Author Topic: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information  (Read 689086 times)

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
Re: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information
« Reply #2670 on: April 27, 2016, 03:03:23 am »
The first BW I made was a 62" NTN bendy narrow handle that pulled 50@28. It was 1 7/8" and tapered the last 10" to 1/2" tips. Belly was flat with all edges rounded.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #2671 on: April 27, 2016, 04:05:44 am »
Just a swift update, have more or less finished roughing out plan b, and I've heat treated the outer thirds to remove sideways bend in one limb and heli twist in the other. All is now nice and straight with 2" reflex. Unfortunately the heat treat has pushed draw weight back up so I can't bend it past straight so I am going to rough out plan c then sit down one weekend and twist up a bundle of strings (I need to make at least 6) and rig a proper tiller tree. I was going for a compass bend, like a mini war bow, so no fades and no stiff tips?

Offline Ranasp

« Reply #2672 on: April 27, 2016, 01:19:17 pm »
Jandersson brought up something I didn't think of, on my Black Locust I started at 2" wide and just gradually tapered it until it was 1/4" wide at the nocks.  Should I have it parallel for a length and then taper it? 

I had only drawn out the one limb, and yes, I made sure to follow the original center line and measured out from it every 6" or so to make sure both sides are the same distance out from it.  I'll get the other limb drawn out and take a picture of it before I start carving into it.  Maximum anxiety for that part. 

Offline bubby

« Reply #2673 on: April 27, 2016, 01:39:16 pm »
leave it 1/2" wide at the tips when you rough it out and a straight taper like you have is fine
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #2674 on: April 27, 2016, 03:11:04 pm »
Ranasp. On all my black locus bows I leave the limbs parallel 1/2 way down then rapper to 1/2 nocks. That will leave you with enough limb to have plenty of weight. You can always take wood off if it's to height of weight. You can't put wood on if it's too low

Offline half eye

« Reply #2675 on: April 27, 2016, 03:26:56 pm »
Ranasp,
       Gut give you some good advice right there....you cant go wrong leaving yourself some "wiggle" room on the first few bows.
rich

Offline ty_in_ND

« Reply #2676 on: April 28, 2016, 10:43:22 am »
Ty remwmber to get it tillered to around 20" before you recurve it if thats your plan, no suprises that way

That's the plan!  Also... work and orchestra got in the way of things.  I'll hopefully be able to take an afternoon off either today or tomorrow so I can get everything ready (not to mention to upload a picture of where I'm at...).
"The best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing."

Offline Ranasp

« Reply #2677 on: April 28, 2016, 03:32:03 pm »
Leave it at 2" for half of the way and then 1/2" nocks, got it!  I'll adjust it and take pictures. 

Offline TimothyR

• PM110782
« Reply #2678 on: April 29, 2016, 06:04:04 am »
Timothy,
              Good advice from Fred...I have a cure for you...Recently had an identical deflexed area on a piece of Osage...It took 5-7 minutes steaming and held in place for a few minutes while it cooled...It bent like butter and was a 1/2" thick...I learned this from "half eye" on a past thread and it works...my wife didn't appreciate the orange water drops and I also blamed that on "half eye" >:D
                                                                                                                             Don
Thanks Don! I will give that a try Wednesday or Thursday I'm working till Wednesday morning.  Thank you I hope it works.

Don and Half eye...steamed the Osage and it worked like a charm. Still a little twist in it but it's not too bad so I'll take that out when I heat reflex in.  Thank you for the tip! 
Freedom dies one compromise at a time. III%

Offline kid bow

« Reply #2679 on: April 29, 2016, 09:08:21 am »
Just a swift update, have more or less finished roughing out plan b, and I've heat treated the outer thirds to remove sideways bend in one limb and heli twist in the other. All is now nice and straight with 2" reflex. Unfortunately the heat treat has pushed draw weight back up so I can't bend it past straight so I am going to rough out plan c then sit down one weekend and twist up a bundle of strings (I need to make at least 6) and rig a proper tiller tree. I was going for a compass bend, like a mini war bow, so no fades and no stiff tips?

lol I tell ya what you don't like that stave you feel free to send it to me. ill take good care of it >:)
i need nothing but my old bow and arrows.

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #2680 on: April 30, 2016, 05:33:36 pm »
First off--Graduation is over!!!  It has been one of the longest school years I care to recall and I am so glad it is over.  I have been running the ragged edge of burnout for a while now and the only thing keeping me sane is to come home and work some wood and see it bend.  Normally I teach in the summer too, but I am going to slow down this off season, hopefully build a garage (with a workshop in the back of it), ride my bike, and maybe build and shoot some bows.  First step was getting my yew trade bow to full draw. I have it at the upper end of the weight range and the upper end of the draw range, so I think I will stop scraping and finish off with sand paper from here.  If you see any place that needs a tweak or two, now is the time, but I am pretty happy with it as it is.  here it is from both sides. . .

Offline half eye

« Reply #2681 on: April 30, 2016, 06:20:28 pm »
Damned Jeff.....sand it and send it bud !!!! 8)

Kid Bow,  you gonna get around to gettin some pics of your plan A bow sir? Teasing is one thing but ya know how we like our pictures >:D
rich

Offline kid bow

« Reply #2682 on: April 30, 2016, 06:40:38 pm »
Damned Jeff.....sand it and send it bud !!!! 8)

Kid Bow,  you gonna get around to gettin some pics of your plan A bow sir? Teasing is one thing but ya know how we like our pictures >:D
rich
haha getting this horn polished is a pain in the butt. hopefully soon I can get it done.
i need nothing but my old bow and arrows.

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
« Reply #2683 on: April 30, 2016, 06:53:12 pm »
Jeff, that looks great as is.

Offline Otter

« Reply #2684 on: April 30, 2016, 07:14:19 pm »
I'm at the classic in Tennessee, been a lot of fun, I started plan C ... A Osage stave I chased a ring down and cut out to 64" ... The tiller is finished out at 48# @ 28" ... I'm working on the handle now... I'm going to make it a simple hour glass style for shooting off the hand... I'll try to get some pictures taken after I get handle finished... I'm planing on putting a fake dimemonback rattlesnake skin on the back and dogwood overlays for the tips cause I think the doogwood will turn a gray white with the finish and put a black leather hand wrap on handle.
I've got to see some others in the trade this week ... Loope and Dylanholderman ... Might be others.. Let know what you think