Author Topic: Bows with all the bells and whistles (gifts for my friends)  (Read 37573 times)

Offline half eye

Re: Bows with all the bells and whistles (gifts for my friends)
« Reply #120 on: April 01, 2016, 09:55:48 am »
rest of the pics

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #121 on: April 01, 2016, 10:29:00 am »
Rich,
          Drooooling on my keys man...That is some stunning craftsmanship and the color of that Eastern Diamondback is beautiful...What a piece of work buddy...You laid those skins down over that sinew super tight! Wow! :o
                             Don

Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline half eye

« Reply #122 on: April 01, 2016, 10:34:04 am »
Glad you like it sir....it might get to be a bow one of these days.
rich

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #123 on: April 01, 2016, 10:43:16 am »
Wow! Wow! Wow! Have I said Wow yet enough? Rich those skins look awesome! I don't know Don but I bet that man is smiling from ear 2 ear. I really like the groves you put in the side of the bow. Do those wrap around the belly and up on the other side too?

Don your a LUCKY man and I'm sure a great friend to Rich as well.

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #124 on: April 01, 2016, 10:49:34 am »
  Yea Gut, I am one lucky guy...Rich's friendship and mentoring over the years has been priceless...He has been an inspiration and has a lot of influence in my love for primitive archery...
                                                                                                                                                 Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline half eye

« Reply #125 on: April 01, 2016, 11:04:41 am »
Mr. Gutshot, the incised carving is only on the scalloped edge.....that is the way the original is. The back and other side of the bow are smooth. Dont know if you noticed or not but the Iroquois nations shot off the smooth side of the bow....but the Algonquian tribes shot from the scalloped side  go figure.

Offline Ranasp

« Reply #126 on: April 01, 2016, 11:54:32 am »
Wait, did you say you did all of that AFTER having major dentistry done on you?  You're a bowmakin' fool, you know that?  ;)

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #127 on: April 01, 2016, 12:26:37 pm »
Mr. Gutshot, the incised carving is only on the scalloped edge.....that is the way the original is. The back and other side of the bow are smooth. Dont know if you noticed or not but the Iroquois nations shot off the smooth side of the bow....but the Algonquian tribes shot from the scalloped side  go figure.
[/quote

Them Indians they just grab a bow and shoot a buffalo. They probably didn't care which way they held or shot a bow. Since they didn't have a Walmart to go and get food. I would go out on a limb and say it didn't matter how they held it they where masters of shooting them fast and accurate. And all we do is try to be like them. By making these wooden bows and trying to shoot them as correctly as we can. Man it's the most addictive thing I've ever done. You know you got the fever when all you think about is trying to build a bow better then the last one. Or in your case build replicas of all the tribes bows. Which I am really taking a liking too. Keep it up.

Offline Jodocus

« Reply #128 on: April 01, 2016, 03:32:53 pm »
Great bow and great quiver, really really nice. And great thread, thank you!
Don't shoot!

Offline half eye

« Reply #129 on: April 01, 2016, 08:25:51 pm »
Thank you for the nice comments folks. When these 2 get done there is one more got to go down to Kentucky.

Thought I would show what I have tried for a grip. It is the rattles of this snake and 5" of skin still attached, so as I wrapped the wet rawhide I wove in the skin so the rattles hang just below the bow hand. I thought that if I put it down (or up) by the tip it would be catching on brush or other thick cover so tried this idea just for looks.....still debating weather or not I like it. Here's the pics so far.
rich

Offline Emmet

« Reply #130 on: April 01, 2016, 08:39:58 pm »
I think it looks real sharp!
I can't imagine someone  dragging that bow through brush.

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #131 on: April 01, 2016, 08:51:00 pm »
Rich,
           We need a like button here! I will cradle it through the brush  ;)
                                                                                                             Don

P.S. Looks like some real lethal medicine bud... 8) 8) 8)

Offline half eye

« Reply #132 on: April 01, 2016, 09:00:30 pm »
Emmet, I sure as hell hope it gets dragged through the brush....cause thats where the deer are 8)

Mr. Burchett,  I'm still not sure because this rawhide isn't coming out opaque white, it is staying natural and semi-transparent.....the finishing touches will be the mud, the blood, and the fat & hair !!!

Thanks again for the wonderful responses.
rich

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #133 on: April 01, 2016, 09:07:33 pm »
Rich I like that grip.  real good thinking there.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 11:19:09 pm by Gutshot »

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
« Reply #134 on: April 01, 2016, 09:10:00 pm »
Rich, outstanding work.  I like the rattles.