Author Topic: Hickory backed lemonwood ALB build along...now boo backed...now w/ osage belly  (Read 31757 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Hickory backed lemonwood ALB build along...the start!
« Reply #60 on: January 09, 2018, 06:47:55 am »
It's called a Stave Master, made by Keenan Howard of Bend Oregon. Pappy has one too.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline redhillwoods

« Reply #61 on: January 09, 2018, 08:05:43 am »
I'm new to this forum and I've never experienced a build-along before. I'm loving it. Thanx for doing this Pat B.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #62 on: January 09, 2018, 08:40:51 am »
Looks like it’s gonna be a classic, Pat.  Very fun!
1’—>1’

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #63 on: January 09, 2018, 09:44:16 am »
RedHill, welcome to PA and welcome to the world of build alongs.
Thanks Steve. It sure will be a classic design.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #64 on: January 09, 2018, 10:02:16 am »
Pat your lemonwood is very yellow compared to mine. I think the stuff I got from Kyle (Ksnow) is very old stock, pre-embargo I'd bet. Perhaps that's why its mostly a brown color?

Good build along my friend.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline PatM

« Reply #65 on: January 09, 2018, 10:12:14 am »
I've seen old references to " Brown"  Lemonwood.  Pretty sure the reference said it came from somewhere other than Cuba.  It's interesting that Lemonwood bows died out with the embargo even through the species grows in multiple other locations.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #66 on: January 09, 2018, 10:54:56 am »
Both pieces of lemonwood I've used have been this yellow color. I think these are pre-embargo but like PatM said, it's probably the location rather than age.
 I like the way this stuff works. It has a nice feel under a rasp and scraper but it seems a bit brittle.
I did a little more work today. After looking at the pics I can see I need to get the bend a little more even...

This is my glue up form set-up. The 2x4 blocks on the ends are 3 1/4" where the tips rest and the handle area drops 2" to the surface of the base. This gives only a little reflex but for this style bow it's plenty. It should come out about flat.

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #67 on: January 09, 2018, 08:39:10 pm »
Cool way to glue in the reflex. Seems like it would result in a nice natural bend.
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #68 on: January 09, 2018, 10:16:21 pm »
That's my plan, upstate. Lets see how it works out.
 The bow is still pretty stiff, even without the backing so I'll do a little more wood removal and get the bend better.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #69 on: January 12, 2018, 12:22:29 pm »
I got her glued up today and she's resting comfortably is a 100+ deg hot box for the next few house.
 Here are a few pics of the process. The first thing to do is be sure you have everything close at hand and ready when needed...

Just before glue up I sanded smooth both gluing surfaces. then brushed both areas well with a clean, stiff brush to remove the saw dust...

this is something I've always done. I think I got the idea from Bingham's when I attempted a glass bow(I don't want to talk about it). This gives a fresh, clean glue surface...
 Then comes the glue up. I didn't get pics of this because I was wearing rubber gloves and didn't want to get glue on the camera. I buttered both glue surfaces, put in the alignment pins(2 at the handle and one at each tip). I then put both parts together with the pins in their holes in the backing strip.
You can see the pins at the handle with glue on them...

I then wrapped each limb with the split inner tube...

then laid the glue up on the form...

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #70 on: January 12, 2018, 12:35:04 pm »
Then I clamped the handle area down to the form drawing it into reflex...

and added small clamps at each tip. I looked over the glue up to be sure I had a good glue ooze around the whole bow. There was one spot that looked a bit ooseless so I added a clamp and it oozed.
Now it's time to go in the hot box. I had preheated the box for about an hour. The box was between 100deg and 120deg(funky thermometers), made sure I had blocks to set it on...

...and set her in. I'm using 2, 100w bulbs for my heat source...

...I like to place pieces of aluminum foil over the bow where the light bulbs are to help prevent hot spots....

...and closed the box. I'll give her a few hours to cook turn off the lights and let her cool slowly. When I open her back up I'll be there with the camera and will continue on with the clean up. Back later.

Offline ksnow

« Reply #71 on: January 12, 2018, 12:45:05 pm »
Pearly, and others,
The pieces from me are pre-embargo.  A few of the other pieces had "Product of Cuba" and $1.49" stamped on them. I'm following also for a future build.

Kyle

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Hickory backed lemonwood ALB build along...continues
« Reply #72 on: January 13, 2018, 01:06:48 pm »
I got her out of the hot box. She is holding about 1 1/4" of reflex just off the form...

Then it was time to clean her up. I sanded the sides flat removing the excess glue....

After getting the sides cleaned up I used my scraper to remove the sharp corners from the back...

...then used some 150 sand paper to smooth out the corners...

...after doing all of this here she is showing the reflex...

I think these are the best glue lines I've ever gotten on a backed bow...

More to come soon...

Offline PatM

« Reply #73 on: January 13, 2018, 03:01:28 pm »
I have a bad gut feeling about that back. Hope I'm wrong and that it is deliberate staining.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #74 on: January 13, 2018, 04:28:58 pm »
Pat, I'm sure it is deliberate staining. It looks man made close up.