Author Topic: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information  (Read 693908 times)

Offline DuBois

Re: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information
« Reply #2340 on: April 06, 2016, 12:14:55 am »
Stixs that looks good don't forget 26" draw 50lb oh ya left handed. Thanks

AhAhAh! Back up there Mr. Gut.
I think that one is coming my way brother  8)

Offline Sidmand

« Reply #2341 on: April 06, 2016, 09:12:36 am »
You guys are killing it, I'm lagging behind a little bit but I will catch up fast when I can get back after it.  I'm having to rebuild my back fence right now - and rebuilding a 6 foot privacy fence by myself is time consuming and a bit tiring.  I hope to have it done by this weekend or early next week though, and then its back to bow making.
"Criticism is something we can avoid easily by saying nothing, doing nothing, and being nothing." --> Aristotle

Offline DuBois

« Reply #2342 on: April 06, 2016, 10:31:00 am »
I'm with ya Sid, too many irons in the fire at the moment but we still got time.
My sinew is ready to tiller and then cover so wll be getting after it again soon.
Got to help the bison rancher skin out a bull last week and collected some parts that have me busy as a one legged man at a ass kickin contest. I shoulda took pictures but I was a little grubby  ;D

I hope to keep on helping him with them when he slaughters.

Offline Ranasp

« Reply #2343 on: April 06, 2016, 06:33:43 pm »
Went out and measured my BL stave/knot.  The entire stave is 87", and that knot is around the 58" mark.  I forgot to answer a question about it, it's completely sealed up on the back.  Here's a close up of it on the back.  As you can see, it really spreads wide from side to side. 

Offline half eye

« Reply #2344 on: April 06, 2016, 06:59:45 pm »
Ranasp,
     The knot on the belly side is under compression as the bow is bent....filing it with superglue etc should take care of the integrity issues. You may wish to get it closer to dimensions before gluing only to save glue.
rich

Offline DuBois

« Reply #2346 on: April 06, 2016, 08:31:30 pm »
Hey Ranasp, If you came from the other end would the knot fall in the handle?

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
« Reply #2347 on: April 06, 2016, 08:58:44 pm »
Pincushion, that bow looks really good.  Nice work.

Offline PlanB

• SRHacksaw
« Reply #2348 on: April 06, 2016, 09:25:46 pm »
Here you go pincushin....

A quick way to do that is to copy the URL on the right side of the screen in Photobucket in the slot called "Direct"

Then paste that into your reply.

Then highlight that link you just pasted and click on the editor button above your reply on the left of the second row. It's a little yellowish picture right under the big B (bold) button in the first row. It will surround your ling with "IMG" tags -- telling the forum software the link is an image.

Check to make sure it works by hitting Preview. You should see your image inline.

Hope that helps!
I love it when a plan B comes together....

Offline Ranasp

« Reply #2349 on: April 06, 2016, 11:08:19 pm »
Hey Ranasp, If you came from the other end would the knot fall in the handle?

Only if I made the bow about 45"  ;) 

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #2350 on: April 07, 2016, 02:19:54 am »
You be better off using the knot as one of the nocks and making it 58 inches.  ;)
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #2351 on: April 07, 2016, 11:54:34 am »
Well this blackthorn was gonna be plan c but when I started stripping the bark I found this

the split is 20" from one end, 8" long and 24" from the other end.  I think its toast, what do you think?

Stuck
« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 01:07:23 pm by stuckinthemud »

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2352 on: April 07, 2016, 01:13:11 pm »
I wouldn't use it for a trade bow. It may seem like I dog every idea you have, but its with good intentions for you AND especially the guy that gets your offering. This isn't a time for experiments or gambling. Now is the time to build a rock solid bow that can be trusted. Build what you know and try not to get ahead of yourself.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #2353 on: April 07, 2016, 01:55:35 pm »
Hi PearlDrums, I don't feel like that at all, I post when I need help and advice and all advice is good advice.  My own feeling is that this stick is not for a trade bow and if everyone agrees, so be it, but if I'm wrong and there is an alternative then it would be good to hear it.  For instance, what if the billet were cut in half and the experience I have gained with take downs used so that the split could be designed out in the taper of a TD long bow? I have built long bows and pyramid bows so I know I can build a good solid one of them, but its the take-down thing that I am struggling to learn at the moment

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2354 on: April 07, 2016, 02:06:13 pm »
Build what you know best. Somebody else will be shooting it.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.