Author Topic: a' no wa ra  (Read 12523 times)

Offline burchett.donald

Re: a' no wa ra
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2018, 10:43:18 am »
Taxus brevifloia,
                          Thanks man.... I have limited experience with the pieces I have worked...Your in the right place to learn about OS though...There's been quite a few posted...Good luck on drying your find...
                                                                                                                   Don

Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline redhillwoods

« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2018, 11:06:05 am »
Very impressive work sir

Offline Bayou Ben

« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2018, 11:19:03 am »
Very impressive work.  I think the full draw and unbraced profile of that short a bow speak for themselves.  Excellent use of all natural materials.

I really like that 2 ply whitetail rawhide string.  That's a work of art in itself.  Maybe half eye can comment on the process behind it's construction?

Offline hunterbob

« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2018, 11:20:38 am »
Looks great. Perfect tiller . I really like your short bows.

Offline Greg DeJanes

« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2018, 01:20:21 pm »
A rare beauty for sure !

Greg

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2018, 01:59:37 pm »
Awesome work Don! 
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2018, 04:12:10 pm »
   redhillbows, thank you sir...I like the one you posted up recently also...

Bayou Ben, thank you...It would be interesting for Rich to comment on his process, they are really nice...Probably the quietest string I have shot to date...

hunterbob, great to hear from my Ohio buddy, thanks man...

Greg DeJanes, Thank you !

Howard, allready seeing this one laying across my lap and Summer's not here yet, thanks buddy...

Thanks for all the fine comments guy's, means a lot hearing from you...
                                                                                                                                       Don

Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Morgan

« Reply #37 on: May 09, 2018, 04:53:18 pm »
Very very nice.

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2018, 05:35:30 am »
That's a fine looking bow, well done

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2018, 06:09:26 am »
Love the picture of the raw materials Don. That turtle leg sure was clean. Just curious how many times do you have to string a bow with rawhide string before it stops stretching? I would imagine a bunch but I've never used it. I get frustrated with B-55
Once again very nice work
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline M2A

« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2018, 06:11:54 am »
Great lookin bow!

Offline Webbbowhunter

« Reply #41 on: May 10, 2018, 08:49:59 am »
Beautiful bow! 

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #42 on: May 10, 2018, 09:27:03 am »
   Morgan, thank you...

Aaron, thank you for the compliment sir...

Bj, glad you enjoyed the pictures...Rawhide certainly stretches especially a new string...At first brace I can actually see the brace move and feel it close up on my step through method of stringing...I then tie again and again until it stabilizes enough to shoot...After the first shot this sequence takes over again, tie again until the brace stabilizes...This has to be constantly monitored during shooting sessions and is what keeps it interesting and fun...Rawhide is the quietest string I have shot probably attributed to it's stretch and flexability...It is pretty durable also...I have seen many museum bows and pictures with 2 ply rawhide strings and can see how the NA fed their families when used...Thank you for your interest and maybe Rich will comment on the construction...

M2A thank you

Webbbowhunter, thank you and welcome to PA...
                                                                                                                                     Don

« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 09:32:40 am by burchett.donald »

Offline ohma2

« Reply #43 on: May 10, 2018, 01:25:03 pm »
Just great , a true primitive and who better than half eye to inspire a bow like that.

Offline KHalverson

« Reply #44 on: May 10, 2018, 08:23:46 pm »
don
that bow is a looker for sure.