Author Topic: water/cape buffulo with stone points........ has it been done??  (Read 48055 times)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: water/cape buffulo with stone points........ has it been done??
« Reply #105 on: December 22, 2009, 03:31:29 pm »
 I was wondering about a straight on, frontal shot?
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline stickbender

« Reply #106 on: December 22, 2009, 05:07:22 pm »

Uh huh, ok, .......
     Eddie, I don't know about that!  I would think that you would have too small of target area, to get penetration into the vital areas, and the fact that you would be eye to eye, and you would be pretty darn close. :o  But if it is you, and you are wearing the kilt, I suppose you could shoot, s#$%, and run, much easier, than with blue jeans on..... ;D  You go for it though.  But if you do, can I have your tear drop trailer? 8)  You wouldn't want Cathy putting it on E-bay :o....Oh, and can I have your .22?, just looking out for your interest you know...... ::), and your stone artifacts, and bows, and arrows, and jeep, and ........ ;D

Wayne

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #107 on: December 22, 2009, 10:49:18 pm »
  What guns, bows, arrows? Jeep!, don't know what you mean?
Lakeland, Florida

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #108 on: December 22, 2009, 10:51:47 pm »
That frontal kill is perfect for a spear backup.  :-*
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline zeNBowyer

« Reply #109 on: December 22, 2009, 11:02:01 pm »
I'de  like to  see that-a  hunter  facing  off a charging  buff  with a  spear:)
"There's  something  immoral  about  abandoning  your  own  judgement"
Cowards always run in  packs
Ishi did not become the arrow, I suspect. The arrow became Ishi.

Offline Kegan

« Reply #110 on: December 23, 2009, 08:01:11 am »
I wonder if those shots are precent recovery of the hunter after that buffulo is done with him :D?

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #111 on: December 23, 2009, 02:40:41 pm »
 Zen, go back and look at that African video you posted. Those crazy natives didn't have a problem getting close and sticking it with a spear.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline zeNBowyer

« Reply #112 on: December 23, 2009, 03:11:49 pm »
I  didn't  post anything re:  Buffalo, and one  person with  a spear  facing  a  charging cape  buffalo does  not equate  to  a  party  of  hunters spearing  a hippo:) But  I  suppose a  cape buffalo could  be  taken with a party  of  spear  chuckers, although  I  would  be  calling  in  sick  that  day  myself:)

Offline DanaM

« Reply #113 on: December 23, 2009, 07:38:15 pm »
I'm wondering id Tiller is still going to wear a loin cloth and lure it into the open for ya eddie >:D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #114 on: December 23, 2009, 11:08:02 pm »
 that might work, Dana. But we know this is the boy's busiest time of the year. ::)
Lakeland, Florida

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #115 on: December 23, 2009, 11:22:41 pm »
I'm wondering id Tiller is still going to wear a loin cloth and lure it into the open for ya eddie >:D
The really cool thing is Tiller smells pretty enough that you don't have to worry about the buff smelling you.  ::) :-*
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

hermitking

« Reply #116 on: December 24, 2009, 02:10:26 am »
 :o

I don't know if it has been posted here yet, but from what I have been told, Cape buffalo have 4 inch wide ribs that almost overlap like scales.  It is unlikely that any arrowhead is going to slip between the ribs.  To bow kill one I would suggest a very heavy arrow with a very thick bone crushing head. 

I was told by a fellow who read up on Mongol war strategy that the way Mongols dispatched elephants was with a solid iron or steel arrow shaft.  The head and shaft were on piece of metal.  I am not sure if they used fletching, but up close these iron arrows were supposedly able to penetrate the elephant's skull.  Being that the arrow must have been extreemly heavy by arrow standards, I suspect that these were close range shots performed in group volleys. This was back in the good old days when men used elephants for war mounts and artillary platforms.  The elephants were probably armored at times.

Other than those comments I would only add that I would never hunt a Cape Buffalo with gun, bow or other hand held dispatcher.  I might consider an armored vehical, like an abrams tank, etc.  Hunting moose is enough for me.

Offline zeNBowyer

« Reply #117 on: December 24, 2009, 02:28:18 am »
I  hope  someone  posts some  more info  on  that steel  arrow,
that  would  be  an interesting  high  tech  'dart' coming  from  a heavy  bow:)

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #118 on: December 24, 2009, 11:42:02 am »
Hermit, go back and read the previous page. And YES, quartering shots can pass between the ribs.  We already know that buff can be taken with wood bows with wood arrows and metal points because it has been done. The only question now is which stone and what point design.

SW Utah

Offline Kegan

« Reply #119 on: December 24, 2009, 11:45:37 am »
Hmmm. That elephant comment got me thinking. Hill used a fiberglass longbow, 115# at 28" with a 1700 gr aluminum arrow and a larger one of his normal heads (4" long and like 1.5" wide or soemthing). ANyway. He shot one of those into an elephant skull and only got three inches of penetration, and then got 31" on a broad side shot.

For his own buffulo I'm pretty sure he used his regular ~90# hunting bow with ~700 gr cedar arrows. Hmmm... >:D