Author Topic: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information  (Read 693872 times)

Offline DuBois

Re: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information
« Reply #1755 on: March 01, 2016, 11:22:37 am »
Don't feel bad for being MIA for a few days Rich. I'm sure we're all just glad to have you here  ;)
I have not been able to be in here near as much as I would like either for a variety of reasons.
I always feel like I'm out of the loop by the time I try to read up on these fellas bows in progress.
I am lovin your HHB there mister!

Y'all are leavin me in the dust and I kinda like it. Keep up the awesome work!

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #1756 on: March 01, 2016, 11:28:06 am »
Gut....Looks like there might be a hint of a flat spot a couple inches out from the left fade running 10" or so.  Other then that it looks great.  Got a pic of the unbraced profile?

No I don't but I measured the reflex in it last night she is still holding 11-2 " started out with 2 1-2. I'm hoping I have around 1" of reflex when I'm done.

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #1757 on: March 01, 2016, 03:19:56 pm »
man Rich i really like an eastern woodland huntin bow (hint,hint). nice work sir. Gut , bend is lookin good.
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline PlanB

• SRHacksaw
« Reply #1758 on: March 01, 2016, 03:57:26 pm »
Great bow Rich!
Gutshot, very pretty curve!
I love it when a plan B comes together....

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #1759 on: March 01, 2016, 04:05:36 pm »
Well, we had a gentleman cancel out of the bow trade. He has some family matters that need attended to and didn't feel he would have the time required to fulfill his part.

I appreciate his effort in allowing us plenty of time to make the required changes. Arrangements are being made to compensate.

Most of us are now in the tillering stages with our bows and others are in the finish stages or have already completed their project.

I'll be taking a close look this week at those that I feel are behind and may need additional help to get them up to at least the tillering process.

Anyone having difficulty with their bows at this point are expected to begin posting and letting us know where they are at and what needs to be done on our part to help them with their project.

I'll also be sending emails or PM's to those who have not shown what I feel is enough participation or progress at this stage. You're the only ones that know who you are and what your up to. If you don't ask for help either by PM or post then we can't be of much help to you.

There is  deadline and I intend to see that it is met. There are just a few that haven't shown anything reasonable up to this point and all I ask is that if you won't or can't meet your obligation, please do us all a favor and get out now. >>>-----> Fred

I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #1760 on: March 01, 2016, 04:12:11 pm »
Well said Fred. Things seem to be going well as far as I can tell. I'm very happy to be a part of this trade. I'm out of state on work, but will get back to working on plan b next week. I also will be putting the lipstick on plan a, just making it pretty at this point. ;)

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline half eye

« Reply #1761 on: March 01, 2016, 04:30:56 pm »
Fred,
    Please advise if there is a need for an "extra" sir.......everyone who is participating seems to be smokin as said......so maybe anybody who wants out like you said will be courteous enough to advise now as requested.
rich

Offline PlanB

• SRHacksaw
« Reply #1762 on: March 01, 2016, 04:39:52 pm »
I might have an extra--- Plans B and A so far....

« Last Edit: November 19, 2021, 02:17:31 pm by PlanB »

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #1763 on: March 01, 2016, 05:15:17 pm »
I might have an extra--- Plans B and A so far....

Dang are those twins. That's a sure nice finish PlanB what is it if you don't care to share?

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #1764 on: March 01, 2016, 05:16:01 pm »
I don't believe we need an extra. I will let you know if that does occur though.

Take for instance I'm building for Rich and I have an accident and can't fulfill my obligation. That leaves me out. So whomever is building for me would now be obligated to build for Rich since I'm no longer in the trade. Most of the guys in the trade are between 45-65# with a 26-29" draw so if the bow you are working on was 50-60# it would still be in the ballpark the biggest exception would occur if you cut a shelf for RH and your new guys is a southpaw. Now watch Murphy's Law come into effect  :laugh:

With this group we can work around the minor inconveniences and still have a very exciting and successful trade.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #1765 on: March 01, 2016, 05:20:10 pm »
Ajooter just got home from work and took a pick of the unbraced BL you requested and where you mentioned it looked a little flat there is 2 knots there I've been fighting but it is bending there alittle just don't want it to get weak in That spot.

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #1766 on: March 01, 2016, 05:24:57 pm »
I don't believe we need an extra. I will let you know if that does occur though.

Take for instance I'm building for Rich and I have an accident and can't fulfill my obligation. That leaves me out. So whomever is building for me would now be obligated to build for Rich since I'm no longer in the trade. Most of the guys in the trade are between 45-65# with a 26-29" draw so if the bow you are working on was 50-60# it would still be in the ballpark the biggest exception would occur if you cut a shelf for RH and your new guys is a southpaw. Now watch Murphy's Law come into effect  :laugh

I'm a southpaw Fred. Probably the only one in the trade besides Rich he shoots how ever he feels like that day. LOL

Offline PlanB

• SRHacksaw
« Reply #1767 on: March 01, 2016, 05:49:41 pm »

Dang are those twins. That's a sure nice finish PlanB what is it if you don't care to share?

Nope, GS, they are a little different -- plan B on the left is 2" wide and about 5 lbs heavier than Plan A which is 1-5/8" wide. Plan B has a lot more shape in both directions, and Plan A has shorter fades. Both about 59" ttt and both bend some through the handle. Both are black birch, which is about as white a sapwood as you could have. So it seemed like making them near black would suit the name of the wood better! Plus I like a dark stain after I did my elm character bow last summer that way. I used some very old half dried up in the can oil stains mixed up together, and I used tung oil.

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #1768 on: March 01, 2016, 05:53:57 pm »
A left handed self bow only differs from a right handed one if your cutting a shelf correct? If your string alignment is centered, you should be able to shoot either side of symmetric handle, I would think.

Those black birches look sweet with the high shine ebony finish. A black rat snake skin would be a nice compliment to a finish like those.   
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline Drewster

« Reply #1769 on: March 01, 2016, 05:55:31 pm »
Fred, thanks for doing such a great job managing this trade.  Maybe we will have a few guys fall by the wayside but this is my very best experience with a trade......super job.

Rich, sorry to hear you've been feeling poorly.  Glad you're better and back in the groove.  That bow looks terrific........I like it a LOT.

PlanB, that finish looks really nice.  Hope you will share how you did that and show us a few close up shots. 

Gutshot, that BL bow is looking better every time you post.  Keep it going  s   l   o    w   and easy.

I've been tillering my bow and am pleased with the progress.  I'm out to about 16".  I'll post a pic soon.  I got sidetracked with a woodworking project for our clubhouse and will be back on bows soon.

Cheers all!
Drew - Boone, NC