keep the trade going.

Don't want to sound like that guy. But do you have any news on the bow that I'm supposed to receive? Thanks again, Patrick
Unfortunately I don't know who is sending you a bow. I can kinda figure it out, but you weren't on my list. Whoever sent you your name should be able to help. I don't have the list in front of me as I am at work. As soon as I get home I will blast out a group message to all the guys who haven't shipped yet. 5 of us haven't received, but only 1 isn't accounted for so far that I am aware. Sleeks second trade is good, Jeffs is good, and I know two that are sending.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.