Author Topic: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information  (Read 693877 times)

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
Re: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information
« Reply #1605 on: February 23, 2016, 06:45:33 pm »
Gutshot, 90% of my bows have been osage and I've not yet had any detrimental effects from dark streaks. They add character IMO. Dark red has been good to me, dark brown hasn't caused any conflicts but have had some that cracked while heat straightening in those areas. I generally saturate them with thin ca sg and experienced no problems.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline jandersson

« Reply #1606 on: February 23, 2016, 07:38:09 pm »
half eye,
I like that idea! I've only made bendies and I always make that same mistake of taking off to much at the handle. Maybe I can get it right this time.

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #1607 on: February 23, 2016, 07:40:00 pm »
Gutshot, 90% of my bows have been osage and I've not yet had any detrimental effects from dark streaks. They add character IMO. Dark red has been good to me, dark brown hasn't caused any conflicts but have had some that cracked while heat straightening in those areas. I generally saturate them with thin ca sg and experienced no problems.

That's good news now for the bad. 3" out of the fade just found a bad spot in the wood and it tore out before I knew it was even there. It's 3/8" deep the pic is from the belly side. Thought about mixing up smooth on with a lot of sage dust and fill it in. Any ideas all is welcome. I did talk to Osage outlaw about it and I'm going to let him take a look at it at moontree. So plan B will now be my bow and will start another plan b soon

Offline half eye

« Reply #1608 on: February 23, 2016, 07:57:12 pm »
Damned Gutshot....that darned Osage aint give ya nothin but trouble sir.....I sure hope ya can save it, and I am pretty sure that Osage Outlaw is the guy to ask 8)

Mr. Andersson.....I was never "book" taught about making bows so please take this with a grain of salt sir. After each scrape session, when I draw the bow I "feel" what it's doing.....quite literally. You have to look of course to make sure you are not way out of whack mind you, but as to the power, smoothness and amount of bend I go by feel. When you have the bow along a little try this....shut your eyes and slowly draw it....and just feel what is happening and after a bit you you can call an uneven bend without looking.....but please dont tiller that baby with your eyes closed >:D >:D
rich

Offline half eye

« Reply #1609 on: February 23, 2016, 08:10:53 pm »
Mr. Andersson,  I did forget to mention one little tip you may find useful.  When using your files or scraper etc on those fades allways go "up-hill" (from the belly to the fade) not the other way around....here is why. No matter how careful you are if you go "downhill" your tool will leave a very small "divot" in the belly and if you go into the fade you will leave that "divot" in the grip fade where it will not cause any possible hinge issues.
rich

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #1610 on: February 23, 2016, 08:34:56 pm »
Gutshot, how wide and deep is it at that point? IMPO I think it can be solidified before it presents a problem.

Doesn't look like you'll lose 1/4". Have you got room to spare?
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #1611 on: February 23, 2016, 08:42:49 pm »
Gutshot - I think that Fred may be right!
Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch

Offline TimothyR

• PM110782
« Reply #1612 on: February 23, 2016, 09:50:09 pm »
Gutshot. I maybe completely wrong but if you are going to round off the belly wouldn't that go away?  I haven't made very many bows so I'm definitely no expert.
Freedom dies one compromise at a time. III%

Offline ajooter

« Reply #1613 on: February 23, 2016, 09:58:21 pm »
That's a tough break gut....I'm sure you'll work thru it somehow.  It will still certainly make a bow even if it's not the one you were hoping for.

Offline Drewster

« Reply #1614 on: February 23, 2016, 10:16:07 pm »
Man, that's a bummer Gut.  Hope you can figure out a way to salvage her.  Keep us posted.
Drew - Boone, NC

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #1615 on: February 23, 2016, 10:22:55 pm »
Patrick -

Thanks for the reply - you are correct the right limb (which will be the top limb) is slightly weaker than the left limb (lower).  Everything you said makes perfect sense - except one sentence..."The bottom limb is the one you want to be positive."  From what I have learned, when the top limb is bending more (say 6.25") compared to the bottom limb (say 6.0")  the bow is in positive tiller - the top limb is bending .25" more making it the positive limb.  Do I have this wrong?

I also placed the hook of my tillering tree on the string just below where the arrow will be nocked.  I tillered so that the rope pulled down a straight line I have marked on the board behind the rope.

Mitch

Yes sir,  you have that right. It looks like I got jumbled up in my own explanation. Sorry about that.

Having a positive tiller isn't always what the bow might want. Part of the reason a lot of guys tiller the last few inches by hand. I've made several with the positive tiller difference being 1/8 inch or less. A few that wanted to be dead even and one for some reason that wanted to be about 5/15 inch.  I find that if they are dead even to 1/8 inch positive and everything else is kosher then they are accurate and silent.

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #1616 on: February 23, 2016, 10:30:19 pm »
Hey Rich -  I really like the looks of that osage you are working on.  Do you mind a couple of questions?

I was just wondering why you decided to flip the tips.  It appears to be fairly long and the string angle does not seem to be excessive.  Is there an "advantage" to flipping those last 4 inches?  I made a white wood recurve a while back just to see if I could do it, but really don't know if it turned out much better than if I would have left the limbs straight.  I am thinking of maybe trying to flip the tips on my next selfbow - I am thinking either some HHB or osage.  Enlighten me oh wise one.  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #1617 on: February 23, 2016, 10:35:22 pm »
Thanks Patrick - I appreciate the help!  I shot my bow about 20 times tonight short drawing it a bit just to get a feel for it as I finish tillering out the last few inches.  It feels pretty balanced during the shot.  The limbs might be settling in a bit (if there is such a thing) as the static brace is now with an 1/8" with the top limb bending slightly more.
Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #1618 on: February 23, 2016, 10:36:28 pm »
The limb is 1 3/4" wide 3/8 thick.

It's parallel for the first 16" out of the fade then tapers to 1/2 at knock.

Rounding the belly want work the tear out is 3 1/2" long 3/8 at the deepest point

I can narrow my limb to 1 1/4" wide and that would take care of it but I would have to take it all off that one side.

Then I might not make my draw and weight. Which then again I can make it and see what it turns out. I could always flip the tips to get a little poundage. But once again not make my draw.

Or I can just hope for the best with the BL. The raw hide turned out great and it's been tillered to long string and it's now setting at 30lb at 10" draw.

I'm just glad we have till August 1st 😜

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #1619 on: February 23, 2016, 10:49:40 pm »
Thanks Patrick - I appreciate the help!  I shot my bow about 20 times tonight short drawing it a bit just to get a feel for it as I finish tillering out the last few inches.  It feels pretty balanced during the shot.  The limbs might be settling in a bit (if there is such a thing) as the static brace is now with an 1/8" with the top limb bending slightly more.

Your very welcome! Sounds like you got a handle on it. Can't wait to see your full draw!

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!