Author Topic: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information  (Read 693882 times)

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

Re: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information
« Reply #2115 on: March 22, 2016, 11:19:01 pm »
Hammer that is the first time I've seen a bull snake and I got to say it looks awesome on that bow.

Ajooter bow is getting close looks like you are about to take that thing.

Offline ajooter

« Reply #2116 on: March 22, 2016, 11:38:27 pm »
I'll hopefully be letting you know about that string shortly Gut?  >:D

Offline Sidmand

« Reply #2117 on: March 23, 2016, 09:57:54 am »
Got a few mintues to do some stuff to my one of my staves - took my carving ax to it and got the stave down to a uniformish 1" thick.  Its sitting at 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 wide, 1 inch thick, and it just barely flexes right now.  Going to leave it be till the weekend while I get some wood together for a caul, then I'm going to strap it down and try to even out the reflex some with a little dry heat.
"Criticism is something we can avoid easily by saying nothing, doing nothing, and being nothing." --> Aristotle

Offline ajooter

« Reply #2118 on: March 23, 2016, 10:22:00 am »
Lookin good sid...I'm digging that carving axe!

You may want to reduce your belly a little closer to bow dimensions before you put it on a caul.   You can still leave it wide, but depending on what kind of profile your making and final draw weight you should be able to take it down to a uniform half inch over the length of the limbs.  It will take ton heat bending much nicer for ya.

Offline Sidmand

« Reply #2119 on: March 23, 2016, 10:52:07 am »
I was thinking the same thing after I got it thinned out.  I am wondering now though if maybe I'm jumping the gun a bit?  I don't think that stave is fully dry yet, I don't have a moisture meter, but I'm going to get one this week.  If I reduce it down closer to floor tiller, and it's still damp, and I go to heating it up, is it likely to check more?  I was thinking that if I took it down to floor tiller, it would dry out a lot faster, especially here in Bama.  I'm pretty sure that Mom Nature is about to set the thermostat on 80+ here real soon.

I am going to finish chasing the ring on my other (seasoned) stave, hopefully soon, maybe by the end on the weekend.  I will get it roughed out as well and get some pics of it so we can figure out what corrections it's going to need.

That carving ax is a custom, I ordered it over the Christmas holiday.  Cost me $120 (my whole Christmas budget for me, but I needed a good ax).  It took a little longer to get it than I liked, but the guy fell and broke a couple ribs, so I can't exactly fault him for that, I was just being impatient.  But, it's a Plumb riggers ax that he re-profiled and reshaped, and then rehung on a great handle.  It is crazy/scary sharp, and holds an edge well to, I shaved my arm with it AFTER I cut down that stave.   Here are some pics of it.

"Criticism is something we can avoid easily by saying nothing, doing nothing, and being nothing." --> Aristotle

Offline ajooter

« Reply #2120 on: March 23, 2016, 12:06:55 pm »
Beautiful...what's the make on the axe?

If you reduce it down and then weight it every couple days you  will be able to see it lose moisture.  A lot of these guys can tell how dry it is just by the way you take shavings or make dust. Fred or Rich will be able to tell ya.  I think it can check on ya if you heat treat it too early.  Just make sure the back and ends are sealed up really good. I just use Elmer's glue.

Offline Sidmand

« Reply #2121 on: March 23, 2016, 01:55:18 pm »
ajooter -> that is a vintage Plumb riggers axe head, but it's been modified heavily.  Craig (the guy I bought it from) cut out the bottom to allow for my hand to be up close to the head.  He also cut and flattened a couple of small flat areas in the head on top and in the hand hold area to allow me to use a ferro rod/striker when I carry that sucker out with me to harvest staves.  I like to carry a little wood stove with me when I'm out there and make lunch, and I like having fire starting options ;)

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #2122 on: March 23, 2016, 03:55:11 pm »
Again , everyones work is lookin great. Hammer those skins are saweeet! Got plan 3 heat treated and reflexed the other day than had a bit of a health scare. Sunday at work started havin crazy chest pains and got super dizzy, called the zoo's medic and my blood pressure was 177/111. They shipped me to the hospital, ran a bunch of tests and 3 hrs later said "your good" . Dont know what brought it on, but have been takin it easy for a few days. Feel fine now, see the doc tomorrow and hopefully get to work on a bow this weekend. I'm 43 and in ok shape but realise its time to buck up.
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2123 on: March 23, 2016, 04:03:33 pm »
Energy drink drinker?
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #2124 on: March 23, 2016, 05:05:35 pm »
Never had an energy drink . Coffee and water an occasional Dew from time to time. I dont eat the best and my exercise regimen gets spotty . I think it was a wake up call.
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline hammertime

• no shoes no shirt, no problems
« Reply #2125 on: March 23, 2016, 05:51:28 pm »
Thanks all the bull snake came from a friend in south Dakota....cool axe! -Hammer time

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #2126 on: March 23, 2016, 06:02:00 pm »
I'll hopefully be letting you know about that string shortly Gut?  >:D
Just shoot me a PM on length nock to nock and colors. I will have more colors after the ninth of April

Offline PlanB

• SRHacksaw
« Reply #2127 on: March 23, 2016, 09:16:54 pm »
Sid that axe mod is pretty cool! Good to see your stave coming along.
I love it when a plan B comes together....

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #2128 on: March 23, 2016, 09:31:53 pm »
To catch everybody up on what I'm doing now. Since I've got my trade bow finished. I've started a maple bow for myself. It's going to be 56" ntn. I've done a pyramid style with rigid handle. In the fades I've sanded in a small backbone for looks. I'm heat treating the belly on a caul to give it about 2 1/2" of reflex. Shooting for a 26" draw @ 55lb. Wanting to try to get this done. Before the classic. I'm going to try to go down there. Ok I've also picked up some seasoned Osage and I'm going to get started on a plan B for the trade. Just in case something happens to the BL.  I'm going to attempt the self knocks and forward handle again but this time I'm going to leave plenty of meat on the belly side of the handle. I'm looking forward to see if I fail again or make a bow this time.

Offline PlanB

• SRHacksaw
« Reply #2129 on: March 23, 2016, 10:08:16 pm »
Just to also catch youall up on where I am -- currently tillering a 68" black birch pyramid bow, which would be Plan C for me. Plan B black birch Sudbury stye shorty continues to shoot well, couple hundred arrows now, 60" ttt @ 50 lb. Does stack a little, and maintains the 1-1/4" string follow. I want to see how Plan C performs before making a decision for my recipient.
I love it when a plan B comes together....