Author Topic: 2nd Annual Cross Plains Get-together (Pictures Added)  (Read 42163 times)

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
Re: 2nd Annual Cross Plains Get-together
« Reply #75 on: April 06, 2012, 05:02:23 am »
Gus, if it's clear the stargazing is awesome.  It was fantastic the last time I was out there (a couple weeks ago).
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline neuse

« Reply #76 on: April 06, 2012, 11:11:50 am »
I will bring a small perculator coffe pot that I have and a coleman stove along with coffe. If someone else has another pot that would be nice. I will also bring 4 or 5 gallon jugs of water for coffee, cooking and what ever.

Stringman

« Reply #77 on: April 06, 2012, 05:29:25 pm »

I'm looking forward to getting together too.  Is there anything else I should be doing to make it a better time? 

Thanks,
George

Yeah, move it closer to Illinois!!! :laugh: :laugh:

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #78 on: April 06, 2012, 05:45:04 pm »
Gus, if it's clear the stargazing is awesome.  It was fantastic the last time I was out there (a couple weeks ago).

Yes the stars are awesome out there. :)  If it's clear it'll be great again as we'll hit the new moon just like you did.  I love to lay on my back and look at the sky through my nightvision monocular.   There are way more shooting stars up there than you can see with just your eyes.

;D ;D

Gus, that sounds awesome.  I could bring my 12-string guitar, but it's been so long my fingers would only last a few minutes. :-[ :-[

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #79 on: April 06, 2012, 06:07:00 pm »
:)

I hear ya George...
My time is no longer my own, and as such I don't get a chance to pick up the bass very often these daze.
Sooo... Who's the Monkey on the Bass Guitar?
Me...
But I haven't forgetten all of it... Yet! :)

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline ksbowhunter

« Reply #80 on: April 08, 2012, 03:26:01 pm »
I will also bring a stove and coffee pot.

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #81 on: April 08, 2012, 03:58:11 pm »

I'm looking forward to getting together too.  Is there anything else I should be doing to make it a better time? 

Thanks,
George

Just come on down Scott ;D

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #82 on: April 09, 2012, 03:00:25 am »
Have a quick hog hunting update, the land owner was just out to Cross Plains and sent me some trail cam pictures.  Looks like there are only a handful of hogs on the property.  There is this very pregnant sow that looks like she's lost an ear, probably to a catch dog.

and a couple boar, this being the larger one.

So, there's a chance we might get a shot at some pork if we're lucky.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Tower

« Reply #83 on: April 13, 2012, 04:14:13 am »
I've been outta pocket lately , but where eill it be held? Directions.
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #84 on: April 13, 2012, 06:39:09 am »
Wow, I'm finally crawling back to the land of the living.  This 24hr flu, or food poisoning, or whatever it was knocked the stuffin out of me.  Thank goodness our get-together is a week from today.  I'll PM the directions out to everyone that has said they were coming.  With our recent break-in at the lease the land owner is a little sensitive to having directions on the internet.  Here's the group I'll be messaging to and how many I think are coming:

gstoneberg (1 or 2)
seider (1)
Tower (1)
cowboy (1)
jackcrafty (3)
criveraville (2)
Gus (1)
neuse (1)
ksbowhunter (2)

Where I knew family was coming I've shown how many I knew of.  That doesn't mean you can't bring somebody else if you want, it just gives us a feel for how many to prepare for.  They recently had 2" of rain out there and the grass around camp has gotten taller than normal.  The landowner was out there mowing a little bit last weekend but had some flat tire problems with the rider we keep out there.  Mesquite thorns and dry rot no doubt.  I'll be bringing my string trimmer and a gallon of green slime to try and get the lawn mower going.  As I recall, our wood pile for making fires was a little small.  I'm thinking about bringing my bin of osage cut-offs that's overflowing in the shop and needs to be used up.  I'll probably bring a chain saw as well.  There's tons of downed mesquite and oak  available  for firewood.  Anyway, keep in mind the ticks should be out now.  The snakes are out as well.  Last year one of Patrick's sons found a copperhead but we normally don't see too many snakes.  There is a gas refrigerator out there, but for the life of me I can't get it to work very well. 

We're close enough now to get an early take on weather and the weather channel 10 day forecast says we should have sunshine, highs in the mid 80s and lows around 60 for that weekend.  With a new moon the stars will be awesome.  One of the other hunters on the lease is going out this weekend to do a little turkey and hog hunting.  We'll get an update on hog activity from him.  I can't offer turkey hunting to everybody there since there are other paying hunters on the lease.  Hogs are no problem, assuming they cooperate.

The plan of record is that I will arrive before 4pm a week from today, April 20th, to unlock the gate.  It'll remain open until we leave sometime Sunday  morning, April 22nd.  I'll put some kind of sign at the edge of the road there marking the entrance.  You will need to follow the dirt road in about a half mile to get to camp.  It should be dry enough for cars to make it back, but the road will likely have some ruts you'll need to avoid.  There are 4 beds in the shed available to the first 4 who want them.  I will sleep in the bed in the tower blind.  There is a bed in the field blind (if the land-owner does not come and take it) and one in the tank blind as well.  For some reason the mice are bad in that one.  We'll do our knapping in camp.  Last time Patrick brought tarps for us to put down.  Bring chairs as the camp chairs have seen better days.  I'm going to bring some rock to trade, and some for Paul's heating demonstration.  Remember, there's no drinking water there so bring water to drink.  There's an old outhouse for serious bathroom needs.  In a later post we'll go over what we have set up for meals so far and see if we need more stuff there.

If you feel like flight shooting, there is a big open field to do it in out there.  If you want to work on a bow, the only thing out there to clamp a stave to is the big picnic table.  You'll need to bring clamps to do that.  I plan to bring my trade bow out and do some shooting with it.  But, I really am looking forward to knapping with everybody.  This is gonna be fun!  Look for a PM in the near future with directions.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #85 on: April 13, 2012, 01:37:19 pm »
Whew Who!!!

We're on the short count now!!!
Be gathering my Camping/Cooking Gear together this weekend.

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #86 on: April 13, 2012, 01:56:47 pm »
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #87 on: April 14, 2012, 11:10:36 am »
Sounds good Mr. George! I'll start rounding up everything during this week. Gonna see if i can get one of these chainsaws working rather than haul wood out there. Hope that weather holds out.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #88 on: April 16, 2012, 04:47:51 pm »
All of you that I had on the list as being interested in the get-together should have received a couple PM'd maps.  The guys hunting this past weekend got a real nice double-bearded gobbler but saw no hogs.  The 30+ mph winds may have had something to do with that. 

Cipriano sent me some pictures of our rattlesnake dinner...

I prefer to fillet the "loins" off the snakes Cipriano.  Do you guys care if I do that before we fry it up?  It makes the pieces small, but much easier to eat.

Gus and Mr. C are covering Fri and Sat dinners (at least the meat), Byron has Saturday lunch, and I have Saturday breakfast.  Does anybody have some fresh eggs they could bring for Sunday breakfast?  Anything else we need food-wise?

The weather forecast is still for severe clear out as far as it shows.  Looks good.  I'll be bringing my Stihl too Paul.  Looking forward to the weekend. ;D

George
St Paul, TX

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #89 on: April 16, 2012, 05:04:02 pm »
Rattletail steaks, mmm. Haven't had snake in years - taste's like chicken ::). I have a few hens here and will bring all the eggs they'll give up. Been hiding them all over the place here lately. I'll just fill a cooler up with some kind of sausage or something to throw in the kitty. Don't have any recent killed fresh meat to bring this year. I need to round up some bi-faces and such for the cooking demo and a thousand other things..
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.