Author Topic: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information  (Read 693913 times)

Offline Stixnstones

Re: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information
« Reply #2730 on: May 06, 2016, 03:27:17 pm »
swampman, love that finish work, looks great.
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline ty_in_ND

« Reply #2731 on: May 09, 2016, 10:40:28 am »
There are some great bows posted so far!  I hate to admit I haven't been following as closely as I would like, but now that I'm finished with orchestra for the season, I'll have more free time to look and post.

Speaking of posting... I have been working on the bow over the past couple of weeks.  Here's a picture of what it looked like on the tillering tree last night:

The angle of the camera is not quite straight up and down, but I think you can see what's going on.  It's at 16 inches now at a short brace (2").  The left limb is a tad stronger than the right and I think I can get the limbs near the outer fades to bend a bit more, but I think it's not too bad.  At how much weight it's pulling at 16", I think I'll have more than enough wood to make my weight goal.  It also hasn't taken a lot of set yet (about 1/4"), but since I want to flip the tips, I'm fine with a little set (it's just good that it hasn't taken, say, 3" of set at this point!).

Aside from doing some house and yard work, I really hope to get the bow to the 20" mark today so I can get to bending the tips.  I'll also try to get the brace up to 3" for the next round of tillering, but my tillering string has been a bit stretchy and therefore a bit uncooperative... I might have to whip up a tillering string from the D97 string I have.  In fact, I think I will do that right now (I have 2 nearly full spools, so I know I have plenty of material!).
"The best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing."

Offline half eye

« Reply #2732 on: May 09, 2016, 10:48:39 am »
Hey Ty,
     That is looking good sir....Just a suggestion, take a few scrapes mid-limbish on the left limb (in the pic) and even the two limbs up more at this point. I think that would make it easier for you check tiller after ya flip the tips....but there are a lot of ways to go about it bud.
rich

Offline ty_in_ND

« Reply #2733 on: May 09, 2016, 12:36:44 pm »
Thanks for the tip, Rich!  That sounds like a good way to tackle it.  The new tillering string is ready for action, so away I go!
"The best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing."

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #2734 on: May 09, 2016, 04:36:56 pm »
Really enjoying the progress pics, especially as things have gone crazy in work and I haven't been able to get anything done beyond roughing out the stave for plan c. Only two more weeks left and then I can really crack on !

Offline TimothyR

• PM110782
« Reply #2735 on: May 09, 2016, 06:06:14 pm »
Got my plan b done. Just put the first coat of true oil on.  I am going to try a belly skins on I got from Cip. It won't be long before it's ready to ship. Shoots really good too.  I'll get some finished pics up soon!
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 12:03:17 am by TimothyR »
Freedom dies one compromise at a time. III%

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #2736 on: May 09, 2016, 09:46:49 pm »
Ty. Looking good

Timothy. I saw a bow at the classic with belly skins and I said right then the next snake I get the belly skins would be saved. I'm am so tickled you are putting them on your trade bow I think they look awesome.

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #2737 on: May 10, 2016, 07:25:56 pm »
Ok, I need a good finish that is UV blocking and non-yellowing for some purpleheart trim I am using. My normal finish is tung oil, but it has too much yellow in it and turned my purpleheart brownish (on a test piece.)

I have been doing some experimenting.  Heating the purpleheart with a heat gun will turn it a dark violet that looks awsome--but the tung oil ruined the look.  The same finish on non-heated wood looks a little better.  If anyone has any experience,  I would love to hear it.

My other option is antler.  What is a good finish over antler that will not yellow it too much?

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #2738 on: May 10, 2016, 07:33:49 pm »
Tru oil should do the trick for you Jeff.
You could always use beeswax and talo mix. Then just put some straight beeswax over it and buff it to shine.

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #2739 on: May 10, 2016, 07:38:05 pm »
where do you even get tru oil?  I have never seen it in stores out here.

Offline Redhand

• Marlen Murdock PM109458
« Reply #2740 on: May 10, 2016, 07:45:44 pm »
You can get it at sportsman warehouse Jeff. It is used on gun stocks.
Northern Ute

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #2741 on: May 10, 2016, 07:59:33 pm »
Jeff, if you have a bass pro or cabelas they will have it. I used to get mine from Walmart but can't find it there anymore. Like redhand said,  it's sold for finishing gunstocks.

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #2742 on: May 10, 2016, 09:57:22 pm »
Jeff do a test peice of that Purple Heart and your bow wood and try fuming it you might like the aged look

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #2743 on: May 11, 2016, 12:02:04 am »
that might be interesting.  But I bet it will just turn purpleheart brown.

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #2744 on: May 11, 2016, 06:17:33 am »
that might be interesting.  But I bet it will just turn purpleheart brown.

All depends on if it has tannin acids in it. My trade bow limb tips was exotic wood and it look the same after I FUMMED it