Author Topic: Life on the Farm  (Read 123476 times)

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: Life on the Farm
« Reply #795 on: July 16, 2023, 07:54:13 am »
When I left the park to go home I took a little crop tour to see where it rained and where it didn’t. The field I was trying to spray looked pretty wet. As I drove south the rain was obviously less. By the time I got home, which is only 4 miles from the park I could see it hardly rained there.

Had less than a tenth at home and I’m sure it was well over an inch at the park.

Did a little pulling weeds in my garden then went to church

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #796 on: July 16, 2023, 08:45:18 am »
Looks like the smoke is back.
Bjrogg

Offline M2A

« Reply #797 on: July 16, 2023, 10:11:24 am »
Been following along best I can BJ. Just amazing to me how flat and vast things are out west. Looks like your melons are off to a good start in your garden. Had a bad storm come through the other night and drop a small amount of hail. A few marks on the fruit in the new orchard but think things will be fine. I did have to put something on that block, for fire blight, the next morning just to be safe. Beyond that apples had a lighter fruit set this year but should have great quality and size. So pretty good over all. Got my 30 lbs of blueberries in the freezer so should be good for the year with them. The guys been picking cuks, zuks, corn, blueberries and just strated with the peppers. Toms still 2 weeks out. only about 5 weeks for ginergold and the early honeycrisp in the orchards. My how time flies.  So far so good. Smoke was bad here 2 weeks ago for a few days but have not seen any since. 
Mike         

Offline chamookman

« Reply #798 on: July 17, 2023, 04:13:44 am »
The Smoke was real bad here yesterday, could smell it in the House when I got up! No rain here - was lucky. Got enough the last storm. Did manage to reduce the Groundhog population with the .17HMR tho - Coyote/Buzzard food  ;D! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #799 on: July 17, 2023, 01:04:02 pm »
Hope you have a safe and prosperous harvest Mike.

We had one good rain everyone had around here and the rest have been spotty. Some people have to much and others don’t have enough.

Some really bad hail damage to the south about 40miles.

We are still okay. Actually really good, but I would really like to get our very perishable wheat crop harvested in good shape.

Bjrogg

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #800 on: July 17, 2023, 01:06:01 pm »
The Smoke was real bad here yesterday, could smell it in the House when I got up! No rain here - was lucky. Got enough the last storm. Did manage to reduce the Groundhog population with the .17HMR tho - Coyote/Buzzard food  ;D! Bob

If you want to come over here and hunt groundhogs you are more than welcome. They are terrible this year.

Bjrogg

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #801 on: July 17, 2023, 01:18:11 pm »
I really love this time of year.

Our growing season isn’t as long and our crops get off to a latter start. We make up for it this time of year. Our days get long. Our crops take advantage of the extra hours of sunlight. You can almost watch them grow.

It’s a little too wet in the pinto bean fields yet, but I really hope I can get in them tomorrow. They are loaded with blossoms and even have some that have already pollinated and are growing pin beans. That means the white mold virus could have already gotten into the plant. The very worst time for it to enter the plant is early in blooming stage. The temperature has been cool and it has been damp. Idea conditions for pollination and white mold. It doesn’t like temperature above 85 but it isn’t predicted to get anywhere near that here by the lake.

Pinto bean blossoms

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #802 on: July 17, 2023, 01:19:08 pm »
Almost have the 30” rows filled already.

Bjrogg

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #803 on: July 17, 2023, 01:20:28 pm »
Blossom that has pollinated and “pin bean” growing from it.

Bjrogg

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #804 on: July 18, 2023, 10:36:13 pm »
We got started at wheat today. Wasn’t a really good combine day. Spotty showers passing through. Wind off the lake, but we did get about 60 acres ground through.

Bjrogg

Offline chamookman

« Reply #805 on: July 19, 2023, 02:51:58 am »
Wow - that's alot of Buttons to be running  (A)! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #806 on: July 19, 2023, 07:16:12 am »
Ya looks like a space ship, nothing like my old 30/20 John Deer or my IH 140 :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #807 on: July 20, 2023, 10:49:55 am »
Never buy a tractor that's smarter than you are.
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #808 on: July 21, 2023, 06:10:31 am »
Yes lots of adjustments, settings and controls on a combine.

I’m not sure if I can, but I try to stay smart enough to keep up with our combine, sprayer and tractors.

The combine I was running yesterday had a brain fart.

It suddenly got confused and started throwing trouble codes. Derarated engine to idle.

It’s brain froze and I had to unplug all the connections to it and leave them unplugged for two minutes. After a two minute nap I plugged it back in and everything worked. Wasted about 45 minutes of the best harvesting conditions we’ve had yet, but at least it worked.

About 45 minutes later we had a little shower pass thru. The sun shined and the wind blew after so I’m hoping our wheat is still good quality.

All our trucks are full now. Elevators are full of wet wheat and lines are very long. Got up at 4:30 to take trucks out.

Hopefully we can have a big day today. Probably going to be hard to get trucks empty through.

Bjrogg

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #809 on: July 24, 2023, 07:23:41 am »
Ya got to love electronics , just turn it off or unplug and give it time to think and it sometimes fixes itself  :-\ I liked it much better when things went wrong you could figure out the problem , repair it and it was done until something else happened. I guess the new stuff is good to a point but it seems I am always on edge that some kind of light is going to come on and their is no way on the road for me to fix it, My truck use to do that on just about ever long trip I would take, after the warranty went out I took all that stuff of and deleted it, now for 2 years , no problems. ;)
Can't go to CA. in it but don't plan to go there anyway  ;) :) :) :) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good