Author Topic: Deer hunting update.  (Read 82513 times)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Deer hunting update.
« Reply #225 on: December 19, 2007, 12:05:01 pm »
Nice deer Glenn,and good looking trees. :-* :-* :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #226 on: December 21, 2007, 05:51:22 am »
Plan on hunting this evening and in the morning and then I am off for a week hunt at LBL.Good
luck to all it is winding down quick. :'(
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #227 on: December 22, 2007, 12:58:14 am »
Pappy, nock them dead at LBL and have fun with them yanks. ;)      Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #228 on: December 24, 2007, 07:36:25 am »
Leaving Wend. see yall in a week or so,maybe have some stories to tell. :) :)Yall have
a big Christmas and good luck. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline lowell

« Reply #229 on: December 30, 2007, 11:05:35 pm »
Haven't been out for a while but got out tonight.  What a nice hunt!!   

About 10 inches of snow on the ground and snowed the whole time I hunted.  Saw a couple deer but too far and didn't come my way. 

Had maybe 25 turkeys filter by me on there way to roost but not close enough.  Had one within 30 yards but didn't have bow in hand when I saw it.  Too far anyway!!  Able to get bow in hand and draw on bird at 45 yards just to see if I could!!

Had a single bird out in field and he seeemed like he was hunting for the rest so made a few sounds on call and he came running.  Thought I was in for some action but he took a left turn before he got to me and went where the others had gone.

It was a great night!!! ;D
My son says I shoot a stick with a stick!!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #230 on: January 03, 2008, 06:27:18 am »
Well there is one more weekend here in Tn. so if it is going to happen again it better hurry up. It is pretty tough hunting here this time of year.The cover is all gone and the deer have been chased around for 3 months but you never know.I plan to get after them one more time then it is back to the shop and start thinking about the past season and of course next year.Good luck to all. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #231 on: January 06, 2008, 06:36:39 pm »
Well I closed my season yesterday with some excitement. The morning hunt I had three does in front of me at about 25 yards. The wind was swirling and they had gotten a scent of me but they couldn't figure out where I was. I kept hoping they would drop down the ridge into range, but finally my hunting partner ended the situation when he came walking up from behind me and spooked them off.

The afternoon hunt was even better and turned out to be one of the most exciting hunts of the season even though it ended with a missed shot. About an hour before dark I spot two or three deer running about hundred yards away through the woods. I kept trying to see where they had run to, and finally zeroed in on some noise in that direction. It turned out to be two bucks sparring with each other. I could distinctly hear their racks hitting together. This went on for maybe 10 minutes when I saw a deer headed my way. It was a spike buck and there was a small six point following. Then the two larger bucks I had been watching also started heading my way behind the first two. I was hunting about fifty yards off a food plot with the hopes of catching deer milling around inside the woods waiting until dark to enter the food plot. It had been raining off and on during the afternoon and now it started raining again. The first two smaller bucks passed by me at around 18 to 20 yards, and I had my concentration on the two larger 8 points bringing up the rear.  One of them had probably around a 16" inside spread ivory rack with the other one slightly narrower yet taller dark rack. The two larger bucks got within 20 yards or so and looked like I could expect them to pass by broadside at around 15 yards. I was in my climbing stand about 18-20' off the ground. The lead buck passed through a narrow lane before I could get drawn. They had been feeding I hopedone would stop in an opening and give me a still shot. Suddenly the two bucks got alert and I could hear one of the smaller bucks stomping his hoof and I knew the smaller bucks had gotten down wind of me. I quickly checked out both larger bucks and saw they were both behind cover. The lead one and closest to me had an open lane just behind him and I knew he would pass through it, but hopefully it wouldn't be to quickly when he spooked. He turned to leave and I drew quickly lined up and let fly as he passed into the opening. I watched my arrow fly over his back and knew my season had just ended. ;) When I found my arrow, one of the feathers was laying on the ground next to the shaft. I don't know what happened for it to fall off and be laying where it was next to the arrow. Oh well, they will be even nicer bucks next year and maybe ours paths will cross again... :)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #232 on: January 06, 2008, 07:35:47 pm »
Sounds like a hellofa nice last hunt Greg!! Too bad ya missed but there is always next year :). Mine ended on a jobsite :P. Next up - I'm huntin skrills (as DanaM puts it), theirs no season on em here ;D.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #233 on: January 06, 2008, 07:57:01 pm »
Your deer still have antlers, ours are all bald now ;D To bad about the miss Greg I assume you had the new HHB bow?
At least ya got a shot in. Thats all I had the whole season one shot :(
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #234 on: January 07, 2008, 06:22:57 am »
Sounds like yall had a good hunt,my wasn't as exciting but see several deer.It's
over now ,all except the youth hunt this weekend,maybe the kid will do some good.
Hope everyone had as good a season as I did,wound up with 4 doe,so I filled the freezer.
No horns but you can't eat them anyway. :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #235 on: January 07, 2008, 07:53:58 am »
Dana, I was using the HHB bow that I had entered for the December competition...not the one entered for Jan. 08.

I ended the season with a 6pt, a spike, and a doe. We won't talk about the "missed" opportunities... ;D
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #236 on: January 08, 2008, 12:20:00 am »
Two bowls of tag soup for me. >:(     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #237 on: January 08, 2008, 12:26:20 am »
......Well I have had a good year( any year is a good year when ya huntin' ;)) no complaints and it aint over just yet fer hawgs. The huntin' gods have been good ta me with deer and hawgs..........bob

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #238 on: January 11, 2008, 07:44:24 am »
Well this is it for us this weekend,got 4 or 5 kids coming down ranging is age from 7 to 10 for the youth hunt,they will be using guns so the deer on my place will be suprized.I will let yall know how
it turnes out Monday,hope the kids do good.The weather is supposed to be nice at least for Sat.
Have a good weekend.
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #239 on: January 12, 2008, 12:08:06 am »
Pappy, Those deer that like to stand about 40 yards out will be surprised this weekend! :o  Wishing all the kids luck. Looking forward to a report and pics.     Pat