Author Topic: ABO techniques, processes and tools.  (Read 94458 times)

Offline nclonghunter

Re: ABO techniques, processes and tools.
« Reply #210 on: October 20, 2015, 01:56:03 pm »
Sorry guys, I got pulled into the rabbit hole again myself. Iowabow, I agree you should stay here. There has been some great info posted on this thread already. I would like to see some more knapping tools that are being used. I must admit this thread got me to knapping for a few hours this morning and knocked out some arrowhead sized performs. All ABO of course.. :laugh:
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline Hummingbird Point

« Reply #211 on: October 20, 2015, 03:51:32 pm »
I'll get down in a muddy creek fighting skeeters and thorns to bust up cobbles of mostly junk to find a few good pieces of rock, so sifting through a bunch of long posts doesn't bother me any.

I want to learn.  Whatever crazy methods any of you are using, if you do it for long enough to see it works and feel it is an improvement, I want to try it.  If you find that standing on your head makes your pressure flakes go further or doing the hokey-pokey increases fluting success, I will try it. (I would pay money to see a video of Zuma doing the hokey-pokey while knapping.) ;D

Ultimately, the scientific method demands that the idea be tested by others and be shown to produce the same results.  No one is impressed when a PGA golfer shows up at the country club and beats everyone.  People are very impressed when twenty other guys use his techniques and improve their games.

Keith

Offline Zuma

« Reply #212 on: October 20, 2015, 05:44:46 pm »
This is the point you posted. Look at the divot (dip) lower left towards the tip.
Unusual for abo knapping? Not the multiple hinged flutes.
point looks unfinished compared to the others.

http://lithiccastinglab.com/cast-page/lambclovispoint76and83hand1.jpg

Also, almost every example of bone antler you have posted contains what I would
consider at least one antler part worthy of being used as a billet. Agree/not?
My point about the points being bigger than the preforms is---
They may be the bottom of the basket and thought unfit for the needed points.
Nothing to do with the method to make them.
Also here is another supposed Clovis cash from the surface and disturbed plow zone. The chert was mostly imported Hornstone. Not so suprising as I do believe
the migration was from west to east. Must have been a pioneering outpost with big butt mega fauna.
 I think every point was supposedly broken by farm equipment and restored.
Also like most reported Clovis cashes the Lamb points are 2" longer than average.
Strange imo.
Zuma
PS I hope Iowa can handle us hijacking his thread.
perhaps we should continue on another?

perhaps all you all should read the info here in red
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline Zuma

« Reply #213 on: October 20, 2015, 05:51:43 pm »
This is great and no I really don't feel hijacked at all. I think this post has a great mix of history demonstration and respectful debate going on and I am enjoying the dialogue. Please continue everyone.

Oh yeah there is this. It is supprising to me that anyone would take issue with the original posters wishes.
I guess it takes all kinds.
Thanks for your understanding Iowa.
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #214 on: October 20, 2015, 09:42:36 pm »
Well, I guess we are about to wade through 2 pages of pictures of broken flakes. Have fun, guys.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Zuma

« Reply #215 on: October 21, 2015, 06:32:30 am »
(I would pay money to see a video of Zuma doing the hokey-pokey while knapping.)
Keith

I'm not that easy Keith. You would have to insert GOOD between pay and money.
I'd like to see your thorn collection and a few skeeter bites. >:D
Zuma

AncientTech

« Reply #216 on: October 21, 2015, 10:29:32 am »
CRITICAL THINKING MOMENT:

What is the definition of "aboriginal"?

"being the first or earliest known of its kind present in a region"

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/aboriginal

In standard English, the term "aboriginal" refers to something that is intrinsically native to a culture, environment, etc. 

From an anthropological standpoint, the term "aboriginal" could be used to described certain things, such as point types, flaker types, flaking practices, etc.

For example, we could say that the "Clovis" point type is an "aboriginal" point type, because the First Americans made Clovis points. 

Similarly, we could say that composite bit pressure flakers, are aboriginal flaking tools, because Native Americans used composite bit pressure flakers.  Many have been found in dry rockshelters, and such, and some even date to the prehistoric era. 

Also, the act of pressure flaking with a pressure flaker could be called an "aboriginal" practice, because both prehistoric, and historic, Native Americans used pressure flakers.

Now, there is some gray area in this, because it is quite possible that a person might have knowledge of an aboriginal flaker, as a culturally predictable trait, yet not know how the flaker was used, by aboriginal people.  In this case, the flaker could be considered an "aboriginal" tool, yet the "aboriginal" mode of use may just be a matter of speculation.  This is not a "bad" thing.  It is simply a matter of honesty - intellectual honesty.

On the other hand, let's say that a hundred years ago, a European academic came up with a theory that ancient people used animal skin trampolines (like the Eskimo).  And, they also came up with wooden clubs.  So, according to the theory (emphasis on "theory"), the ancient people were tossed in the air, on the animal skin trampoline, and did back flips, while striking a weighted biface that was simultaneously tossed up into the air.  Would this constitute an "aboriginal" flaking practice? 

Well, if we used the term really loosely, one might argue that animal skins are aboriginal, because they are not nylon.  And, wooden billets are aboriginal, because they are not fiberglass.  In fact, if we used the word "aboriginal" as some use it today, then it could be argued that the flip-on-the-trampoline-wooden-club-flintknapping-practice is "aboriginal", in spite of the fact that there is zero evidence that anyone saw such a practice carried out, or that such a practice was ever carried out.  At most, one might have a "theory", or even on par with a fantasy. 

So, if person wants to understand "aboriginal flintknapping", in American contexts, then one has to have some sort of evidence of "aboriginal flintknapping".  A very weak type of evidence would be looking at flakes, and flake scars, and trying to infer a practice.  The problem with this approach is that a person cannot discount flintknapping practices that are unknown.   

A stronger type of evidence would involve looking at the life cycles of presumed aboriginal flaking tools, and looking at the contexts in which those tools are found, such as in burials of flintknappers, etc.  In this case, while the tools are known, the actual flaking processes, may not be known.  But, it does open the possibility of recreating the same types of flakes, with the same types of tools, as I have done with outrepasse. 

A third approach is to find records of how tools were used, and re-create flaking with known tools, and tool processes.  Such evidence might be found in ancient murals, artwork, or even writing systems. 

Also, since the aboriginal people of the Americas were using stone tools far beyond 1492, the possibility exists of linking aboriginal flintknapping tools known from the historic era, to aboriginal flintknapping tools known from the prehistoric era, while also linking aboriginal tool practices from the historic era, to aboriginal tool practices possibly employed in the prehistoric era.

If a person follows these routes, then some instances of "aboriginal" tools and tool use are fairly clear cut, while other instances are probably a matter of probability, with the idea being strengthened, or weakened, via experimentation. 

But, what the idea of "aboriginal" does not allow for is the manufacturing of ideas out of thin air.  Simply because a practice involves wood/bone, as opposed to copper/fiberglass, does not make the practice intrinsically "aboriginal".  Even trying to call a practice aboriginal, based on flakes and flake scars, is an extremely weak position to take, because one cannot rule out other practices that are not known, while making assessments based on flakes, and flake scars.  This is especially true when there are no known instances of the experimenter's flaker, found in archaeological contexts. 

In order for a practice to be called "aboriginal", one must be able to demonstrate some sort of link to Native American flintknapping practices.  And, such evidence is found in archaeological, historical, ethnographic, linguistic, and mythological, data.  And, this is actually why serious archaeologists used to talk to flintknappers, like Don Crabtree.  People like Crabtree had the intellectual fortitude needed to tackle the problem of reconciling evidence, with experimental results, head on.

END OF CRITICAL THINKING MOMENT:

AncientTech

« Reply #217 on: October 21, 2015, 01:17:16 pm »
1933 - CALIFORNIA GEMOLOGIST - FRED S. YOUNG

Indian Relics - Oregon Obsidian Arrowpoints

"While large quantities of obsidian, or volcanic glass, are found in many parts of Oregon, the best in quality suitable for- arrow and spear points is found at several localities in Lake county, Oregon. Lake county situated in the south central part of the states is region larger than many eastern states, but very sparsely populated.

For many years prior to the coming of the white man, the Indians obtained their finest arrow and spear point material from this region. The rough stone was also used for trade and barter with other tribes. Much of Lake county is arid, sage covered hills and treeless, which rendered it unsuited as a permanent camp for the early Indians, but it was an excellent hunting ground for game. Many of the fine points found today in this locality are a type of point used in hunting and not in battle.  In many of the eastern parts of the United States flint was widely used by the early Indians, for weapons and tools, but obsidian and agate was the material most generally used in the western states.

The fashioning of arrow and spear points and other blades was an art with the early Indian, confined to a few expert members of the tribe. Squaws were never permitted to do this work.  It is sometimes thought that heat and water were used in the chipping of the obsidian and agate but this method was not used.  The tools used by the early Indian for working obsidian and agate into points, were, bone, hardwood tools. Beavery and porcupine teeth were often used as tools for the purpose of working the very small bird points. A piece of bone about five inches in length and thicker than a pencil was the common tool for working obsidian. The work was held between the knees, padded with buckskin, the smaller points were worked by holding with the hands, padded with buckskin. 
The fashioning of arrow and spear points is an art requiring considerable skill, practice and patience, especially in the manufacture of the larger points and blades.

A few white men have by long practice become expert at this work and can equal the best work of the early Indian. The tools used by the white man are bone, a knife blade, a horseshoe nail, small chisels, a piece of stone, wood and a number of others. In the making of the large blades some white men have found it advantageous to use a clamp or vise to hold the work. The fashioning of a blade from obsidian of even twenty to thirty inches in length was a very difficult task for a number of reasons.  Naturally a large blade can be fractured much more readily than a smaller size, especially in the final finishing stages of the work.  It was a matter of considerable pride and honor to the Indian exhibiting the largest and best made blade, and he was signally honored with the rare privilege of dancing last, at the ceremonial. 

In the the manufacture of these large blades, special tools were used, the blank was roughed out by the judicious use of a stone or metal chisel, the final finishing chipping was done with a bone, knot of wood or sharpened elk horn. Obsidian in long or thin sections will fracture nearly as readily as glass, or the presence of even minute flaws will prove ruinous.  Few modern makers of blades can produce them in good quality longer than twenty inches. The Indian would often spend many days in the manufacture of the finer large blades; at least three full days work is necessary to produce a blade up to fifteen or twenty inches. The skill of a point maker was generally judged by his ability at at producing fine long blades. The largest blade of obsidian of which the writer has any authentic record, was made by an aged Indian with some fifty years experience. This blade was made from a block of Lake county, Oregon obsidian, which would weigh approximately 900 pounds in the rough. The finished blade measured 42 inches in length, 9 inches wide and nearly 2 inches thick, and was of very excellent workmanship. It was sold to a collector for a rather substantial sum. Skinning knives were also made of Oregon obsidian by by the early Indians, these were usually around eight inches in length and were double edged. They were made as thin as possible, consistent with strength. 

The skill of an Indian with bow and arrow, was often judged by the number of arrows kept in the air simultaneously. Special points and shafts were used in these contests, starting with a heavy point and shaft and ending with a very small point.  Incredible as it may seem, some braves had skill enough to keep as many as seven arrows in flight at one time.  These sets of graduated points and shafts were highly prized and used only at ceremonials. The arrow points used in hunting and and in warfare were different in character and in shape. Special barbs and curved points were often used in the war points.

In the making of a point or blade, the Indian would immediately discard any point which was fractured in the making.  The modern makers will often skillfully cement them together. At many localities in Lake county where the work of the early Indian was done, these broken fragments are quite common.  Lake county has some very fine and unusual red colored red colored obsidian which was especially prized by the Indian, and was widely used as barter material with distant tribes. Evidently the fine red color had some significance to the Indian. While some of the work done by the skilled white man is equal to that of the Indian, the more recent work can be readily identified by its bright unweathered surface.  Practically all the old points found in the field are dull and plainly show surface indications of long exposure to the elements. Some unscrupulous dealers have attempted to imitate weathering by placing their recently made material in corrosive solutions or by keeping them in the ground for a time and then disposing of same as early Indian work. As a rule these can be very easily detected with a little experience.  Naturally authentic early Indian points command a better market and price than the imitations.

The largest and finest collection of Lake county obsidian points, consists of some 10,000 pieces, including some quite large blades. About half of this collection was picked up in the field over a period of years. In this collection are some very fine and rare points.  The collection is in the possession of P. F. Forbes, mayor and postmaster at Stauffer, Oregon, located in the northern part of Lake county.  Due to the fact that in the early days, Lake county had abundant game of all kinds it was a favorite hunting ground for the Indian and as a result a great many points were used and lost in this region. A great many of the old camps used by the Indians have been located in this region but very little good material can be found at these places, other than tools used and other utensils. The best points have been found more or less at random.  The shores of some of the old shallow lakes have yielded excellent points. The entire region of Lake county can be looked upon as a Mecca for not only the collector of points and blades but of other Indian relics as well."

AncientTech

« Reply #218 on: October 21, 2015, 01:30:25 pm »
Ishi demonstrating hammerstone spalling of obsidian nodule:

AncientTech

« Reply #219 on: October 21, 2015, 01:34:27 pm »
Ishi - published 1919:

"But if a large spearpoint or knife-blade is ultimately desired, an INTERMEDIATE TOOL is needed. This is apparently (Ishi never made one for me to see) a short, stout, blunt-pointed piece of bone or wood serving as a sort of PUNCH and sometimes as a LEVER. As a matter of fact, what is wanted in the case of producing a large implement is not the division of the obsidian mass but the TRIMMING DOWN of this mass by the detachment from it of all unnecessary portions." 

(Handbook of aboriginal American antiquities, W.H. Holmes)

Critical thining moment:

If the process was used in the "trimming down" of the mass, then could this mean that the process was not geared towards primary thinning?  If so, then does that one would have to have a knowledge of the primary thinning stage, in order to recognize when the second state was introduced?  Is it possible that the primary thinning stage would have achieved desired thickness, thus by removing the need to carry out further thinning, with the second stage?  If so, then is it possible that such points would show signs of original hardhammer thinning, followed by secondary trimming, and then followed by pressure flaking?  Is it possible that the tool Ishi referenced is comparable to the short stubby antler tools known to have been used by at least one Karok knapper, from a nearby tribe?  Is it possible that there is also some precedent, in the prehistoric cave finds of the same region?  Is it possible that Ishi actually knew of aboriginal practices, that were culturally embedded????
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 01:39:33 pm by AncientTech »

Offline Hummingbird Point

« Reply #220 on: October 21, 2015, 04:44:07 pm »
Ben,

I do believe Ishi is a Representative example of what you consistently see in post-contact observations of Native American knapping:  These guys knew the finishing techniques but had lost the quarrying techniques.  They could take a late stage form and finish it, but the methods used get to that late stage had been lost.  Kroeber notes that Ishi used both a hammer stone and a punch to produce his arrowhead blanks, but notes:

"Both techniques sent slivers of glass flying in all directions.  It was a dangerous step, and Ishi was relieved when this part was done.  This first blow struck, the rest of the flint or glassworking could be done before an audience, there being no further danger from flying pieces except for to he worker himself."

Certainly that strikes all modern knappers as odd.  We know that a knapper of one year's experience, being handed a chunk of obsidian would use a direct percussion soft hammer of his choice to fairly neatly and effectively knock off arrowhead sized blanks, with little danger to anyone around him.  There most certainly would not shards of glass flying in all directions.  In all likelihood, Ishi and the small population of Yali men that preceded him could consistently fulfill all their arrowhead blank needs simply by picking up waste pieces at the old quarry sites or by raiding the dumps sites for glass bottles.  One could legitimately argue that Ishi (et. al.) may very well have learned the indirect percussion idea from watching a white stone mason using a hammer and chisel.

Even going way back, to the first permanent English settlement in North America, the only flint knapping observed by the Jamestown settlers was of pressure flaking a "sliver of stone" using a deer tine.   Trade preceded colonization by about 100 years, so by the time any Europeans were living in association with Native Americans, they had been using metal knives and hatchets for several generations.  Arrow heads were still being made since they are frequently lost and broken.  Add to that the massive depopulation and upheavals of epidemics and wars, and a huge amount of knowledge was lost.

Even prior to 1492 it is likely that most men only knew the finishing and resharpening parts of the process.  In Stone Implements of the Potomac-Chesapeake Tidewater Province  William Henry Holmes  shows a model where work at the quartzite cobble beds served the sole purpose of producing "quarry blanks", which we now more commonly refer to as late stage preforms.  These are preforms where all of the primary thinning is done, such that they only need to be finished into whatever tool form is desired.  This pattern is seen over and over throughout the world, because it makes good economic sense.  It is like going into the forest to cut trees and then milling it into lumber to take back to town to be used for whatever needs to be built.

A while back, using the quarry blank specs given by Holmes I set out to produce 10 quarry blanks from quartzite cobbles.  I did it in just under 5 hours.    If I took those preforms home, how long would they last before I had to go back to the quarry?  A million variables, but let's say a few months.  During that time I don't need my "quarry knapping" tools, I only need finishing tools.  Now in this case I was using wood at the "quarry", but let's say I was using antler direct percussion tools instead.  I don't need them for a few months, so that antler now also becomes a sort of blank, and will be used for finishing tools, or whatever else is needed.  Over time it gets smaller and smaller and ends up looking like a peg punch, and probably used as one for resharpening that quartzite, because it can't be done more than a few times by pressure alone. 

The experiment above was done with 2.5 years of experience working that material and with direct percussion tools I had started using one year before.  Imagine how good the guys that grew up doing it were.  So maybe in ten years, with more practice, two days at the quarry allows me to make 50 blanks.  Maybe that means 4 other guys didn't need to come along, I can supply their needs for the next few months, they just need to finish and resharpen.  This kind of example models the most basic of economies seen in all groups of humans everywhere. Add in trade and ramp up the specialization even a little bit (again, basic human behaviors seen everywhere) and you may very well have had villages where all of the knapping done was finishing work/resharpening. 

Is it possible you are trying to use finishing tools to do the quarry work of making the blanks?  Is it like finding several carpenter's work shops that each contain a handsaw, hammer and chisel, which are used to built stuff out of wooden boards and then concluding that if you have a log you need make the boards either with the hand saw, or by using the chisel and hammer to split the wood?  Those are rhetorical questions, because:

If what you have discovered is true,  and is in fact better, then everything I have just said is moot, because your method covers BOTH your line of thought and my line thought.  That is, it satisfies both of our main criteria.  So let's test it to see if that is, in fact, the case.

PeteDavis

« Reply #221 on: October 21, 2015, 09:21:08 pm »

KC I agree. Lots of final pass flakes on the jobsite where I just finished the chimney.

Artifacts too!

PD

Offline caveman2533

• Steve Nissly
« Reply #222 on: October 21, 2015, 10:09:16 pm »
Keith, that's the best explanation I have heard yet for Bens point of view. I would guess it is very accurate also.

AncientTech

« Reply #223 on: October 22, 2015, 11:03:28 am »
Ben,

I do believe Ishi is a Representative example of what you consistently see in post-contact observations of Native American knapping:  These guys knew the finishing techniques but had lost the quarrying techniques.  They could take a late stage form and finish it, but the methods used get to that late stage had been lost.  Kroeber notes that Ishi used both a hammer stone and a punch to produce his arrowhead blanks, but notes:

"Both techniques sent slivers of glass flying in all directions.  It was a dangerous step, and Ishi was relieved when this part was done.  This first blow struck, the rest of the flint or glassworking could be done before an audience, there being no further danger from flying pieces except for to he worker himself."

Certainly that strikes all modern knappers as odd.  We know that a knapper of one year's experience, being handed a chunk of obsidian would use a direct percussion soft hammer of his choice to fairly neatly and effectively knock off arrowhead sized blanks, with little danger to anyone around him.  There most certainly would not shards of glass flying in all directions.  In all likelihood, Ishi and the small population of Yali men that preceded him could consistently fulfill all their arrowhead blank needs simply by picking up waste pieces at the old quarry sites or by raiding the dumps sites for glass bottles.  One could legitimately argue that Ishi (et. al.) may very well have learned the indirect percussion idea from watching a white stone mason using a hammer and chisel.

Even going way back, to the first permanent English settlement in North America, the only flint knapping observed by the Jamestown settlers was of pressure flaking a "sliver of stone" using a deer tine.   Trade preceded colonization by about 100 years, so by the time any Europeans were living in association with Native Americans, they had been using metal knives and hatchets for several generations.  Arrow heads were still being made since they are frequently lost and broken.  Add to that the massive depopulation and upheavals of epidemics and wars, and a huge amount of knowledge was lost.

Even prior to 1492 it is likely that most men only knew the finishing and resharpening parts of the process.  In Stone Implements of the Potomac-Chesapeake Tidewater Province  William Henry Holmes  shows a model where work at the quartzite cobble beds served the sole purpose of producing "quarry blanks", which we now more commonly refer to as late stage preforms.  These are preforms where all of the primary thinning is done, such that they only need to be finished into whatever tool form is desired.  This pattern is seen over and over throughout the world, because it makes good economic sense.  It is like going into the forest to cut trees and then milling it into lumber to take back to town to be used for whatever needs to be built.

A while back, using the quarry blank specs given by Holmes I set out to produce 10 quarry blanks from quartzite cobbles.  I did it in just under 5 hours.    If I took those preforms home, how long would they last before I had to go back to the quarry?  A million variables, but let's say a few months.  During that time I don't need my "quarry knapping" tools, I only need finishing tools.  Now in this case I was using wood at the "quarry", but let's say I was using antler direct percussion tools instead.  I don't need them for a few months, so that antler now also becomes a sort of blank, and will be used for finishing tools, or whatever else is needed.  Over time it gets smaller and smaller and ends up looking like a peg punch, and probably used as one for resharpening that quartzite, because it can't be done more than a few times by pressure alone. 

The experiment above was done with 2.5 years of experience working that material and with direct percussion tools I had started using one year before.  Imagine how good the guys that grew up doing it were.  So maybe in ten years, with more practice, two days at the quarry allows me to make 50 blanks.  Maybe that means 4 other guys didn't need to come along, I can supply their needs for the next few months, they just need to finish and resharpen.  This kind of example models the most basic of economies seen in all groups of humans everywhere. Add in trade and ramp up the specialization even a little bit (again, basic human behaviors seen everywhere) and you may very well have had villages where all of the knapping done was finishing work/resharpening. 

Is it possible you are trying to use finishing tools to do the quarry work of making the blanks?  Is it like finding several carpenter's work shops that each contain a handsaw, hammer and chisel, which are used to built stuff out of wooden boards and then concluding that if you have a log you need make the boards either with the hand saw, or by using the chisel and hammer to split the wood?  Those are rhetorical questions, because:

If what you have discovered is true,  and is in fact better, then everything I have just said is moot, because your method covers BOTH your line of thought and my line thought.  That is, it satisfies both of our main criteria.  So let's test it to see if that is, in fact, the case.

Hello Keith,

"I do believe Ishi is a Representative example of what you consistently see in post-contact observations of Native American knapping:  These guys knew the finishing techniques but had lost the quarrying techniques."

Actually, some of the tribes specialized in the extensive working of lithics, while others tended to get the end products, and simply refurbish them, during use.  Some individuals were flintknapping specialists, and some tribes may have even specialized in entire lithic processes, depending on their proximity to large deposits of workable materials.  More than likely, Ishi was not a specialist, as was found in some of the nearby tribes.  Also, as far as I know, his tribe was not known for specializing in the creation of lithics.  I believe that some of the nearby tribes were, though. 

Also, the introduction of glass caused a shift in the overall reduction processes.  Instead of working chert boulders down to arrowheads, through various reductive processes, the introduction of glass made it possible to start with the equivalent cut slab, and pressure flake a point.  This was even seen in Tierra Fuego, of South America, where natives took up the pressure flaking of glass, to sell as trinkets, whereas a generation before, they were working chert with other processes than pressure flaking processes.

Lewis and Clark found natives doing steel repairs, with fire and anvils, in their huts, even though they had never seen a white man before.  And, they may have only seen stone being worked, on one occasion, when a woman retouched a stone tool via pressure.  So, it would appear that the original practices were lost pretty quickly, via the importation of glass, steel, etc. 

But, in some pockets, the practices continued, especially in areas where the geographic isolation persisted.  This was true in some areas west of the Rockies (as noted by Catlin), and in the northern Arctic, where Eskimos may have used stone tools until the early 20th century. 

For this reason, I posted a photo of Karok knapper who was born around 1863, and who learned historically known tribal technologies, as a teenager (1880's).  I believe that he stated that he learned with hammerstones, and pressure flakers first.  And, later, he learned the more advanced technologies.  I also posted some of his "flakers", that were collected in 1916.  This individual was not far from Ishi.  And, he did reduce boulders at quarries.  But, he also worked as a specialist.  And, the products that he made were the same type of products that had been traded to other tribes, during the 19th century.  As mentioned before, Ishi was probably not a specialist.  And, the Yahi tribe probably did not specialize in lithic reduction either.

"Certainly that strikes all modern knappers as odd.  We know that a knapper of one year's experience, being handed a chunk of obsidian would use a direct percussion soft hammer of his choice to fairly neatly and effectively knock off arrowhead sized blanks, with little danger to anyone around him."

Generally, "hard hammers" are things like hammerstones, while "soft hammers" are things like wood/antler batons.  The deal about traditional cultures is that they tend to stay the same, whereas western culture tends to be super progressive.  If I wanted to spall obsidian, I would probably use a "soft hammerstone".  I would not use a baton.  I would also want to have a well padded support, that yields during impact.  I would make up for the hardness of the stone, by the softness of the support.  In fact, if the percussor was harder - like quartzite - I would use an even softer support.  And, I would make the blow fast, to achieve the break, before the stone has time to move. 

In terms of support, I think that many aboriginal flintknapping accounts show a more balanced view between the strike/striker, and the support, whereas the modern knappers tend to be more tool focused.  Look at Catlin's explanation of the yielding elasticity of the palm.  And, Catlin probably encountered those natives between 1830 and 1840, while publishing the account just before he died, around 1870.

"Even going way back, to the first permanent English settlement in North America, the only flint knapping observed by the Jamestown settlers was of pressure flaking a "sliver of stone" using a deer tine."

Right, the individual wore a little flaker on his wrist, by which he quickly worked the point.  This individual was probably accustomed to receiving end products via trade.  Also, even with the introduction of firearms, many natives did not like the way that the firearms scared quarry.  So, they still sometimes hunted with bow and arrow.  They also used arrows in sniper attacks on settlers, because a silent arrow could kill a night time sentinel, without anyone realizing that the individual had been shot to death.  A gun, on the other hand, would alert the dogs, the people, and everyone, that they were under attack. 

The use of the bow and arrow persisted for a number of reasons, especially in making sneak attacks on sleeping animals, and unsuspecting people.  Obviously, they could have switched the stone arrowhead to a steel arrowhead, and achieved the same effect.  But, the knowledge of working stone would have been of great value, whenever "white man" supplies were cut off, as noted by Grinnell, in 1879.

"Add to that the massive depopulation and upheavals of epidemics and wars, and a huge amount of knowledge was lost."

The knowledge was lost in most areas, but not all areas.  Beyond that, many of the tools used were consistently used for thousands of years.  And, many of those tools appear to be the same tools that were still being used, in the colonial era.  The presence of prehistoric-style flintknapping tools, in colonial era indian sites, is the dovetail between the old, and the new.  And, the use of some of those flintknapping tools have never been understood.

"Even prior to 1492 it is likely that most men only knew the finishing and resharpening parts of the process.  In Stone Implements of the Potomac-Chesapeake Tidewater Province  William Henry Holmes  shows a model where work at the quartzite cobble beds served the sole purpose of producing "quarry blanks", which we now more commonly refer to as late stage preforms.  These are preforms where all of the primary thinning is done, such that they only need to be finished into whatever tool form is desired.  This pattern is seen over and over throughout the world, because it makes good economic sense.  It is like going into the forest to cut trees and then milling it into lumber to take back to town to be used for whatever needs to be built."

I am glad that you quote Holmes.  Holmes was probably the second person, after Cushing, who attempted to make a systematic study of Native American flintknapping practices.  I have some of Holme's material that was never published.  Regarding the tools, and the photo, of the Karok obsidian knapper, that I posted earlier, Holmes said that his work was of "great value" to the scientific world.  And, the work of the obsidian knapper PROVES that flintknapping was not a "lost art", as had been alleged by leading European researchers, after fifty years of hammerstone experiments failed to produce the best results.  Also, Holmes said that he had never seen the technology that involves the little Karok antler punches, that I showed photos of.  Beyond that, Holmes had previously written that Native American knapping was "not well understood".  Obviously, the generation gap, between the end of widespread flintknapping, and the age of inquiry, led to this gap in knowledge, in most quarters. 

By the way, if you look carefully through all of Holme's documentation, you will not see an antler baton.  The closest idea that he has to baton use, is an unhafted antler hammer, that is gripped in the center, and used in conjunction with a padded anvil, and a downwards blow, to trim the edge of a stone, as an antler mallet was believed to have been used.  But, even this idea is offered as a speculative idea.  Also, he offers a diagram of an elongated object swung at an edge, to detach flakes.  The diagram looks similar to a baton.  But, the text reveals that he explains direct percussion, in terms of hammerstone use. 

Holmes also covers technologies that were never covered by European academics, such as combinations of technologies.  And, when a person considers that the technology that initiates a break might be different than the technology that makes the break run long, and the technology that makes the break run long might be different than the technology that causes the break to turn, then the idea of combined technologies makes perfect sense.  But, if a person sees flintknapping, and flintknapping tools, in the same way that we view modern tools, then the proper understanding is never achieved, which is needed to create stuff like tine-based outrepasse.  At a certain level, Holmes probably did not fully understand the ramifications of some of his own information that he documented.  But, he did not claim to be a "flintknapper", either.

The people who only knew of sharpening processes, were probably accustomed to using lithic "end products", received by trade.  Also, I think it is fair to say that between 1897 and 1920, Holmes expanded his own views, a bit.  And, for that, he should be applauded. 

"The experiment above was done with 2.5 years of experience working that material and with direct percussion tools I had started using one year before.  Imagine how good the guys that grew up doing it were.  So maybe in ten years, with more practice, two days at the quarry allows me to make 50 blanks.  Maybe that means 4 other guys didn't need to come along, I can supply their needs for the next few months, they just need to finish and resharpen.  This kind of example models the most basic of economies seen in all groups of humans everywhere. Add in trade and ramp up the specialization even a little bit (again, basic human behaviors seen everywhere) and you may very well have had villages where all of the knapping done was finishing work/resharpening."

In some areas, there are signs of blanks being worked in specialty shops, as they are traded out away from the quarry.  Every few miles, a different specialty workshop illustrates a different stage of reduction, as the blank is further worked.  In reality, if people focused on the flaking tools found at those sites, and studied the debitage, flakes, flake scars, and platforms, then it might be possible to reconstruct the same stage of reduction, with the same stage of tools that were used.  In my opinion, this would be much better than inventing start to finish processes, out of thin air, with no regard for actual stages (idea only applies to "abo" knapping).

"Is it possible you are trying to use finishing tools to do the quarry work of making the blanks?  Is it like finding several carpenter's work shops that each contain a handsaw, hammer and chisel, which are used to built stuff out of wooden boards and then concluding that if you have a log you need make the boards either with the hand saw, or by using the chisel and hammer to split the wood?  Those are rhetorical questions, because:"

Cushing was the first person to make a systematic study of Native American flintknapping.  I believe he died in 1901 or 1902.  He also lived with the Zuni for five years, and became a tribal arrowmaker.  He recorded over a half a dozen flintknapping practices used by Native American knappers.  Cushing stated that much of the difference between tools, and technologies, has to do with the materials being worked.  I believe he even offered the example of arctic cherts being harder to work than other types of materials.  I think that Cushing was right.  And, I think that there is even an observable difference in tool kits used to work obsidian, and tool kits used to work chert. 

That being said, I think that the starting point is the material being worked - not the tool being used to work the material.  Also, it seems clear that ancient tool users selected rock or knapped rock, with tensile strength in mind.  For this reason, the use of thermal alteration would have been fairly minimal, except in the cases of creating ceremonial objects.  Also, at Colha, I believe it was recorded that super high grade spalls were set aside, and used for making very thin end products. 

So, the processes used at the quarry could be based upon the nature of the stone being worked.  Some processes involve unusual amounts of force, but low amounts of shock.  Such processes could have been used to create polyhedral cores, massive spalls, etc.  Some flintknapping processes allow the flintknapper to separate the quality of the flaker, from the mass being used to drive off the flake.  Other processes, can be used on rougher grained stone without injury to the stone. 

Anyway, I cannot subscribe to a linear model of quarry work, or any other kind of work, for that matter, because the nature of lithic materials can be quite diverse, and require very different technological approaches, unless the knapper happens to cook the stone to an almost glass-like state, which basically destroys inherent tensile strength. 

"If what you have discovered is true,  and is in fact better, then everything I have just said is moot, because your method covers BOTH your line of thought and my line thought.  That is, it satisfies both of our main criteria.  So let's test it to see if that is, in fact, the case."

Yes, I want my work to be tested via the same criteria that is used to analyze other flaking, such as Clovis flaking - flake attributes, flake scars, and materials.  Actually, I can provide more data than what Clovis materials offers, because I can show the flaker, and I can even say that the process is derived from historical records.  Plus, I can show that the process is not exclusive to overshot flaking, since it is also good for fluting, coast to coast flaking, and regular flaking.  So, there are four types of flaking that my work can be judged on - overshot, coast to coast, fluting, and regular flaking.  If the consensus is that none of it looks like paleo technology, then I will send it to archaeologists, to get a second opinion.

Here is an example of regular flaking being used to connect to a fluted basal area:

Regular flake from tip reaches fluted area:

Flake removal:

Both the flute, and the long flake, were made with the same technology.  This might be chalcedony, or agatized coral.  It is really tough.  If I had applied thermal alteration, I probably could have made it thinner.

Ben     

« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 11:08:52 am by AncientTech »

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #224 on: October 22, 2015, 03:36:52 pm »
Ben, I'm curious to know what technique you use to get to put  6 pictures up when everyone else is stuck a 4 :o Bob