Author Topic: Marshall Mini Bow Challenge  (Read 143560 times)

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
Re: Marshall Mini Bow Challenge
« Reply #60 on: December 28, 2015, 07:31:50 pm »
Eff it! I'm getting in on this! I'm gonna start mine tonight! Who should I send it to, so they can shoot it at Marshall?
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Thunder

« Reply #61 on: December 28, 2015, 08:50:17 pm »
Thanks for the honesty Chuck ;)

Thunder keep in mind this is Marshall, Michigan. I know there is a Marshall, MO shoot, I believe.
Pearl Drums, thanks for pointing it out, I didn't see that.
But, you never know, I have been known to get around. :o
"The two most important days in your life are the day you are born...and the day you find out why."  Mark Twain

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #62 on: December 29, 2015, 08:01:20 am »
We would gladly have you! Best to bring warm clothes up here in late May.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

blackhawk

« Reply #63 on: December 29, 2015, 08:34:02 am »
Eff it! I'm getting in on this! I'm gonna start mine tonight! Who should I send it to, so they can shoot it at Marshall?

Sweet!!! U could bring it to the classic if its done by then and if your gonna make it,and give it to one of us who will also be at marshall(clint,bill,scott,guy,me or whoever else)...heck if i have one of mine done ill bring mine down to tennersee n we can go plink some arras with em

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #64 on: December 29, 2015, 12:02:14 pm »

Sweet!!! U could bring it to the classic if its done by then and if your gonna make it,and give it to one of us who will also be at marshall(clint,bill,scott,guy,me or whoever else)...heck if i have one of mine done ill bring mine down to tennersee n we can go plink some arras with em

Sounds like a plan
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Badger

« Reply #65 on: December 29, 2015, 12:34:08 pm »
  What are the rules for the contest? Is it going to be a flite shoot? It looks like it may turn into a fun match. You all might want to start talking arrows.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #66 on: December 29, 2015, 01:02:15 pm »
  What are the rules for the contest? Is it going to be a flite shoot? It looks like it may turn into a fun match. You all might want to start talking arrows.

I would like to know as well. Is there a length limit? 21"?
Clatskanie, Oregon

blackhawk

« Reply #67 on: December 29, 2015, 01:15:36 pm »
One rule...natural materials bow totaling no longer than 24" long...

No flight shooting per say,but im sure we'll be launching them across the pond at a bear target..dont know how far that is..80-90 yards?  Not sure if theres an area or field there on the clubs property thats big enough to flight shoot...altho the adjoining properties have some big enough fields...

What wood you setup for arrows steve? This is out of my realm of experience...i was thinking small 2" long fletching,and use a 2 fletch instead of the 3...n then experimenting with a couple diff diameter shafts untill i found ones that flew best...any recommendations there? Any front or rear end barrels,both,or just parallel shafts? Id rather them be as light as possible,but still maintain semi decent flight...im not taking it to serious..jus wanna be in the ballpark,and not looking to smash flight records if ya know what i mean. ;)

Online Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #68 on: December 29, 2015, 04:23:16 pm »
Do micro bows count? This little guy is only 9" drawing about 15 pounds at 4" draw. It's black licust and the last ring of sapwood before the heart. I know the tiller isn't perfect but I ran out of wood. I wonder if the larger bamboo skewers would work for you. That's what a buddy and I use for our mini bows and they usually work pretty well. Though the largest mini now we've built are about 18". The skewers were about right for it but too stiff for the tiny bows. We've chronographed mini bows like the one pictures up to about 115 fps or so.

Kyle

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #69 on: December 29, 2015, 05:38:41 pm »
One rule...natural materials bow totaling no longer than 24" long...

No flight shooting per say,but im sure we'll be launching them across the pond at a bear target..dont know how far that is..80-90 yards?  Not sure if theres an area or field there on the clubs property thats big enough to flight shoot...altho the adjoining properties have some big enough fields...

What wood you setup for arrows steve? This is out of my realm of experience...i was thinking small 2" long fletching,and use a 2 fletch instead of the 3...n then experimenting with a couple diff diameter shafts untill i found ones that flew best...any recommendations there? Any front or rear end barrels,both,or just parallel shafts? Id rather them be as light as possible,but still maintain semi decent flight...im not taking it to serious..jus wanna be in the ballpark,and not looking to smash flight records if ya know what i mean. ;)

Chris  what draw length  and weight  are you thinking you are shooting for we will need to know to figure your arrows out but I would figure you may want to barrel them to get the weight of the shaft down but keep the spine up to your draw weight
Steve may come back with some suggestions but I am sure we will need your numbers to get you close

I have a ton of work to do before I can even make a run at this but sure hope to get in on it
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline Badger

« Reply #70 on: December 29, 2015, 06:18:44 pm »
   The arrows would be best using the densest material possible. The light weight of the arrows will not carry much fletching, I would make the fletch no more than 1/2" long and less than 1/4" high. I wouldn't go through a lot of trouble making arrows though., The bamboo skewers or shish ka bob skewer might work pretty good. A little weight up front will make up for using a less dense wood somewhat.

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #71 on: December 29, 2015, 06:25:18 pm »
Chris what material shafting are you wanting to try
Maybe we can get Pat to cut us some 1/4 inch hill cain!

The CWBS folks that come go shoot a feild  on Saturday  if you want we can ask them about tagging along
or maybe  we can ask the Eaton proving  ground  to let us use some space

but really  since Clint wants to catch arrows we can shoot off the Dam and see how far up the lake he gets in a row boat before our arrows won't  reach him LOL

no matter what we will be having a blast
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #72 on: December 29, 2015, 06:27:41 pm »
 man all this Marshall talk is getting me excited. I will be there early as usual getting the best camping spot >:D

blackhawk

« Reply #73 on: December 30, 2015, 12:51:53 pm »
Thatll work tool kyle...anything under 24" total is fair game

Thanks for the advice n help steve n guy...im sure ill figure it out ;)

You n me both pauly!!!! ;)

I got my 2nd one floor tillered and ready to heat shape.  This ones getting statics  >:D

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #74 on: December 30, 2015, 01:05:09 pm »
We need pictures Chris