Author Topic: Hickory backed lemonwood ALB build along...now boo backed...now w/ osage belly  (Read 31605 times)

Offline PatM

Re: Hickory backed lemonwood ALB build along...continues
« Reply #75 on: January 13, 2018, 04:38:51 pm »
That's more encouraging. I've seen mildew create some pretty interesting color and pattern.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #76 on: January 13, 2018, 06:07:49 pm »
I'm worried more about dryness. It's been real cold and dry here and we heat our house with a wood stove so the R/H is low.  I still have lots of wood to remove before even a long string so I can get some work done without stressing it.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #77 on: January 14, 2018, 08:00:37 am »
Leave pots of water on the wood stove Pat, might help the humidity. I have three humidifiers going and it's 38% this morning still.

Bow is looking good. Good glue lines make a fella feel alright!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline txdm

« Reply #78 on: January 14, 2018, 09:38:30 am »
Pat B, I've been thinking on the pegs you used to secure the position of the lams. What a great idea!

For my upcoming first glue up, I'm considering using screws for the same purpose, but only on the parts of the handle that will be cut away later.

I'm really enjoying this build-along!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #79 on: January 14, 2018, 11:43:14 am »
Pearlie, we go through a gallon of water from a pot on the stove each day. We probably need a humidifier too.
txdm, Pearl Drums gave me the idea of using the dowels as alignment pins. I like using dowels or bamboo skewers because they stay in the bow after glue up. I just cut them flush and sand smooth. A screw you would have to remove and that would leave a hole, not that it would matter much in the non working areas.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #80 on: January 14, 2018, 01:07:02 pm »
I did a little wood removal this morning but didn't take any pics. I started off by drawing a line down both sides of both limbs at 5/8" from the back and removed wood to that line. I then checked the bend floor tillering. It hardly bent so I scribed another line 1/2" down from the back, removed the wood and checked. Voila! it bends...but still way too stiff. I may end up having to thin the backing and/or narrowing the bow but that's a decision for later.

Offline txdm

« Reply #81 on: January 14, 2018, 06:14:32 pm »
I like using dowels or bamboo skewers because they stay in the bow after glue up.

Just checked and I have an abundance of bamboo skewers that are 1/8"... I'll use those.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #82 on: January 14, 2018, 09:57:55 pm »
That's what I use or hardwood dowels. The skewers work just fine.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #83 on: January 22, 2018, 01:47:29 pm »
I did a little more today. First, after removing wood from the belly the backing was gonna be too thick so I sanded it down a little. I just got a new 40 grit belt for my sander and was worried it might take too much off but gingerly I ran the back over the sander with 6 or 8 light pulls on each limb and got it down some. Unfortunately the dyed design on the back was removed. I can easily replace that or come up with some other decoration but I'll worry about that later.
Here is the backing thickness before the sanding...

...and after sanding and rounding off the edges. Not much difference but if necessary I'll do it again.

After that I sanded the backing and corners smooth I cut in the string nocks. Usually I'll come down 3/4" on the back and 1" on the belly side. This gives me about a 45deg angle. This time I went 1" on the back and 1 1/4" on the belly because the ends were uneven.

These are temporary nocks anyway just for tillering and will be removed when I narrow the tips. I like the tips to be wider to start with. Once I go to low brace and see how the string tracks I'll shape the tips close to finish size and add overlays.
 Then it her first trip to the tiller tree. I exercised the limbs then took a look just to see if things are relatively even. they seemed to be OK...

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #84 on: January 22, 2018, 03:47:26 pm »
Alright! You've got 'er on the tiller! Gotta be a good feeling.  :)
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #85 on: January 28, 2018, 01:27:23 pm »
Today I did about 80 scrapes on the belly and 5 passes on the backing of each limb with the new 40 grit belt sander to thin the backing a bit more. Not enough difference except she's bending better. No new pics.
 I decided to reduce the length from the 71" where she is now to 68" which will be better for my 26" draw. I made a string for her and am pre-stretching the string on the bow now. Shouldn't be long before she's ready for first low brace.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #86 on: January 31, 2018, 12:49:16 pm »
Got a little more done today. I cut 1 1/2" off each limb tip so instead of 71"t/t she is now 68"t/t, more appropriate for my 26" draw. Here is a pic of her on on the tiller tree showing the reflex...

...and with a little tension...

here she is clamped in the vise with one limb bending...

..and just when everything is going well and you feel you're getting ahead, the fraging gremlins come out...

...gotta love the life of a wood bow builder. I haven't examined it closely but it looks like the hickory broke over a small portion of the back or corner. As I was exercising her and getting ready to check the bend I heard that dreaded "tick" and before I could let off the tension to inspect I heard the crack.
 After I get over the shock I'll see if there is a remedy. Til then......... >:(   ...I guess I'll stew a little.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2018, 12:58:08 pm by Pat B »

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #87 on: January 31, 2018, 01:12:34 pm »
That appears to be goo grain to. That just sucks, but it wont be the last time. Maybe boo back it and call it a tri lam.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline txdm

« Reply #88 on: January 31, 2018, 01:21:01 pm »
All the setup steps you did for the backing/lam are still priceless knowledge that I'm grateful to have access to.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #89 on: January 31, 2018, 01:24:53 pm »
Sucks, don't it Pearlie.  I'll let her rest a few days and try to figure out my options.
 Had I used TBIII I could just heat and remove the backing but with this Weldwood Plastic Resin I think I'll have to grind the backing off...and that will really suck.  Oh well, life goes on!
Thanks txdm. This will continue one way or another and will be more knowledge to pass on.