Author Topic: Life on the Farm  (Read 122694 times)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Life on the Farm
« Reply #870 on: August 13, 2023, 06:59:36 pm »
Good looking set up, should do some good there, I love rainbows Genesis 9:13 gives me hope and a warm feeling every time I see one. ;) We have had several bad storms here the last few days, just some wind and rain but no hail, strange weather for July and August, usually they are hot and dry.  :-\ The tree graft is looking good to my eyes, never done one but I would say you got it.
 Pappy

Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #871 on: August 14, 2023, 04:01:28 pm »
Thanks Pappy. I’m hoping this might be a good year for me hunting. I usually see a lot of deer when I have soybeans on the headlands and wedge rows, with sugar beets in the big parts of the field.

As long as I see stuff I’m usually happy. If I get a shot all the better.

The grafts I find very interesting. I have never done them before, but I know people who have. I cut down six thorn apple trees and grafted twigs from a tree I really like by my dads. I grafted two twigs in each of the six stumps.

Four of the stumps have growing live twigs on them now. All in spots I’d love to have a good apple tree to hunt over.  Be interesting what next year brings. I trimmed the new thorn apple branches off them now. Hopefully that doesn’t hurt them.

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #872 on: August 14, 2023, 04:03:56 pm »
It looks like the pintos have white mold but the protectant is helping to keep it from spreading like wildfire. Still hoping this field does well. It sure looks like it has potential. Still have to get them through the combine.

Bjrogg

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #873 on: August 14, 2023, 04:04:32 pm »
Pintos

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #874 on: August 14, 2023, 04:06:48 pm »
My son is on a much deserved vacation. I’m feeding his cattle, spreading some manure and keeping an eye on everything.

The cattle are looking very comfortable and we’re happy to see me.

Bjrogg

Offline chamookman

« Reply #875 on: August 15, 2023, 03:28:20 am »
Ah yes, the "Honey" Wagon  ;) - that takes Me back! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #876 on: August 15, 2023, 12:58:50 pm »
Yup they were happy to see me again Bob.

I couldn’t keep up eating the greens. I spent most of Sunday and a couple hours last night and I got my water melon patch looking good again.

Found my first melons. Musk and water. I love watching them grow. They can grow expressively fast.

Bjrogg

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #877 on: August 15, 2023, 06:35:20 pm »
Nice looking melon patch, BJ!  We grew a watermelon here in Wyoming once.  My friends were impressed.  Last year we got a couple to ripen.  They were about the size of tennis balls, and there was about a tablespoon of red in each one.   ;D  Something tells me the climate here isn't quite right for them.
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #878 on: August 15, 2023, 07:27:16 pm »
Went back to work on a couple hunt spots. Saw this guy a couple times now. He doesn’t seem too concerned about me so far.

A little four point I think

Bjrogg

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #879 on: August 15, 2023, 07:39:56 pm »
Nice looking melon patch, BJ!  We grew a watermelon here in Wyoming once.  My friends were impressed.  Last year we got a couple to ripen.  They were about the size of tennis balls, and there was about a tablespoon of red in each one.   ;D  Something tells me the climate here isn't quite right for them.

They do seem to like hotter weather than we get. I just like goofing around with them. I’ve actually had the best luck with just using the seeds from the big melons we get at the grocery store. The first time I successfully grew them it was by accident. My wife threw watermelon scraps in the garden. They came up by themselves. I didn’t even know what they were. They were loaded with blossoms. Then they got two tiny melons that grew really fast. They got about the size of the ones from the store. I didn’t know how to tell if they were rip so I just let them there for a long time. Then one evening I decided to pick one. It was very good. Picked the other one the next day. Then the plant got six more melons. It didn’t even put out any more blossoms. Those got close enough to rip that we ate them but they weren’t as good as the riper ones.

Bjrogg

PS nice fish they look tasty. I wanted to reply to your post but my phone won’t let me.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #880 on: August 17, 2023, 07:10:45 am »
My kind of deer BJ.  ;) :) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #881 on: August 17, 2023, 11:04:58 am »
My kind of deer BJ.  ;) :) :)
 Pappy

My thoughts exactly Pappy.

Nice amount of tender crops feed venison. And dumb as a box of rocks.lol. Funny how quick they get smart though

Bjrogg

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #882 on: August 22, 2023, 07:04:30 am »
We’ve been busy getting ready for early dig sugar beets and and harvesting beans. Got lots of stuff thru the shop and coming along nicely.

Finally some fantastic news about my sister in law. I waited a few days to make sure everything was still good.

About last Wednesday morning she woke up and wasn’t nearly as confused.

She knew where she was and was joking with her nurses. She asked for her phone and put her password for Facebook in and started chatting. It was the first time she looked at her phone in 50 days.

Her kidney function improved significantly.

She still has a lot of physical therapy and other issues but my brother is so glad to have her back.

Yesterday they moved her from the big city hospital to a local rehabilitation facility and my brother was so happy to be back in his county and looking forward to sleeping in his own bed.

Thank You everyone for your support. Sure hope it’s all improvement now and done with setbacks.

Bjrogg

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #883 on: August 22, 2023, 04:10:08 pm »
We’ve been doing a lot of shop work getting ready for early dig sugar beets. We are number one on the list. It’s a lottery. They draw your slot. Then you have to dig a the acres you put in. I’m thinking we will be digging right around September 5th.

Also getting ready for edible bean harvest.

The Pinto beans are starting to turn pretty good now. I’m thinking about September 9th. It all depends on the weather and lots of other things.

Every day counts though and today gets us another day closer.

Bjrogg

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #884 on: August 24, 2023, 09:37:05 am »
I’ve seen three clutches of second batch turkey in the past week. I had to stop on the road to let a hen and her fuzz balls pass last week. Last night I was going to trim up one of my hunting spots and saw another clutch. I didn’t get my camera out as quickly as I wanted to but I got one picture before they disappeared into the woods

Bjrogg