Author Topic: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information  (Read 693915 times)

Offline ty_in_ND

Re: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information
« Reply #3720 on: July 27, 2016, 07:46:44 pm »
Ty...thats lookin sweet.  I love my ferriers rasp...but for flattening a limb my shinto is quite nice.
I have one of those, too.  ;D And I use it on limbs as well.  It was just a little lacking in the "taking lots of wood off of a big chunk" department!
"The best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing."

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #3721 on: July 27, 2016, 08:01:40 pm »
David how wide and thick is that limb at the area you thinned it down. It doesn't take a lot of iron wood to make a good strong bow

Offline David Ewing

« Reply #3722 on: July 27, 2016, 08:08:35 pm »
About 1 1/8", Gutshot.
"If you want me to agree with you, I can, but then we'd both be wrong"

David

Offline ajooter

« Reply #3723 on: July 27, 2016, 08:15:20 pm »
Nothing like a ferriers rasp for some angry wood removal!   >:D

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
« Reply #3724 on: July 27, 2016, 08:16:31 pm »
Ty, I live about 40 miles east of Rochester.  I end up in Rochester a lot for work meetings.  I always seem to end up at the place you are talking about after the meeting gets over. I can usually find something I need there. 

Mike

Offline ajooter

« Reply #3725 on: July 27, 2016, 08:35:13 pm »

Heres a low brace and a little tug....im tempted to flip the top tip a little.  There is definately a lot more string tension and the tip may bend further into the draw cycle.  It did do that originally.  I may stretch the draw out a little further and see if it stays stiff.  I will surely get my draw weight and hopefully a little added performance!  ;)

Offline PlanB

• SRHacksaw
« Reply #3726 on: July 27, 2016, 10:08:47 pm »
David, I might have a year old elm stave I could send you -- it would have some small knots and swirly grain -- not unusual for elm, but it's fairly forgiving stuff. Reflexed pretty good. Might be a challenge, but I think it would make a good bow. Or a black birch or red maple board for a board bow. Much easier to work with. I'd guess that the red maple would be the easiest. The black birch needs a pretty thinly tillered limb. The red maple would be thicker and easier to tiller. These would both be clear wood.
I love it when a plan B comes together....

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #3727 on: July 27, 2016, 10:26:48 pm »
I have a few good ash and hickory boards, but shipping 6' boards isn't exactly cheap. I just had a squirrel chew through a bunch of my van's wire harnesses, so any extra cash is kinda spoken for at the moment. I actually read online that honda's wire insulating material is soy based. Apparently, it actually tastes good to rodents. So much for eco-friendly being better for everyone. Now I have to kill all the squirrels and my van is broken. 

Stupid tree rats. At least those busy tails make good paint brushes.
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline David Ewing

« Reply #3728 on: July 27, 2016, 10:39:57 pm »
I have a few good ash and hickory boards, but shipping 6' boards isn't exactly cheap. I just had a squirrel chew through a bunch of my van's wire harnesses, so any extra cash is kinda spoken for at the moment. I actually read online that honda's wire insulating material is soy based. Apparently, it actually tastes good to rodents. So much for eco-friendly being better for everyone. Now I have to kill all the squirrels and my van is broken. 

Stupid tree rats. At least those busy tails make good paint brushes.
Funny you say that...

My dad's in pest control. A lady called about 2 weeks ago, saying that something was chewing the wiring in her car. She read the same thing. Hers was a lexus,  but I guess they use the same stuff. The Lexus maintenance shop put some sort of "rodent repellent" tape on all of the wires.

David

Offline David Ewing

« Reply #3729 on: July 27, 2016, 10:43:14 pm »
Plan B, I think I figured out what I'm going to do. If it ends up not working out, I may shoot you a PM.

Thanks.

David

Offline cabinetbowguy

« Reply #3730 on: July 27, 2016, 10:45:13 pm »
Took Turtles bow out for 30 mins of opportunistic bow fishing. This carp sure didn't like it   ;D 

Jason
Amen

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #3731 on: July 28, 2016, 12:18:20 am »
How thick David. 11/8 wide half way down the limb then taper it the last half to 1/2 tips should make a good bow if your 1/2 thick. Maybe 3/8. If the weight is under say 5-8 lbs then you can shorten the bow 1" on each limb to gain some weight back

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #3732 on: July 28, 2016, 05:09:34 am »
I'm glad your getting some use out of it.
Steve Bennett

Offline ajooter

« Reply #3733 on: July 28, 2016, 03:35:36 pm »
Thats awesome CBG that u have already drawn some blood with your trade bow.  I could shoot rabbits all day long in my backyard...but they are practically tame....they will literally let me mow the lawn around them!

I cant imagine how great it would be if my recipitant drew some blood with the stick im sending him!

Offline DuBois

« Reply #3734 on: July 28, 2016, 04:03:34 pm »
How thick David. 11/8 wide half way down the limb then taper it the last half to 1/2 tips should make a good bow if your 1/2 thick. Maybe 3/8. If the weight is under say 5-8 lbs then you can shorten the bow 1" on each limb to gain some weight back
1+
You may have enough still to pull it off. Just have to change the design some.

Poor fishie  >:D