Author Topic: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information  (Read 693900 times)

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

Re: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information
« Reply #2565 on: April 18, 2016, 12:15:27 pm »
Sidmand nice start to a good looking stave. I like the character.

Offline dylanholderman

« Reply #2566 on: April 18, 2016, 10:21:37 pm »
thanks guys  ;D

the wood is bush honeysuckle (the invasive stuff)

i forgot to say the yew wood for the tips is from my first trade bow that broke.
and i ended up taking the polly finish off and doing a beeswax/walnut oil finish instead.

fred i'm going to hang onto it a bit longer, i'm going to bring it with me to the classic.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 10:30:06 pm by dylanholderman »

Offline Loope

« Reply #2567 on: April 18, 2016, 11:06:53 pm »
That is nice Dylan!  I have been looking on our farm for some bush honeysuckle large enough to cut, so far only found arrow material.

I've got the dogwood straightened, the string tracks exactly down the center of the handle now.  I had shaved the handle down with a coarse rasp to get through some rough looking wood.  I went out to work on it tonight and had to flatten it to glue on another board.  After lots of time with rasps, files, block sanding by hand, and checking with a straightedge, I think I finally got it flat.  I cut a cherry board and sanded it flat, then glued on with tight bond 3.  Now waiting for glue to cure.

Offline ajooter

« Reply #2568 on: April 19, 2016, 06:14:16 am »
I hope you have enough meat under that handle to keep it from popping when you start tillering.  A good rule of thumb is an extra 1/4" of thickness at the handle area fade transition.  It's kind of hard to see so I may be putting the cart before the horse.

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #2569 on: April 19, 2016, 09:14:13 pm »
jooter, I often do just that when I want that handle bending at full draw. Wish the hell I could figure out the tip end.  >:( >:(
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline Drewster

« Reply #2570 on: April 19, 2016, 09:24:55 pm »
Great to see so much progress being made.  I got my Plan B heat treated and ready for low brace.  Curious to see how she's going to look. 

How many of you guys are headed to the TN Classic next week.  Hope to meet some of you out there.  It'll be my first trip to the Classic and I'm REALLY looking forward to it.
Drew - Boone, NC

Offline ajooter

« Reply #2571 on: April 19, 2016, 09:31:17 pm »
That looks great Drew...your bench is a mess though!!  That bottle of tight bond just sitting out!  :P

Can't wait to see her start to bend.

Fred there are so many things I still haven't figured out and probably never will  ;D

Offline Drewster

« Reply #2572 on: April 19, 2016, 09:44:14 pm »
Well ajooter, I thought I'd cleaned up for the pic.......forgot the darn broom too ;-)
Drew - Boone, NC

Offline Loope

« Reply #2573 on: April 19, 2016, 10:00:54 pm »
Thanks ajooter, I knew leave the handle thicker, but had not heard how much thicker.  I think/hope I am good.  I still need to thin the limbs a little.  I took the clamps off and trimmed the cherry to fit and did an initial rough shaping with a rasp.  Attached are some pics of where I am at the moment.

I will be at the classic next week as well, looking forward to meeting you guys.

Michael

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #2574 on: April 19, 2016, 10:11:09 pm »
tillering this stick has been pretty non eventful.  this is 26" and 60# ---the heaviest I have made a bow.  My goal is 60# @ 29" so that I am confident it is safe out to 28.  Set still seems well within acceptable.  I see a couple of very minor spots to work on in the last three inches, but I am curious if anyone else sees the same thing.  Tell me how you feel, and remember this is for posterity, so be honest.

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #2575 on: April 19, 2016, 10:16:41 pm »
Michael, take that with you to the Classic, you can't go wrong with the help you'll get.

I've never been there but if I could afford the trip I'd be there 3 weeks early only hoping they could put up with me.

You have to  understand that I'm almost as old as Pappy but don't get around near as much as he does.;

I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline Drewster

« Reply #2576 on: April 19, 2016, 10:35:25 pm »
Michael, looks a wee bit stiff coming out of the fade on the right limb.  Other than that, she looks sweet to me.  Yeah, take her to the Classic.
Drew - Boone, NC

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #2577 on: April 20, 2016, 06:16:32 am »
The right fade is definitely stiffer than the left. Hit that with a few scrapes and you will have it before you know it.

Offline ajooter

« Reply #2578 on: April 20, 2016, 06:22:47 am »
Michael, looks a wee bit stiff coming out of the fade on the right limb.  Other than that, she looks sweet to me.  Yeah, take her to the Classic.

+1

Offline ajooter

« Reply #2579 on: April 20, 2016, 08:53:51 am »
I think you will be all right with that handle loope.  make sure you don't have sharp angles on your fades.  you really want to taper them on a nice curve up into the handle.  not only is that visually pleasing but safer in design.  I rarely glue a one piece handle on anymore.  I like to start with a thinner lamination first then built up from there.

that color combinations looks great!