Author Topic: Another Invitational 2016 Bow Trade...  (Read 126083 times)

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
Re: Another Invitational 2016 Bow Trade...
« Reply #210 on: February 04, 2016, 11:30:13 pm »
Hey Patrick, I just recalled that the Osage had begun to cause you allergy and respiratory issues during our fun up in Wright City, so, (...just because I'm a compassionate and helpful sort of guy!  >:D ), I'd be happy to come by one day this week and remove that toxic waste you got stashed there at the house.  Just let me know what time to show up...

OneBow

P.S. - I could even bring you a few hypo-allergenic Red Oak boards in exchange for all that toxic yella stuff...

Thanks for your concern buddy. You know you can come by anytime. I'll even let you take some yeller wood, but I would rather sneeze than give up Osage. Besides, this stuff hasn't bothered me at all!

Hey, for you guys around Springfield, don't forget that the UMB get together is in your town this weekend. You might see something at the vendor hall that gives you some hope and inspiration...  ;)
 ;D

Thanks Paul! I almost forgot. Hope we can get there for a day!

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #211 on: February 05, 2016, 03:01:02 pm »
Today's objective is to reduce thickness to apprx 9/16".

Rasped on angle down to lines on sides.

Now gonna put on belt sander to reduce middle portion to lines on sides. Me & belt sander are dangerous combo!
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #212 on: February 05, 2016, 08:17:32 pm »
It flexes!

Bit of deflex on left and reflex on right.

Ya'll get a peek at my "office"!   ;)
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 08:39:01 pm by Knoll »
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline half eye

« Reply #213 on: February 05, 2016, 08:20:52 pm »
Dang Knoll, looks like one of my usual staves 8)
rich

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #214 on: February 05, 2016, 08:35:13 pm »
"Borrowed" a pic from Badly Bent's recent post. It illustrates what want to achieve, except mine'll bend in handle.

Ohhhhhh, if mine could look like Rich's!!   ::)
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 09:10:29 pm by Knoll »

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #215 on: February 05, 2016, 10:05:07 pm »
Went through the stave pile and it would appear that I have been both generous in passing along staves to folks (usually some eager kid..) as well as lax in my collecting some new material to replenish the pile.
I de-barked some narrow ringed osage the other night that has possibilities. I also have some hickory(?), maybe  ??? hackberry, to work with.

Offline Patches

« Reply #216 on: February 06, 2016, 12:04:35 pm »
Knoll when did Badly Bent post the picture if that jig?

I need to get busy working on my bow. I am getting behind.

Neal
"You are never a complete failure as long as you can be used as a bad example..."

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #217 on: February 06, 2016, 12:20:25 pm »
Knoll when did Badly Bent post the picture if that jig?

Neal . . . . Greg posted it here . . . . .
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,53512.msg763199/topicseen.html#msg763199

Offline half eye

« Reply #218 on: February 07, 2016, 05:36:09 pm »
Thought I would post a teaser pic...one of the top 2 bows is coming over here 8)
rich

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #219 on: February 07, 2016, 06:04:28 pm »
Rich, you puttin' your new found knowledge right to work! Some lucky fella is gonna have some special weapon!!

Offline half eye

« Reply #220 on: February 07, 2016, 06:08:43 pm »
I sure hope so Knoll, after the gracious invite dont want to let anybody down.....we'll see
rich

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #221 on: February 07, 2016, 06:30:02 pm »
Ok, think it's advice time before going any further . . . . .

To review .... workin' 59" red elm to be bendy handle with bit of deflex & reflex & flipped tips .... likely NOT recurve. Profiles are done. I've compared limb thickness from one side of limb to another and compared thickness of one limb to same spot on other limb.  Adjustment made as needed. Floor tiller seems decent.

One limb is reflexed a bit and other deflexed. Handle and/or limbs need to be moved as string just barely passes through handle.

Planning to add tip overlays at some point.

Not at all sure what sequence of steps should be going forward.
+++ Even out limbs (reflex)
+++ Deflex handle
+++ Low brace
+++ Align tips with handle
+++ Flip tips
+++ Add tip overlays
+++ Final tillering

Thanks for reading and looking forward to recommends.

« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 12:26:12 am by Knoll »

Offline hunterbob

« Reply #222 on: February 07, 2016, 10:29:22 pm »
I would get it floor tillered and then move it with heat or steam . Then the tip overlays

Offline JonW

« Reply #223 on: February 07, 2016, 11:29:09 pm »
 deflex and even out limbs, get it to low brace. Align tips and flip then overlays

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #224 on: February 08, 2016, 01:27:07 am »
Why do we wait till August to deliver the bows? Any thing could happen between now and then. I have not started but would like to do so. I just don't get the waiting game. Newby here so fill me in. Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!