Author Topic: It followed me home thread  (Read 257488 times)

Offline osage outlaw

Re: It followed me home thread
« Reply #120 on: March 11, 2017, 02:23:58 pm »
Pat, When we meet up at the Classic remind me to tell you my pneumatic jackhammer story  ;)
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #121 on: March 11, 2017, 02:57:14 pm »
Yup I was just at a trailer hitch safety meeting. You should have seen some of the pictures that guy putting the meeting on had. If it wasn't so scary it would have been hilarious. Said he got most of the pictures in the Walmart parking lot but some where driving down the expressway.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Stringman

« Reply #122 on: March 11, 2017, 03:12:54 pm »
I was offered a canvas wall tent for $50. Went out to take a look and had to dig thru this guys closet full of junk. Way back under the stair, I found this thin rolled up and all the poles/stakes. After looking it over, I said it looked to be worth $50. He said just "go ahead and take it," and then he threw in an army fart sack (extreme cold weather mummy bag.)

Not bad for free. Just needs minor repairs.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #123 on: March 11, 2017, 03:37:27 pm »
Nice tent.  It looks big.  What are the dimensions?

Stringman

« Reply #124 on: March 11, 2017, 04:22:08 pm »
9x11 and 7' in the peak. I've about got all the holes patched up, now I just wonder if the canvas is still strong.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #125 on: March 11, 2017, 05:17:43 pm »
That is a cool looking tent.

Offline BrianS

« Reply #126 on: March 11, 2017, 08:01:36 pm »
In addition to me having the "It followed me home" bug, many of my friends up at our Archery Club have it also. We have held Members Only Swap Meets in the past. Lots of great Archery, Hunting and Outdoors stuff shows up on the tables. It mostly works like this: You bring up some stuff, sell, trade or give it away and then find some new stuff that "follows you home".

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #127 on: March 12, 2017, 03:41:51 pm »
Nice find, Stringleberries!  Nice, indeed!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Buffalogobbler

« Reply #128 on: March 12, 2017, 03:57:33 pm »
The Hawkeye swap meets are a lot of fun Brian, I always come home with more stuff than I get rid of. :OK

Kevin
Beer is living proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy-Ben Franklin

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #129 on: March 12, 2017, 04:14:15 pm »
That looks like my kind of swap meet.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #130 on: March 12, 2017, 06:35:04 pm »
Stringman....and it's got a floor too yet for snake country.Great score I'd say.Nice size too.
Usually most canvas tents are made out of at least 10 ounce material.I've had very good results using a tear mender type latex glue along with a canvas patch to patch canvas,or blinds that are even made out of more synthetic nylon material.No sewing involved at all.
I'm sure you know but mildew is the enemy of most canvas.Putting it away dry is crucial and in a good dry place too.Your stress points will reveal how well it was took care of of course.
From the looks of it I don't see many tears.Having all the parts etc. too.An awning and looks like screened windows too yet.That's a night time plus in the summer.Maybe a water proofing job is in order too.Lots of products out there.Put it on with a weed sprayer.Patching everything first though.Worth sticking a small amount of money and time into.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #131 on: March 12, 2017, 06:42:04 pm »
Scott, it looks like Sears quit using the name J.C. Higgins around 1964.  Your tent is over 50 years old!

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #132 on: March 12, 2017, 10:11:18 pm »
I've got a couple canvas dwellings that are over 35 years old that are as good as new yet.Just makes a diff how well it was put away and stored.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline JEB

« Reply #133 on: March 12, 2017, 10:47:48 pm »
I found an almost new Stihl chain saw in the middle of the roadway in a small town here in Texas the other day.  I dropped off at the local P.D. in case the owner asked about it.  I mean like new without a scratch on it.

Offline steve b.

« Reply #134 on: March 12, 2017, 11:01:11 pm »
This probably doesn't qualify as thrifty but I did get it today and it is used.  I was in the market for a newer, bigger bandsaw to at least reduce staves but also had fantasies about having one big enough to resaw logs, for whatever purpose.  A friend at work heard I was looking and gave me a deal on this 5hp that I couldn't refuse.  He threw in several carbide blades of different thicknesses and one of those accordion roller benches.  So all in all it was a very good deal for me.  Its 650 lbs.