Author Topic: Look what My Neighbor gave me  (Read 14280 times)

PK

Re: Look what My Neighbor gave me
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2008, 11:16:19 pm »
OK How long do ya think it will take me to mount them on the wall?

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2008, 11:34:55 pm »
  PK, as long as it takes you to mount them ;D.  The ones I saw were made for tourist also, but were old.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Rich Saffold

« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2008, 12:34:50 am »
PK, it looked like black palm from the original photos and then you put in the back shots after I had posted...Dark bamboos and black palm can look similar on a blurry shot ;D

Have you tried drawing it any?

Rich

Offline Ken S

« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2008, 01:13:40 am »
I'm with Dana its a wall hanger for sure.

PK

« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2008, 02:44:14 am »
PK, it looked like black palm from the original photos and then you put in the back shots after I had posted...Dark bamboos and black palm can look similar on a blurry shot ;D

Have you tried drawing it any?

Rich
It shoots but not a long draw.

PK

« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2008, 02:45:26 am »
I had to use my canvas for something! ;D Its Mounted with leather lace is case I make a glass case, I can remove it.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: February 27, 2008, 02:28:00 pm by PK »

Offline wolfsire

« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2008, 03:31:54 am »
You are so lucky.  Now I gotta try makeing a boo sting nodes and all.
Steve in LV, NV

Offline kayakfisher

« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2008, 09:14:18 pm »
Had some friends that were missionary's to the Philippines they brought back a bow and some arrows they looked completely different then the one you have also in the jungle your really are not shooting long distance's
The river of life twist and bends, you never know whats around the next bend till your there

Springfield Mo home of  Kids,Tomato's and Tornado's

PK

« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2008, 12:41:11 am »
the arrows i have are roughly 5' long :o

PK- do your points slide out of the arrows too?
No.PK :)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2008, 05:05:32 am by PK »

Offline wolfsire

« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2008, 09:57:07 pm »
It looks like the inside of the boo is the belly.  IIRC, Tim Baker said it should be the other way around.  Yet I read a recent post about how the soft inside can make some scary, but probably harmless noises, as a non-working back.  I wonder if it really makes a difference, or one that is negligible.  I dont recall, but Tim's reason might have been that wood (perhaps even boo) is generally weaker in compressive strength.  But if the inside is essentially useless, what difference would it make, the outside of the boo does both the compressive and tensile work.  Of couse the cure and node could make a difference.  It might also be possible that the inside is useless for tension, demonstrated by the scary noises, but add a marginal compressive benefit.
Steve in LV, NV

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #40 on: February 29, 2008, 08:04:25 pm »
Pk, I'll go by Dr. Greysons collection Monday and see what I can find out....Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

PK

« Reply #41 on: March 03, 2008, 02:27:55 am »
I got an E-mail from DR Grayson informing me about the bow and arrows Here it is:
DearPhilip . The photos are excellent . They show that the nock ends are just flat with no wrapping as is present in some of the South Pacific arrows. Most of thwe bows and arrows of New Guinea were brought back by the GIs and came from the costal area near the Sepic River. The points are well carved but not painted. The bone point is really a bird's beak
    Now there is a bird of interest in the upper reaches of the Sepic River that is a hornbill with solid large upper beak .It is the only one  of some 60 species of  Hornbills mostly in So. Pac. and  Africa . The Chinese used to go there for the "ivory" . I have a very  rare Chinese archers ring and a two piece belt buckle made of it.They are probably 150 to 200 years old .The bird is now protected so far as I know..

So, your bow and arrows are probably from New Guinea coastal area brought back by a US GI . I have a set almost identical with bamboo string even with same kind of knot on the bow made while the bamboo was still green and pliable.
    Charles E. Grayson.