Author Topic: Not buying it on leatherwall  (Read 13753 times)

Offline mmattockx

Re: Not buying it on leatherwall
« Reply #105 on: December 08, 2020, 11:54:39 am »
Let's just keep making bows that we like and call it good.

That's the best way. None of it is worth getting tweaked up about and there should be room for everybody who likes traditional archery.

Mark

Offline bassman

« Reply #106 on: December 08, 2020, 12:52:10 pm »
2122 reviews, and 105 replies. That is a superior thread .Last time we had a thread like that on here it was the fire hardening thread which had every body fired up.. Any of you guys who are disgusted by this thread ever  have a heated argument  about one thing or another. I will answer. We all have. It is a discussion about speed machines, and speed of wooden,and lam bows which go together, and what they are capable of.. Opinions should be welcome. You listen,and make up your own mind. Stop reading threads you don't like ,and move on. That is the best way to deal with it.

Offline scp

« Reply #107 on: December 08, 2020, 12:53:59 pm »
We cannot allow any blatant attacks on the integrity of anyone or any product without proper and sufficient evidence.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2020, 12:59:19 pm by scp »

Offline bassman

« Reply #108 on: December 08, 2020, 01:10:39 pm »
Under stood.

Offline PatM

« Reply #109 on: December 08, 2020, 01:15:04 pm »
I'm not on leatherwall, what's it about anyway?

Guys on there were discussing how fast a 40 pound bow could shoot and someone mentioned 200 FPS from a wood based bow.

This thread has swung towards a guy who is too shy to shoot his own telling everyone else they are wrong.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #110 on: December 08, 2020, 01:46:34 pm »
for me its about stating information as fact,, that may be questionable,, its going to get some response that may not be seem positive,, I think its ok to question,, I think PatM said it well,,I try to stay open minded and polite,,but am not afraid to question when statements seem unrealistic or questionalbe,,as an old guy, I feel I need to speak up when needed,,  (-S

Offline Allyn T

• I'm addicted to information
« Reply #111 on: December 08, 2020, 02:55:22 pm »
PatM is on fire I could read this stuff all day  (-P
In the woods I find my peace

bownarra

« Reply #112 on: December 09, 2020, 12:26:06 am »

If you can get your hands on some high quality Elm it will work as well and in some cases better than the Ironwood.  Ironwood can be a pain to bend in the recurves sometimes, I've never had a problem with Elm
[/quote]

I have never made a bow with the hop hb. This is a log I got about 10+ years ago and it has been sat ever since. I will probably run a cut down them and bend em kerfed. Thanks for the advise.
The elm billets are already well on their way to becoming a bow. Recurves bent in ,limb profiles tweaked a bit and now ready to splice. It will come in at 63" ish when spliced. From its feel I would say this quality stuff, we will see.
I'll start another thread and put some pictures up.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #113 on: December 09, 2020, 04:59:46 am »
the real irony is that the thread was about people on the LW questioning selfbows...then this...we're supposed to know better, but it is 2020.  I hope everything is better in 2021.  A chronograph is just a tool to compare my bows if I want to do that.  Mine are made in the USA, give equal readings, and will tell me if a new bow is as fast as an old bow...I can do the same thing by just shooting a 10gpp arrow at my 200 yard fence from both, and it's easier as well as way more fun.  Let's just keep making bows that we like and call it good.   (SH)

If we had a "like button" on this forum, I would have liked this!

Me too.

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline ibex

« Reply #114 on: December 09, 2020, 06:05:27 am »
This is just my opinion from the other side of the wall. From a 10GPP 28" ATA/AMO draw standpoint, Uukha marketed limbs are the fastest speed "certified" synthetic" limbs that I know of. The website contains force draw curves and speed results. I will post some clips if allowed here. I'm convinced that Marc and Steve Gs (and possibly others that  have not shot) wood bow speeds are right up there with the Uukha results.
𝙄𝙩'𝙨 𝙣𝙞𝙘𝙚 𝙩𝙤 𝙗𝙚 𝙞𝙢𝙥𝙤𝙧𝙩𝙖𝙣𝙩, 𝙗𝙪𝙩 𝙞𝙩'𝙨 𝙢𝙤𝙧𝙚 𝙞𝙢𝙥𝙤𝙧𝙩𝙖𝙣𝙩 𝙩𝙤 𝙗𝙚 𝙣𝙞𝙘𝙚.

Offline HH~

« Reply #115 on: December 09, 2020, 09:30:12 am »
Chrono 101:

Spend the $ and get a good one.

Shawn~
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline PatM

« Reply #116 on: December 09, 2020, 09:36:42 am »
Chrono 101:

Spend the $ and get a good one.

Shawn~

Proving a point 101:

Provide data.

Offline sleek

« Reply #117 on: December 09, 2020, 09:54:56 am »
This is getting old.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #118 on: December 09, 2020, 10:16:20 am »
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline ibex

« Reply #119 on: December 09, 2020, 03:53:36 pm »
 I wonder if the guys at Tradlab would test selfbows? They are doing a good job with the modern stuff.
𝙄𝙩'𝙨 𝙣𝙞𝙘𝙚 𝙩𝙤 𝙗𝙚 𝙞𝙢𝙥𝙤𝙧𝙩𝙖𝙣𝙩, 𝙗𝙪𝙩 𝙞𝙩'𝙨 𝙢𝙤𝙧𝙚 𝙞𝙢𝙥𝙤𝙧𝙩𝙖𝙣𝙩 𝙩𝙤 𝙗𝙚 𝙣𝙞𝙘𝙚.