Author Topic: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information  (Read 693900 times)

Offline David Ewing

Re: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information
« Reply #3480 on: July 18, 2016, 09:00:22 pm »
What should I do with these two little pin knots?

"If you want me to agree with you, I can, but then we'd both be wrong"

David

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #3481 on: July 18, 2016, 09:06:56 pm »
David, I'd leave them be for now. You could just put a drop of superglue on them and then sand them out when you're ready to start finishing the back. The back is already sealed, correct?
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline ajooter

« Reply #3482 on: July 18, 2016, 09:10:32 pm »
I think the lower fade is a little thicker and with the limb being an inch and a half shorter it could probably be thinned down some.  A couple long even scrapes on the top limb can bring that one back a little more too.  Then a light tan and she'll be ready to put her dress back on!

Offline hammertime

• no shoes no shirt, no problems
« Reply #3483 on: July 18, 2016, 09:14:35 pm »
Yes just a little wood glue over that area...Ajooter I am a backwards south paw and that would be a great bow to add to my collection! as far as your tillering  I agree just a touch where your mark is and a touch just after the wrap but I think the bow is looking awesome- Hammertime

Offline David Ewing

« Reply #3484 on: July 18, 2016, 10:23:44 pm »
David, I'd leave them be for now. You could just put a drop of superglue on them and then sand them out when you're ready to start finishing the back. The back is already sealed, correct?
This on the stave I'm starting on, so no, the back isn't really "sealed" with any sort of finish yet.
"If you want me to agree with you, I can, but then we'd both be wrong"

David

Offline dylanholderman

« Reply #3485 on: July 18, 2016, 10:34:39 pm »
What should I do with these two little pin knots?

ignore them :o
so long as the're not on the edge they shouldn't matter. and with it being hop-hornbeam i really wouldn't worry.

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #3486 on: July 18, 2016, 10:53:13 pm »
I would seal the back and ends with shellac, poly, or something.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline dylanholderman

« Reply #3487 on: July 18, 2016, 11:35:33 pm »
I got the rough knocks glued on tonight, I should have it strung up and be back to tillering tomorrow.

Offline ty_in_ND

« Reply #3488 on: July 19, 2016, 12:41:01 am »
Well, the plan B bow is set.  Here's a YouTube video of me shooting it and panning over of the bow (unfortunately, I wasn't on camera... the cameraman was at work, and I guess I'm not so great at self-filming!).

https://youtu.be/iDg-EQGllDc

It ended up 66" ntn, 51# @ 29".  In addition to having hickory heartwood tips and overlay, I glued on an extension on the left side of the handle so it could have a shelf.  The back of the bow has a rattlesnake cloth on it (got it from 3rivers) and it has jute wrapped around the ends to hold it down.  The string is a 10 strand D97 with 16 strand string loops.  I threw on some beaver balls on the string as well.  It's sealed with 5 coats of tung oil and 1 coat of clear shellac.

But that's enough about that bow.  I really want to get a trilam done for my trade, so from here on out, I'll be posting about that endeavor.  I want to post pictures of where I'm at with that, but the phone hasn't uploaded the picture to the internet yet...  I will post them as soon as I see them (most likely tomorrow morning).  Anyway, the trilam I posted last ran into a snag.  The walnut core on the top limb cracked at the curve.  While it looks like it's solidly glued in place and it does have a tip wedge to make the tip static, I'm not going to send that bow out.  I'll work on it later to see if I can get it tillered out and report how that goes.

So... I have the materials for one more trilam attempt.  While I know Fred's extending the deadline a bit, I really want to try to get this thing ready and in the hands of my guy by no later than the beginning of August, so now that my evenings are free (had to play in a pit for Oklahoma), I'll be burning the midnight oil to get her ready.  So, here's where I stand now:  I have 2 pieces of osage that are 1/4" thick that I spliced together tonight, a piece of walnut that's 3/16" that I need to taper to 1/16" at the ends, and a piece of bamboo that's 1/8" thick and has the profile of the bow roughed out that I'll need to taper to 1/16" at the ends.  I will get this accomplished tomorrow evening.

As it's late now and I have an early day ahead of me tomorrow, I will wrap it up here.  I will explain more about how this bow will go after I get pictures uploaded!
"The best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing."

Offline cabinetbowguy

« Reply #3489 on: July 19, 2016, 07:47:06 am »
That tri lam your planing sounds awsome ! I will get a pic up of my taper jig in a few
Amen

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #3490 on: July 19, 2016, 07:49:41 am »
David. If the pin knots hasn't been violated. Which they shouldn't be since its iron wood and only the bark has been removed. I would do nothing to them. I've made plenty of bows with pin knots and as long as I didn't violate the rings around/on them I haven't had no problems at all.

Offline cabinetbowguy

« Reply #3491 on: July 19, 2016, 08:43:53 am »
Hers the jig i use for tapering power lams and core ... seen you talk about tapering just thought i would show my simple setup..
Amen

Offline ty_in_ND

« Reply #3492 on: July 19, 2016, 09:24:50 am »
OK, pics as promised!

Here's the recurce core fracture:

The lams as they stand now:

And the form I'll be using (if anyone here also looks at tradgang, it should look familiar  ;D)

I'm at work now, so I can't get into the details too much right now (maybe on a 15 min break), but I'll spell out pretty specifically what I plan to do so I can get advice along the way (with how few people to receive a bow, there's little point in going through the "it's x pounds at y draw length).
"The best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing."

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #3493 on: July 19, 2016, 09:45:14 am »
That combination sounds like it will make a gorgeous bow. What do you use to get the laminations flat?

Offline cabinetbowguy

« Reply #3494 on: July 19, 2016, 10:18:41 am »
Thats beautiful !
Amen