Author Topic: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information  (Read 693884 times)

Offline PlanB

• SRHacksaw
Re: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information
« Reply #2325 on: April 05, 2016, 10:46:50 am »
That looks really good Jeffp51! Sorry I can't help with back de-greasing advice.
I love it when a plan B comes together....

Offline ajooter

« Reply #2326 on: April 05, 2016, 10:54:48 am »
I don't like to put the rawhide in really hot water.  I put it in Luke warm water and let it soak for a half hour.  Sometime I have to change the water.   You should be able to take it out of the water and actually stretch it out.  Clare Hayes does a great follow on you tube.  I cover the back of the bow with tb3 as well as the underside of the rawhide.  Very important is to size the back of the bow with a coating of glue first and allow it to dry.  Then you can add more glue as well as the glue to the rawhide.  If not going all the way to the tips you can use masking tape to tape off areas you don't want to get glue on.  Once the rawhide is layed on the bow I like to wrap it at the handle and start working it down towards the tips getting all the air bubbles out.   Then I continue the wrapping down to the tips.  I use ace bandage, innertubes, or old cotton shirts cut up.  You want something with some stretch so you can get it tight...but not too tight.  I let it sit for a couple hours...maybe 3...then I take the wrapping off to check for any major bubbles.  If you find bubbles you may be able to still squeeze them out or you may have to price them with a pin and hit the spot with an iron.

My two  cents...good luck...that's a nice stave.

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #2327 on: April 05, 2016, 01:02:10 pm »
Jeff,  tight bond will work but I save that for putting snake skins on over the rawhide. If you want the rawhide to really suck down to the yew I would first wash it with dawn dish soap and super hot water. Then mix you up some Knox gelatine/hide glue in a double boiler. Don't get it hotter than what is comfortable to your fingers. Rawhide and hide glue are made for each other. Then I rough up the back of the bow with an old hacksaw blade. Take your rawhide out of the water and stretch it out and dry it off pretty good. Apply a sizing coat of hide glue to the bow and the rawhide. I use a small horse hair paint brush.  Let it get tacky then apply  a good coat of glue to them both and apply the rawhide to the back of the bow. Work out the air bubbles with your thumbs from side to side. Then using a damp rag on the rawhide squeegee the the glue down the bow.  Work it until it sets up some,  it won't take too long. I don't wrap it any more at all. Just repeat for the other side. Hope this helps.

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2328 on: April 05, 2016, 01:54:37 pm »
Jeff, I've never degreased a bow in my life and never had a backing of any sort lift. Yew, especially, isn't oily. Id just rough it up a bit and glue it down however you choose.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #2329 on: April 05, 2016, 06:02:50 pm »
I prefer to sight across a short straight-edge than using a gizmo - move the straight edge along the inside of the limb and watch the gap between the edge and the limb open and close  - as the bow gets nearer final tiller and the curve is deeper you just use a shorter straight edge

Gizmo - straight edge - basically doing the same thing, both work fine.  Gizmo just puts a mark on the bows belly while a straight edge does not.  Either way, using one early on in the process helps getting even limbs and bends.  Especially when learning the process.
Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #2330 on: April 05, 2016, 06:30:57 pm »
Pearly,

The bow in question was heat corrected with oil if I read correctly. I would make an effort to remove the oil in the treated area at least. Soap and water is good. After I usually hit it with denatured alcohol or acetone, just to be safe and to speed up the dry time a bit
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline ajooter

« Reply #2331 on: April 05, 2016, 06:49:38 pm »
Shouldn't be any oil on the back from heat treatment...heat should never be applied to the back of the bow.  I would just wiper the back down with a little acetone to clean it up.

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #2332 on: April 05, 2016, 07:04:27 pm »
Gut,
Thanks. What about degreasing the back of a stave?  Is dish soap and water enough?
i use light sand paper then I take a hack saw blade and groove it long ways to get a good glue job

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #2333 on: April 05, 2016, 07:21:25 pm »
Here's my hack-curve at 5" brace, currently 40#@ 20". Top limb is 1" longer and has 3/16 " positive tiller. Oh this is plan c.
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #2334 on: April 05, 2016, 07:43:39 pm »
Stixs that looks good don't forget 26" draw 50lb oh ya left handed. Thanks

Offline ajooter

« Reply #2335 on: April 05, 2016, 07:44:54 pm »
Looks great stix...digging those curves

Offline half eye

« Reply #2336 on: April 05, 2016, 07:49:51 pm »
Stix, that dog will hunt right there....very nice
rich

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #2337 on: April 05, 2016, 08:48:15 pm »
Thanx guys, hopefully in the next couple days i'll be flingin arra's.
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #2338 on: April 05, 2016, 08:58:06 pm »
Looking good stix!
Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #2339 on: April 05, 2016, 09:25:43 pm »
Pearly,

The bow in question was heat corrected with oil if I read correctly. I would make an effort to remove the oil in the treated area at least. Soap and water is good. After I usually hit it with denatured alcohol or acetone, just to be safe and to speed up the dry time a bit

That's right. Only the belly had any heat on it. The vegetable oil does get on the Back in the process, and that is what I want to remove. Think I will start with soap and water and then use a little alcohol.