Author Topic: Not buying it on leatherwall  (Read 13769 times)

Offline Selfbowman

Re: Not buying it on leatherwall
« Reply #75 on: December 05, 2020, 08:56:52 pm »
I'm  surprised that a guy who won't test his own bows would offer an opinion.

Sorry Shawn I’m laughing my butt off. Pretty good one Pat.
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #76 on: December 05, 2020, 09:18:27 pm »
I shot Marc's Sinbad bow thousands of times over 30", and have had 2 others that he built for me that took the same abuse while practicing and hunting. Mark Introduced me to my friend Steve Gardner, who has handed me too many fast bows to count.

Yes but you failed to mention that you had a 31" draw when I made the bow and I had tillered it to 28"  ???.  Imagine my shock when you told me you were shooting it at 31"  :o

3” over a already extremely high performance design. Marc you really do “keep it flexible “
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline HH~

« Reply #77 on: December 06, 2020, 06:51:48 am »
I do like Bobs "Marc bow". I have seen that design here in my house. Went to the Static Rack and Bingo. It appears to me its a early Bear Grizzly clone. The static bend is an exact match to my eyes. I never thought mine was that fast. I have to shoot it against my Super Pyramid.

I would think with a doppler you could find the most efficient arrow for flite shooting. Which arrow over its entire flight flies faster and looses the least amount energy. That would Trump which one is 10-20fps faster. Works that way with micro shafts in other materials. my 38lb bow shoots flatter than my 40lb bow when i shoot a micro thats heavier than my 5/6ths light shafts. Reducing drag using doppler I would think is where your biggest gain would be in the new age.

HH~
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #78 on: December 06, 2020, 07:20:13 am »
The problem here is that you think that having more sensors will make a difference in velocity the chronograph reports, it doesn't.  It's the software in the machine which calculates the velocity

P.S. By the way, I've been using a chronograph for 30 years so I know a little bit about them
« Last Edit: December 06, 2020, 07:23:36 am by Marc St Louis »
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline PatM

« Reply #79 on: December 06, 2020, 07:49:58 am »
The side profile may match the  Grizzly but the front one does not.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #80 on: December 06, 2020, 08:43:10 am »
The problem here is that you think that having more sensors will make a difference in velocity the chronograph reports, it doesn't.  It's the software in the machine which calculates the velocity

P.S. By the way, I've been using a chronograph for 30 years so I know a little bit about them

Lol. My newest tractor needs one more sensor. To tell it that it’s just a screwed up sensor. And to just ignore the bad sensor.

Bjrogg

A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline HH~

« Reply #81 on: December 06, 2020, 08:55:40 am »
Thats only about tens years less than when I got my first Chrono.

Yer right,  the electronics that calculate speed with three sensors is why Dr Oehlers were so much more accurate.

Shawn~

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #82 on: December 06, 2020, 12:18:06 pm »
And why I don't believe it.  If you're astute enough you can tell when the chrono gives you a bad reading, and I've had many of those. 

If the chrony was 15 fps fast with an arrow how far off would it be with a rifle, and before you try and tell me that it's only 15 fps it just doesn't work that way.  If it was that bad nobody would buy it plus there's enough data out there that verifies its accuracy.  Still if that's what you want to believe then by all means.

I feel for you Brian, I really do  (lol)

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline HH~

« Reply #83 on: December 06, 2020, 01:45:55 pm »
Never was interested in an arrow speed but when yer on the Palma line 15-20fps at 1000yds makes a big difference, X or into 9

10-20 fps not gonna make hoot with an arrow at 20yds. If its in the soft spot its a dead critter but youll prolly tell me different.

Point is time after time testing yer avg reloading supply house chrony they are usally reading faster than a good one. Just a fact. Yer certainly not going to convince me otherwise. I will say its possible a new $200 one may be an improvement over time.

HH~

Offline PatM

« Reply #84 on: December 06, 2020, 02:56:14 pm »
Yet  you still try to make a "fast" bow, right?

Even if you're too  timid to find out the truth, you still want it to seem  fast.  Thus the use of the term "rocket"  when describing the vaunted 'Super Pyramid", rather than "tack driver".

Offline HH~

« Reply #85 on: December 06, 2020, 03:38:32 pm »
Never.

HH~

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #86 on: December 06, 2020, 07:44:48 pm »
Never was interested in an arrow speed but when yer on the Palma line 15-20fps at 1000yds makes a big difference, X or into 9

10-20 fps not gonna make hoot with an arrow at 20yds. If its in the soft spot its a dead critter but youll prolly tell me different.

Point is time after time testing yer avg reloading supply house chrony they are usally reading faster than a good one. Just a fact. Yer certainly not going to convince me otherwise. I will say its possible a new $200 one may be an improvement over time.

HH~

If you watch this video you'll see that it's actually the opposite of what you claim, the Oehler shoots faster.  Go figure

htt://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzNKUAgpKNY

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline HH~

« Reply #87 on: December 07, 2020, 07:24:50 am »
User error.

I have seen Chrono's do every conceivable thing over the years. I've seen Oehlers give crazy readings, really nutty ones. First you have to screens correct for light angle. Keep them in good order. Then, we always would take a good .22 Rf olympic rifle with to Palma matches. Set up the chrony a 34 or 35 and put a string of Eley Red or Black Box thru it. If was off by more than 5fps we knew how to adjust it and reshoot.

While yer sufing for two click answers to base your theory on check out some LONG RANGE shooter arcticles theres only about 40yrs worth showing fast and slow readings. Prolly help you figger out how to set and use a good Chronograph and there are some great ones but you have to know WTH yer doing with any of em in setting it up.

https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/oehler-35p-thoughts-review.51451/

HH~
« Last Edit: December 07, 2020, 07:48:21 am by HedgeHunter »

Offline PatM

« Reply #88 on: December 07, 2020, 07:54:57 am »
Great chance to prove your point by shooting one of your own to give everyone an accurate sample.

Offline HH~

« Reply #89 on: December 07, 2020, 08:01:35 am »
Tel ya what, Ive shot thru a chrony since God was a Corporal. You want a good unit, get an Oehler 35 pay yer $ or use a $100 cheap chit and believe what you want. Simple as that.

Go to Oehler.com pay up or use junk and swear your stuff shoots rockets. I dont care, Dont waste my time shooting arrows thru a chronograph.

Shawn~