Author Topic: Life on the Farm  (Read 122729 times)

Offline YosemiteBen

Re: Life on the Farm
« Reply #1065 on: February 14, 2024, 12:28:58 am »
Hey, Hey BJ! Sharing is caring! I did upcycle a fresh roadkill this year. Tonight is venison stoop. But, sausage sounds good!

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #1066 on: February 15, 2024, 01:15:58 pm »
Yes it’s a symbiotic relationship Ben. I like it.

I spread clover cover crop seed on some wheat ground earlier this week. Went really good. We use our Gator and we can put our GPS system in it. It doesn’t steer but it tells us where to steer and make a coverage map showing where we already spread. Also counts acres which is very nice for calculating seeds per acre. We try for about 9 lbs of seed per acre. We can adjust the opening of the holes and or the mph we drive to get on the correct rate.

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #1067 on: February 15, 2024, 01:41:57 pm »
Yesterday the ground froze up good enough to drive tractor and manure spreader on again.

I helped my son sort out a load of fat cattle to go to the sale barn. He stayed at the sale and tried to buy some feeders to bring back home. He got four but they were very expensive. it was a long day for him.

Bjrogg

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #1068 on: February 15, 2024, 01:45:51 pm »
While he was gone I spread some off his manure storage pile. He really appreciated that as it was getting full and you only have so many opportunities to spread this time of year. I didn’t get it empty but I put a pretty good dent in it.

Bjrogg

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #1069 on: February 16, 2024, 12:20:22 pm »
My summer sausage has been aging in my fridge for about a week. I did some rearranging in my freezers and had enough room to vacuum pack it and deep freeze it.

I cut two of the big sticks into thirds.

Then I put 2 thirds in one vacuum bag. Makes good use of the vacuum bags and about the right amount to get out of freezer at a time.

Stack nice to.

Have our big freezer in basement packed full to

Should be in good shape until next year. Want to make some pork breakfast sausage yet but I need some more freezer space first.

Bjrogg

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #1070 on: February 16, 2024, 04:50:15 pm »
I picked up a piece of Osage I set aside years ago.

Finished tillering it out to 50 lbs @ 28”

Bjrogg

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #1071 on: February 18, 2024, 07:30:19 pm »
Bow looks good as dose the summer sausage , ;) you been busy.
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline chamookman

« Reply #1072 on: February 19, 2024, 04:21:11 am »
Great lookin' Bow !  (=) Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #1073 on: February 19, 2024, 09:29:53 am »
Thanks Pappy and Bob.

I had a pair of roadkill garner snake skins that I decided to put on the HHB bow

I got them glued on, trimmed and the scales rubbed off yesterday. I think it’s going to look really nice when I get the finish applied

Have doctors appointments today. Probably let the bow dry really good before I apply finish

Bjrogg
« Last Edit: February 19, 2024, 09:59:15 am by bjrogg »

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #1074 on: February 20, 2024, 09:50:35 am »
That looks nice, love snake skins on a bow, didn't know yall had any that big up there  ??? :) Been going to MI. for 20+ years and have only seen 1 snake and it was a very small one in the wood pile in camp. ???
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #1075 on: February 20, 2024, 02:02:53 pm »
Yes we have a few species of them here. Even a Rattlesnake. Which is protected. Not very big either. I’ve never seen one but have been told they can be found less than Twenty miles from me. They aren’t very big. Maybe three feet long and 1” diameter.

We have milk snakes, garners and green snakes too.

Mostly I see garners which are good snakes. I don’t kill them. It does seem like one week of the year that they are wandering. I’m guessing mating but I’m not a snake expert. I just know I see them slithering towards the road ditch while driving my tractor down the road. If I find a roadkill I pick it up.

Bjrogg
They have a nice pattern all around though and I like the small scales. I think smaller snakes look nicer on a bow than big ones.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #1076 on: February 20, 2024, 03:37:44 pm »
Here’s another roadkill I picked up.

Only one I’ve seen but my brother said he saw one in the same area this roadkill was found years earlier.

I think it an eastern milk snake if I remember correctly.

Very pretty pattern. Got a couple set of eyes looking for another one.

Bjrogg

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #1077 on: February 20, 2024, 03:39:03 pm »
Another picture

Offline chamookman

« Reply #1078 on: February 21, 2024, 04:45:52 am »
Nice ! A friend of Mine that lived in Fenton, used to get Lots of the Masaugua (sp) Rattlers every Year. We took one up to Larry that owned the Marina in Harbor Beach.  (=) Bob.
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #1079 on: February 26, 2024, 08:23:05 am »
Thanks Bob. I’ve been told there’s a tree in swap that always has a bunch of them in it. I’ve never seen one myself.

Last week I spent two days going to doctors appointments and three days going to meetings.

Doctors appointments went pretty good

Meetings were ok. Learned a few new things. Alway interesting visiting with other farmers and comparing how they operate.

One of the meetings was put on by Star of the West. They recently purchased an aerial drone. It is capable of seeding cover crops in standing crops without damaging them. It also is can spray them.

They had it displayed. It was pretty interesting and everyone had to check out the new toy.

I do think there is a place for them and I suspect there will be more capabilities for them in the future.

Lord knows they are sure using them in Ukraine.

Bjrogg