Author Topic: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information  (Read 695066 times)

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

Re: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information
« Reply #1545 on: February 21, 2016, 01:01:20 pm »
Man Rich that must be a sister to that Osage I'm working on

Offline ajooter

« Reply #1546 on: February 21, 2016, 01:34:16 pm »
I like that snake little number rich....should make a unique bow for sure!

Offline half eye

« Reply #1547 on: February 21, 2016, 01:39:51 pm »
Gutshot, I hear ya man.....but the belly split (sawed off) is headed south real soon so we'll see >:D

Ajooter, I sure hope it makes a good one.....never had that happen before with the Penobscot type bows so I dont know if it is a problem or not as far as longevity goes.

rich

Offline Drewster

« Reply #1548 on: February 21, 2016, 02:29:44 pm »
Rich, it's an honor to have you helping all of us out.  This trade seems to be as good as it gets.  Great group for sure.  Sorry about that Penobscot tip twist.  Wood sure has a mind of its own and a surprise in every piece......but that's what keeps it interesting.

First Brace.   Got Miss Ornery braced for the first time this afternoon at about 3".  Let me know what you think.  The right side is the top limb.....at least for now.  The left limb has some propeller twist in the middle 2/3 section.  My next step will be heat treating and I'm hoping I can take some of this twist out during the heat treating.   Hope Miss Ornery doesn't continue to be ornery.  I wasn't looking for THIS much of a challenge for my trade bow.  Boy, every bow is a tutor.

Drew - Boone, NC

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #1549 on: February 21, 2016, 03:29:25 pm »
Drew, looks pretty good for low brace. Tiller looks close but hard to tell much from photos. You're getting close to being finished from the looks of it.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline half eye

« Reply #1550 on: February 21, 2016, 03:58:31 pm »
Drewster,
        I took the liberty of putting a mark on your pic. I think that a few scrapes there on the "strong side" of the limb will go a long way to helping with the twist and evening out the bend. It looks like the strong side is against the chalkboard.
       Take a look at it and make your own judgement sir.....
rich

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #1551 on: February 21, 2016, 04:47:59 pm »
Sorry to here about the penobscot Rich. Cant wait to see that snake bending though.

Did get my dogwood billets moved to my hotbox today.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 05:26:50 pm by turtle »
Steve Bennett

Offline PlanB

• SRHacksaw
« Reply #1552 on: February 21, 2016, 05:31:47 pm »
Jeff P51, really nice wood you got there!
Loope, that is going to be one cool bow when you're done with it!
Swampman, really looking forward to what you can do with your white birch.
Rich, too bad about the Penobscot, but you don't seem to let much stop you! Your snake bow will be cool.
ajooter, sorry about that crack in the stave. But you've been turning out the bows, too, I bet you have yet another planned?  re. birch -- the black (sweet) birch is actually pretty heavy, but it's also very stiff, so you end up with fairly thin limbs, and similar mass to anything else. White birch is less dense, and less stiff, so it will yield a thicker limb, again at about the same mass -- at least according to the mass principle. I have a third variety -- yellow birch -- haven't tried it yet. It is dense and stiff, and also has interlocking grain, which black birch does not. Almost like elm in that respect. I will probably try some yellow birch after the spring when I plan to cut some. White, I won't be trying because most of mine has died out, and I want to let the survivors grow.

Drewster your stuff looks ten times better on the tree at any particular moment than mine does. Very neat work.
jandersson, thank you kindly!
Dakota, your elm sounds mighty fine with those tips added. re. the birch -- I'm liking black birch -- it grows straight and tall and limbless for 30 or more feet, so it's easy to get clear wood out of it. Most common hardwood I have growing here, so I'm glad i can use it. I'll be curious to see the difference in yellow birch.....
I love it when a plan B comes together....

Offline half eye

« Reply #1553 on: February 21, 2016, 05:48:36 pm »
Mr. B
    I have made a handfull of Eastern Woodland bendies from yellow birch and they proved to be excellent bows. They are quite snappy little shooters.
rich

Offline PlanB

• SRHacksaw
« Reply #1554 on: February 21, 2016, 07:07:09 pm »
Rich, I'd love to see those if you have any pix.....
I love it when a plan B comes together....

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #1555 on: February 21, 2016, 07:33:00 pm »
Ok, so my plan A has been givin me fits at every turn and plan 2 is gonna be somethin to finish some other time. Sooo got my 3rd hackberry almost ruffed out. Will be postin pics in next couple days. I'm jealous of all u guys, everyone's work looks so good.
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline half eye

« Reply #1556 on: February 21, 2016, 07:52:04 pm »
Mr B....I'll check both compiters and see if any survived (pics that is) I know I posted at least 2 of 'em but dont know if the pics are still on the old threads. Let me check sir......
rich

Offline ajooter

« Reply #1557 on: February 21, 2016, 08:32:51 pm »
Well guys...id like some advice.  This is a stave I roughed out in the beginning.  Its almost 68" and longer then I would have wanted for the draw im shooting for but I want to finish the bow anyway.  I posted a picture of the unbraced profile and the current tiller at 14" @ ~35#.  I kind of wanted to keep the natural profile of the stave instead of trying to steam and heat the stave into a more desirable shape.  Right now the right limb which is the top is coming around nicely.  Im not sure what I should do with the left?

When I get it closer to brace it will probably heat treat the bow and add a little reflex (that's when I usually do it anyway).  The unbraced profile is how this stave started...didn't have any great characteristics starting out.  Just wanted to hear your thoughts.  Thanks in advance for your comments.

Offline half eye

« Reply #1558 on: February 21, 2016, 08:44:37 pm »
Ajooter,
     On that left limb between the natural dippsy doodle and the grip fade the limb is stiffer than that area of the right one.  I think if you scrape a small amount of bend in that area your limb should resemble the right except the outter half of lefty will be low compared to righty but the bends will be even......if you try that go real slow and check often because it will change pretty quickly.
rich

Offline ajooter

« Reply #1559 on: February 21, 2016, 08:50:32 pm »
Should I focus more towards the 'dipsy doodle' rich?  I agree with you....I'm sure when it decides to move it will go fast.