Author Topic: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information  (Read 693906 times)

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
Re: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information
« Reply #3540 on: July 21, 2016, 10:31:29 pm »
Sidmand, my suggestion to name the bow your sending  "Trubadour"
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline jandersson

« Reply #3541 on: July 21, 2016, 11:26:12 pm »
Fred:
Tried that and got a little of it out and that's where I am now. That kink is only on one side of the limb the other side is straight and I'm a little afraid of  forcing the wood and get stress fractures or something. Maybe I'm thinking about it wrong but by flattening the kink that side  is gonna be longer then the other side and that could maybe compress the kink side and stretch the  other and could that lead to problems? I don't know, I don't have much experience but my gut says no.

Offline Fred Arnold

« Reply #3542 on: July 21, 2016, 11:42:02 pm »
Well then I'd work the kink just like I'd work a handle and fades, save it til last but always keep it in consideration while you're looking at the tiller. A "little at a time" so that it never develops into a problem.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline ajooter

« Reply #3543 on: July 22, 2016, 05:51:38 am »
Whats are your thoughts on piking vs heat treating?...think i should heat treat first and then pike or vice versa?

Offline jandersson

« Reply #3544 on: July 22, 2016, 08:10:55 am »
Alright, I'm getting on it tonight again but should have some real progress on Sunday when I have a full day to work on it!

ajooter:
What's piking?

Offline ajooter

« Reply #3545 on: July 22, 2016, 08:25:23 am »
Piking is shortening the bow from either end.  That will in turn up the draw weight.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3546 on: July 22, 2016, 08:31:04 am »
Whats are your thoughts on piking vs heat treating?...think i should heat treat first and then pike or vice versa?

A proper heat temper should up your weight by at least 10#. I would leave the length alone until you see what tempering gives you. Looks like your top limb is still heavier and the bow looks tipped forward in your hand, but that's just a pic, I cant feel it from here :)
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #3547 on: July 22, 2016, 08:32:30 am »
Sanderson, it looks to me like that kink on the left is also hinging. Have a look at how it moves when you pull on it. Maybe someone else sees it differently

I think that "hump" in the left limb is making it look more like a hinge than it really is...but is stiff outside that spot.  The right looks a little stiff mid limb out too.
Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch

Offline DuBois

« Reply #3548 on: July 22, 2016, 12:42:39 pm »
Sanderson, it looks to me like that kink on the left is also hinging. Have a look at how it moves when you pull on it. Maybe someone else sees it differently

I think that "hump" in the left limb is making it look more like a hinge than it really is...but is stiff outside that spot.  The right looks a little stiff mid limb out too.
Exactly what I'm seein too.

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #3549 on: July 22, 2016, 01:05:02 pm »
Boxed up and heading to post office in about an hour. Is up to my poor victim to post anymore pics.
Steve Bennett

Offline Fred Arnold

« Reply #3550 on: July 22, 2016, 02:50:18 pm »
Here's an updated list on who I need to see progress reports and full draw pictures from before they will receive a bow:

jandersson,  Otter,  Ryan C,  Stuckinthemud,  Tower.

Here's the list of who may ship anytime:

ajooter,   DuBois, Dylan,  Sidmand,  

Here's the list of bows that are finished but with a hold on shipping until their recipients are ready:

Dakota Kid,  hammertime,   pincushion,  tattoo dave

Let me know if you have any questions.

List of bows already received by recipient:

Dakota Kid,  Drewster,  DuBois,  Gutshot,  halfeye,  Mo_coon-catcher,  Sidmand,  StixnStones  Swampman,  Turtle

We are working hand in hand with a few individuals and have extended the deadline in order to give them some more time to complete their project.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 01:15:55 am by Fred Arnold »

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #3551 on: July 22, 2016, 03:26:59 pm »
On its way. Expected delivery Monday. ;D
Steve Bennett

Offline kid bow

« Reply #3552 on: July 22, 2016, 03:52:48 pm »
mine will be out tomorrow
i need nothing but my old bow and arrows.

Offline PlanB

• SRHacksaw
« Reply #3553 on: July 22, 2016, 04:00:58 pm »
Congratulations Sidmand!!! :) Great feeling, isn't it Loope? :) :)
I love it when a plan B comes together....

Offline PlanB

• SRHacksaw
« Reply #3554 on: July 22, 2016, 04:02:57 pm »
Turtle, I'm sure there will be nothing poor about your recipient's enjoyment when that one arrives!
I love it when a plan B comes together....