Author Topic: 2015 Primitive Archer bow trade works in progress  (Read 352218 times)

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
Re: 2015 Primitive Archer bow trade works in progress
« Reply #1035 on: August 31, 2015, 06:18:58 pm »
As am I. Curious as we have 3 senders and so far that I know only two to receive. My list is done, so I don't know who has who anymore.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline bushboy

« Reply #1036 on: August 31, 2015, 06:26:05 pm »
To be very honest,your tiller is very whipped.only bending far out on the limbs.i'msure it shoots like a rocket but the longevity i'm not sure?prove me wrong I hope!i wet a rag to protect the back.
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline sleek

« Reply #1037 on: August 31, 2015, 06:29:37 pm »
It is whip tillered but I dont think its a problem.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline bushboy

« Reply #1038 on: August 31, 2015, 06:39:17 pm »
Bad string alingment,no prob,whip tillered no prob so sleek what is important?lol?
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #1039 on: August 31, 2015, 06:51:39 pm »
It's it whipped tillered? Or is he attempting an elliptical tiller? Not sure, the tips seam to me  to be stiff. What say you Kell?
 Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline sleek

« Reply #1040 on: August 31, 2015, 07:02:24 pm »
Bad string alingment,no prob,whip tillered no prob so sleek what is important?lol?

Well.... how it shoots.... duh! Lol

String alignment for the most part ( extreme cases excepted ) are a mind over matter thing. If you dont mind, it dont matter. Just put the arrow pass on the side it shoots best from. Prop twist? Who cares, tiller and shoot anyway. It flattens out at full draw for the most part and what doesnt flatten out, again.... mind over matter. Whip tiller? Naw, its a nicely tillered short limbed bow with a looong riser. They are efficient just not incredible in speed. Little hand shock either. Not bad bows to shoot. I kinda like em to be honest, and they have their uses. For example, if a bad spot is inner limb, bend it less and make the outer bend more, making it more whip tillered to avoid breakage.

So what does matter, hinges, limb timing, and amount of working wood per amount of draw force and distance
 That matters. Beyond that, eh, it'll shoot.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline KellyG

« Reply #1041 on: September 01, 2015, 10:10:36 am »
Well I say I just try and tiller the bow so she shoots. It cast an arrow futher then any I have made. I feel a bit of hand shock. I dont mind an off string but this one is a bit more then what I would keep for myself. If you look at the first pic at the fresh of fthe caul there is a bit of reflex in the whole limbe and at fully draw the inner limbe looks flat and the circle is more at the ends. But hell I post pic. Listen to those who have done the a 100x more then me. But over all I like the bow. I would gladly hunt with it myself so that is the test of any bow I send out. would I keep and shoot it.

I added the grease and got the string tracking a bit better if it is at least over the edge of the handle I will leave it and put on my floppy finisnh the handle tips and put a skin on. Then tru oil and ship. God willing I will not be the last to ship. And I will have learned to not bite off more then I can chew. DO NOT ENTER 2 SWAPS AND PLAN A MOVE IN THE MIDDLE!  :P

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #1042 on: September 01, 2015, 10:57:21 am »
Its the two hinges that are going to be a killer, not the whip tillering or the string off the body of the bow. Hickory will stand strong for a good bit, but those areas will collapse and compress.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #1043 on: September 01, 2015, 06:04:52 pm »
Its the two hinges that are going to be a killer, not the whip tillering or the string off the body of the bow. Hickory will stand strong for a good bit, but those areas will collapse and compress.
That's what I like the most about the "good" and "bad" Chris's.......up standing kinda of guys. I appreciate your comments on any of my bows only makes me better..............
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #1044 on: September 01, 2015, 10:44:40 pm »
 Yep, I agree, Chris. There are a few people in this trade that really need to think about it next year before they jump it. Get a few good bows under your belt not just a couple. It's not fair to everybody involved and also work on your schedule. If you aren't motivated enough to make the deadline don't play. With the experience you should have it shouldn't take 6 months to produce one, safe, shootable bow.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #1045 on: September 01, 2015, 11:30:36 pm »
Kelly, It looks like you have about 12" of non-bending limb coming out of each fade.  You might take some scrapes off there and see if that helps the tiller any.  All of your bend is concentrated in a small portion of the limb.  That's not healthy for a selfbow.  Wood can only handle so much stress before it fails.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Josh B

« Reply #1046 on: September 02, 2015, 01:35:06 am »
I agree with your diagnosis Clint and the suggested fix.  However...by the time he removes enough wood to get the inner limbs bending properly, he's going to lose 8 to 10 pounds of draw weight.  You can fix hinged inner limbs much easier and with less loss of draw weight than you can a whip tillered limb.  If it wasn't for the fact that it's already past the deadline, I would suggest starting over.  That not being an option, I have to suggest getting the limbs bending properly even though it will result in a grossly underweight bow.  I'd rather have a durable lightweight bow than a bow at risk of folding up on me.  It sucks, but that's my take on it.  Josh

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #1047 on: September 02, 2015, 01:57:29 am »
I agree with your diagnosis Clint and the suggested fix.  However...by the time he removes enough wood to get the inner limbs bending properly, he's going to lose 8 to 10 pounds of draw weight.  You can fix hinged inner limbs much easier and with less loss of draw weight than you can a whip tillered limb.  If it wasn't for the fact that it's already past the deadline, I would suggest starting over.  That not being an option, I have to suggest getting the limbs bending properly even though it will result in a grossly underweight bow.  I'd rather have a durable lightweight bow than a bow at risk of folding up on me.  It sucks, but that's my take on it.  Josh

I agree Josh, a durable lighter weight bow would be better than a heavy weight with a potential Hazzard. Something to remember about this bow trade is this, it's not a custom bow order going to a paying customer. We all have had a bow break or an oops with a draw knife or a rasp, tillers that just don't want to cooperate and glue that don't hold. That's why when I tell someone my hobby is building bows and such, I don't  say I made a bow. I wouldn't be part of PA if that was true. I would have made the perfect bow and quit on the first try. And we all know that won't ever happen. Patrick

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #1048 on: September 02, 2015, 07:01:49 am »
Shootable/safe does not equate to a custom order Patrick. People in swaps simply want a bow they can shoot without concern. Does that sound like a custom order? To me its sounds realistic. 
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #1049 on: September 02, 2015, 07:52:32 am »
Shootable/safe does not equate to a custom order Patrick. People in swaps simply want a bow they can shoot without concern. Does that sound like a custom order? To me its sounds realistic.

Your right Pearl. I agree 100%, I believe that we are on the same track. I was pretty much trying to say that if a bow was sent to me that was under weight but had a good tiller and shoot nice. I wouldn't care a bit. The point is that, the specs I sent was to say, this is what I would like to have. Not the way it has to be. I hope that makes sense...  Patrick